Author Topic: DGX 670 - Spin up Leslie affect  (Read 2629 times)

Randall (Otis) Clifton

DGX 670 - Spin up Leslie affect
« on: August 30, 2021, 03:51:52 PM »
DGX 670-Can anyone tell me how to set the "leslie" affect so that it will spin up and down while I am playing a song?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:55:47 PM by Randall (Otis) Clifton »

Offline pjd

Re: DGX 670 - Spin up Leslie affect
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 12:46:32 AM »
Hi --

Similar questions arose in the Keyboard Corner forum:

No modulation wheel --> Organs sound great, but how are you supposed to speed the Leslie fast/slow?

Can you assign a rotary on/off with a custom panel setup? Pg 81 in the manual? Where is the on/off function assigned in their organ patches? Speed, is it possible to adjust ramp up/down or general slow and fast speeds in a registration?

My answer:

I don't own a DGX-670, but maybe I can point y'all in the right direction. I'm quite interested in the 670 myself and flipped through the manuals. Plus, several years in PSR/Genos-land help. :-)

Pedal control of rotary speed is possible: DGX-670 Reference Manual, Chapter 9, page 75. The Parameter Chart in the DGX-670 Data List PDF shows if and where internal parameters are stored in a Registration. Pedal parameter info is on page 53 of the Data List. Looks like the pedal assignments are saved. If you're new to this product line, it's good to learn about Registrations as they take the place of presets in synth-like instruments.

Now the tricky part. Yamaha use a few different different methods for programming organ voices. The DGX-670 has "regular" organ voices and "Super Articulation" voices. The note on page 77 of the Reference Manual suggests that rotary is sampled into the Super Articulation voices while the regular organ voices use a DSP effect (algorithm). The SA voices probably switch between a fast multi-sample and a slow multi-sample. They probably don't ramp up and down. DSP effect rotary should ramp up and down as the algorithm is lifted from Yamaha synths and arrangers. Unfortunately, the 670 does not have a unified rotary speed control setting -- it depends on the type of voice. That will make configuring speed control a little more difficult.

As to actually changing the rotary ramp up or down speeds, the DGX-670 does have a way to do this. Check out pages 69 and 70 in the DGX-670 Reference Manual.

The rotary speaker algorithms are the same as the Yamaha arrangers and synths. The rotary effect parameters are shown on page 40 of the DGX-670 Data List PDF.

The DGX-670 (and arrangers) store customized DSP effect parameters in so-called "User Effect" memory locations. On Genos, I store my favorite rotary setting in a User Effect. The bad news: Only a few memory locations are provided for each major effect type (reverb, chorus, or variation/insertion). If you don't like the speed and ramp times, edit the DSP parameters and store the changes as a User Effect.

Hope this helps -- pj

Music technology blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

The following users thanked this post: syoulden