Author Topic: Did my Genos die? Urgent help please  (Read 2905 times)

MyGenos

Did my Genos die? Urgent help please
« on: August 26, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »
my dear friends in this forum.  First of all, thank you all for sharing your precious experiments. my problem is:  You will see it in the attached pictures.  I cannot install any pack on Genos.  Voice wave size shows 4 billion odds.  this happened suddenly.  All factory  datas  styles sounds are ok and working  but expansion memory is disabled.  Nothing there and not possible to load. I uninstalled the YEM app and restored it also and got the Genos n27 info again but in vain.  Finally, I noticed that it gave the error you see in the pictures in the test menu, it did not pass the test.  What should I do now?  Is there a way to hard reset?  or nand format?  Or is the ram on the mainboard dead?  Is it repairable or does the motherboard need to be replaced?  please show me the way.
Thanks for all reply.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ugawoga

Re: Did my Genos die? Urgent help please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Hi
If you are in the uk as the time zone suggests I would give Yamaha a ring at Milton Keynes.
They are very helpful.
I should think that you may have to do a soft reset or full factory reset.
Your samples are off the scale!!. May need a quantum gigabyte reduction booster pack!! ;D

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:20:10 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

MyGenos

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »
Hi
If you are in the uk as the time zone suggests I would give Yamaha a ring at Milton Keynes.
….
John

Thank you my dear friend. Unfortunately i am not near to UK. From Turkey. in next days i will call service of Yamaha. I'm here in the hope that maybe there is a way without having to.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »
Hi MyGenos,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Regarding your Genos problem:
The error message you posted means that at least one of the mentioned ICs doesn't work correctly.

The ICs 601, 603, 605 and 606 are the four NAND Flash ICs of the second Tone Generator IC (Slave) and are located directly on the DM circuit board (= main board).

I fear that there is a hardware defect here. Then probably only a Yamaha service technician can help.

The NAND Flash ICs are available individually as spare parts. But the exchange should not be easy because the ICs are soldered directly to the circuit board. I hope that the entire DM board does not have to be replaced, because this costs around 560 euros here in Germany ...

The only thing you could do yourself would be to do a full Factory Reset (that resets all internal memory areas and deletes also all files in the User drive). This is done either with a special key combination or from the internal Test program.

I'm afraid this reset won't solve the problem. But if you still want to try, you are welcome to contact me via PM (Private Message) here in the forum to get the necessary information. (Yamaha does not want this to be posted publicly on the internet.)

P.S.
The incorrect indication of the maximum possible Voice Wave memory in the YEM is probably due to the fact that you have re-exported the instrument info file (.n27) from the Genos and re-imported it into the YEM. When exporting the .n27, the installed Voice Wave memory is queried and this could probably not be determined properly because of the defective IC(s).

If you still have an earlier Genos .n27 file, you could test-import this into the YEM again (delete the Install Target beforehand). The available Voice Wave size will then probably be displayed normally again (3072 MB). I don't think the YEM is the real problem.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:22:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

MyGenos

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi MyGenos,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Regarding your Genos problem:
The error message you posted means that at least one of the mentioned ICs doesn't work correctly.

The ICs 601, 603, 605 and 606 are the four NAND Flash ICs of the second Tone Generator IC (Slave) and are located directly on the DM circuit board (= main board).

I fear that there is a hardware defect here. Then probably only a Yamaha service technician can help.

The NAND Flash ICs are available individually as spare parts. But the exchange should not be easy because the ICs are soldered directly to the circuit board. I hope that the entire DM board does not have to be replaced, because this costs around 560 euros here in Germany ...

The only thing you could do yourself would be to do a full Factory Reset (that resets all internal memory areas and deletes also all files in the User drive). This is done either with a special key combination or from the internal Test program.

I'm afraid this reset won't solve the problem. But if you still want to try, you are welcome to contact me via PM (Private Message) here in the forum to get the necessary information. (Yamaha does not want this to be posted publicly on the internet.)

P.S.
The incorrect indication of the maximum possible Voice Wave memory in the YEM is probably due to the fact that you have re-exported the instrument info file (.n27) from the Genos and re-imported it into the YEM. When exporting the .n27, the installed Voice Wave memory is queried and this could probably not be determined properly because of the defective IC(s).

If you still have an earlier Genos .n27 file, you could test-import this into the YEM again (delete the Install Target beforehand). The available Voice Wave size will then probably be displayed normally again (3072 MB). I don't think the YEM is the real problem.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris. Rellay thank you for this detailed technical informations. As you mentioned imported earlier genos n27 and it was normal. I prepared pack and tried to load it but i met same error (to large wave account) according to my searches 560 euro in Germany is really normal price because here in Turkey its 560 multiples. And i am very sorry. Today 3rd day i missed my Genos. Now i will pm you, i want to try full reset. If I don’t get results, i will call service  :-[

Offline Stijn

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
Hello,

I remember a similar problem my friend once had. It was one of the YEM packs that was faulty or not compatible at the time. We found out by selecting pack by pack and checked out the Voice Wave Size until we got that strange Voice wave size.

What YEM version do you use? Version 2.7 is the most reliable for now, version 2.8 is very slow.
Which version is your Genos?

Stijn

I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

MyGenos

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
Hello,

I remember a similar problem my friend once had. It was one of the YEM packs that was faulty or not compatible at the time. We found out by selecting pack by pack and checked out the Voice Wave Size until we got that strange Voice wave size.

What YEM version do you use? Version 2.7 is the most reliable for now, version 2.8 is very slow.
Which version is your Genos?

Stijn

Hello Stijn. Thanks for info. I use YEM 2.8 but i tried it on Yem 2.7 too. There was the same error. My genos v2.2. Unfortunately it couldn’t not pass the memory test in test menu. I hope please it is about to programming, if my mainbord was dead i am in trouble :(

Offline Stijn

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 06:19:50 PM »
How was the problem solved?

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos