Author Topic: T4 Sustain Pedal  (Read 2977 times)

JollyJim

T4 Sustain Pedal
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »
Hi All,

Just a quick problem that is so annoying -

I have recently moved house and in my previous setup, I had a MFC10 attached to the T4, with the pedal sustain pedal plugged into the back of the MFC10. All worked with no problem at all. Now I'm in the new house, and I have'nt got the space or time to set up the MFC10, so I just want to plug the sustain pedal into the back of the T4. I've tried just putting into position 1 (which is the default), where I cannot make it work at all. I've played with every combination of position 1,2,3 and every available setting  in the function area, but for the life of me, I can't get it right. The only position it works is with the pedal in position 3 and the function set to sustain, but even that loses it, if I off and on the T4. Any other combination, it just seems to do whatever it likes and I just can't see the answer.

Any help please would be gratefully accepted , thanks - Jim

Offline Arnak

Re: T4 Sustain Pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
Hi,

have you tried changing the polarity of the pedal?

You can do that in the functions panel, the I button is used to select the polarity.

Martin

JollyJim

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply and, yes, I have changed the polarity back and forth.

I can't think of any variations that I have'nt tried to be honest. I've even gone into the MFC10 setting in the midi section and turned it off even though it's not connected, but no luck. I'm wondering if, having been connected to the MFC10 previously,  (it's got five, (I think) jacks on the unit to connect to any other pedal/switch/whatever) it's 'thrown' the standard settings in the Funcion/Foot Pedal somehow.

But thanks again, it's appreciated, best wishes - Jim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
Hi All,

Just a quick problem that is so annoying -

I have recently moved house and in my previous setup, I had a MFC10 attached to the T4, with the pedal sustain pedal plugged into the back of the MFC10. All worked with no problem at all. Now I'm in the new house, and I have'nt got the space or time to set up the MFC10, so I just want to plug the sustain pedal into the back of the T4. I've tried just putting into position 1 (which is the default), where I cannot make it work at all. I've played with every combination of position 1,2,3 and every available setting  in the function area, but for the life of me, I can't get it right. The only position it works is with the pedal in position 3 and the function set to sustain, but even that loses it, if I off and on the T4. Any other combination, it just seems to do whatever it likes and I just can't see the answer.

Any help please would be gratefully accepted , thanks - Jim

The Tyros does not remember pedal settings. You need to create a setup registration which sets up the keyboard the way you want, and load it every time you lower on.

Also, do you have the registration sequencer enabled? That will override your pedal settings in the controller.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:58:28 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, RobertB

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
@JollyJim
Hi Jim,

In your case, as Fred already mentioned, the Registration Sequence function is probably switched on. By default, pedals #1 and #2 are then used to switch the registration sequence up and down, so that these pedals no longer have the preprogrammed standard functions when the keyboard is switched on, and the assignment of other pedal functions in the "Function > Controller > Foot Pedal" display has no effect.

If you don't need the Registration Sequence function, the easiest option would be to simply turn it off. Then after switching on the T4, the pedal socket #1 is automatically assigned the "Sustain" function.

If you need a different pedal assignment, you can either, as already mentioned, save it in one or more "Setup Registrations", which you load immediately after switching on or when required. In all other Registrations, the pedal assignment should then normally NOT be saved. Alternatively, you could of course also save the desired pedal assignment in EVERY Registration. However, it is relatively time-consuming if you want to change something about the pedal assignment globally later. (The easiest way then is to use the "Registration Manager" from Murray Best.)

By the way: If you are working with the Registration Sequence function, you could only activate ONE pedal there (to switch upwards) and set the second pedal to OFF. Then you can use the other two pedals normally. (If necessary, you could use the left TAB button to switch the Registration Sequence down.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:52:50 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: RobertB

JollyJim

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »
Hi...

Thanks Fred and Chris,

Yes, I hear what you say and it sounds as though that could very well be the problem.

Problem is.....I don't know how to switch the Registration Function off (..to be honest, I did'nt even know it existed, I'm not too smart when it comes to the 'deeper' parts of the T4.....).....so, can either help please.

Thanks again, your replies are very much appreciated

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 09:08:38 PM »
Hi...

Thanks Fred and Chris,

Yes, I hear what you say and it sounds as though that could very well be the problem.

Problem is.....I don't know how to switch the Registration Function off (..to be honest, I did'nt even know it existed, I'm not too smart when it comes to the 'deeper' parts of the T4.....).....so, can either help please.

Thanks again, your replies are very much appreciated

Hi Jim,

If not done so, please download all three Tyros4 manuals under the following link (Owner's Manual, Reference Manual and Data List):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=tyros4

Since for many features information in both manuals can be found, it is best if you open the Owner's Manual and Reference Manual at the same time on the computer. Via the Search function of your PDF Reader you can quickly find all relevant text passages for a specific search term.

If you e.g. search in the Owner's Manual for the term "registration sequence", you will find the following information on page 74 (at the end of the chapter "6 Registration Memory"):

Advanced features
Refer to The Reference Manual ..., Chapter 6:

Calling Up Registration Memory Numbers in Order (Registration Sequence):

[FUNCTION] > [E] REGIST SEQUENCE/FREEZE/VOICE SET > TAB [<] [>] REGISTRATION SEQUENCE

In the Reference Manual, the Registration Sequence feature is exactly described on pages 85/86: "Calling Up Registration Memory Numbers in Order (Registration Sequence)"

By the way, except via "Function" (as mentioned above) you can quickly access the Registration Sequence display via [Direct Access] > [Memory] button.

Note: The Registration Sequence feature can only be activated or deactivated globally, so NOT separately for each Registration Bank. To turn off the feature, you set the "Registration Sequence Enable" parameter to OFF (see also the attached picture). Then close that display via [Exit] button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:32:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

JollyJim

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 12:45:16 PM »
Hi Fred and Chris...

Yep, spot-on !!!! I followed the route through, turned Registration Sequence to off, powered the T4 off and on, and it came back correctly.

I am so grateful because it really was driving me nuts. How you have such 'in depth' knowledge, is beyond me. I salute you both !!!!

It has however led to another head-scratcher.....I want the pedal sustain to work - L off, R1 on, R2 off, R3 off. So, before I power off, I set them to that setting but when I power on, it returns..... L off, R1 on, R2 on, R3 on, and I can't find a way of keeping my setting, except to make a registration containing them (with the pedal set to 'frozen') which I will have to select every time I power on. Is that the way to do it, do you think, or is there a simpler way ?

Chris, thanks for the details on the manuals. I had, actually, downloaded them many moons ago, but had forgotten about them so, thanks for reminding me. Loading them to PDF to make use of the search facility is a good tip - thanks. (...although, you have to know what it is you're looking for and I would never have thought of Reg Seq !!!).

Thanks again - you two are the 'tops'

Best wishes - Jim

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »
Thanks for your detailed feedback, Jim!

Please read again what I said in my first post (Reply #4) about saving individual Pedal settings to Registrations.

So make your preferred Pedal settings and memorize them to a Registration (e.g. on Reg button one). If this Registration should only change the Pedal settings, remove all ticks except "Pedal" in the Memory window. To remove all unneeded Registrations (e.g. from the Reg buttons #2 - #8) go to the Registration Edit display (press [Direct Access] and then one of the [Regist Bank +/-] buttons.

Then press both [Regist Bank +/-] buttons at the same time to call up the Regist Bank Selection display and save the current Registration Bank. It is best to use a special character (e.g. an underline) at the beginning of the file name, so that this reg file is sorted alphabetically before all other files in order to be able to call it up easily.

By the Way: It is a good idea to use such a Setup Registration to setup ALL settings that can be saved in (changed by) Registrations. In this case you have to tick all relevant checkboxes in the Memory window of course. See the Data List (chapter "Parameter Chart").

Regarding "Freeze" function: Press [Direct Access] and then [Freeze] and make sure only "Pedal" is ticked. Press Exit to save these setting.

In the future you can switch on the Freeze function (after you have made the desired Pedal settings, e.g. using a Setup Registration) to be sure that no other Registrations change the Pedal settings. (If you are sure that in none of your "normal" Registrations Pedal settings are saved, of course activating Freeze is not needed.)

Note: The Freeze state (on or off) is NOT saved to Registrations (!).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:00:18 PM by overover »

JollyJim

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your latest reply.

Together with Fred's responses and yours, I think I've got it !!!! I have to say, that it seems quite a complicated way of doing things, but I guess,Yamaha could'nt have allowed so many 'choices' within the setting if they had been too strict.

Also, I found Fred's tutorial youtube jobbies on the subject which I found really clear - very helpful....

Thanks again to you both, Chris and Fred , you have been so helpful and saved my poor small brain hahaha !!!

Best wishes - Jim

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 02:50:00 PM »
"The Tyros does not remember pedal settings. You need to create a setup registration which sets up the keyboard the way you want, and load it every time you lower on.

Also, do you have the registration sequencer enabled? That will override your pedal settings in the controller." Fred

Neither manual responds to my search for "registration sequencer". Corrected to "registration sequence".
Can you help me locate where the registration sequencer is? And maybe how it works with the t4?
Thank you

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:17:35 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 03:19:19 PM »
Neither manual responds to me search for "registration sequencer".
Can you help me locate where the registration sequencer is? And maybe how it works with the t4?

Hi sugarplumsss,

the correct term is "Registration Sequence" or "Regist Sequence" (not "Sequencer"). This function is described in the T4 Reference Manual, pages 85/86.

Please Note: When the "Registration Sequence" function is turned ON, the pedals assigned in the "Registration Sequence" display can no longer be used for other functions. Many users therefore only use ONE pedal for "Regist +" and set the "Regist -" pedal to OFF. Note: If necessary, the Registration Sequence can also be switched forwards or backwards using the TAB buttons.

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
Sugarplumss - when you use the quote function please put your comments outside the quote marks, so it shows separately from the quote. Otherwise it is confusing. ….look at the difference between your post and Chris’ post to see what I mean.
You can also delete parts of the quote to use only the relevant part.
And can also the ‘preview’ button to see how your post looks before you post.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:50:22 PM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 04:19:18 AM »
I will be more mindful of this..
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.