Author Topic: Loading Midi files to change.  (Read 3509 times)

Offline shezza

Loading Midi files to change.
« on: August 25, 2021, 05:42:36 PM »
Hi all I have just purchased an SX600 and am really happy with it, not sure I would be after having a SX900 with its big screen but I find it ok. Anyway what I would like to do is Load a Midi file tweak it and then save either to Midi file or MP3 is it possible.

Offline hans1966

Re: Loading Midi files to change.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »
Hi Shezza, that depends on some factors for example: if the MIDI file has been created with specific voices from the SX900 that are NOT in the SX600, then you would have to look for some voices that are more or less similar to the original ones, or otherwise replace them with others.
once you are satisfied with the respective changes and settings you can save your MIDI file.

Note: the SX600 only records and plays Audio in WAV format.

I hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline shezza

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 08:11:05 AM »
Hi Shezza, that depends on some factors for example: if the MIDI file has been created with specific voices from the SX900 that are NOT in the SX600, then you would have to look for some voices that are more or less similar to the original ones, or otherwise replace them with others.
once you are satisfied with the respective changes and settings you can save your MIDI file.

Note: the SX600 only records and plays Audio in WAV format.

I hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Hans
   I should have said I know how to make the changes to the Midi File when in the 600 but cant seem to save the
               changes, even when I press save with a different name as soon as i go to another song then back to the one
                that I have changed the changes are lost.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 11:39:39 AM »
Hi shezza,

to save the changes made in the Mixer to a MIDI file, you have to use the Song Creator.

Please refer to pages 60/61 of the SX600 Reference Manual: "Selecting the Setup Data to be Recorded to the Top Position of the Song (Setup page)"

How it works:

- Make the desired changes to a MIDI file (e.g. Volumes/Voices/Effects) in the Mixer.

- Call up the Song Creator (Setup tab): [MENU] > TAB > Menu2 > Cursor buttons > Song Creator > [ENTER] > TAB > Setup

- Press the SONG CONTROL [STOP] button to move the Song position to the top of the Song. (!)

- Make sure that the first 7 checkboxes are TICKED (Voice, Volume, Pan, EQ, Filter, Effect, Tempo).

- The other 5 checkboxes normally should NOT be ticked (Keyboard Voice, Lyrics Setting, Score Setting, Guide Setting, Mic Setting).
Note: If "Keyboard Voice" is ticked here, the Voice settings of the Keyboard Parts will be written into the MIDI file (and automatically selected when the MIDI file starts). This leads to conflicts when using Registrations or trying to manually select the Keyboard Voices. (See also the attached picture!)

- Press "Apply" (one of the [6] or [7] buttons). (!)

- Press "Save" (one of the [8] buttons) to carry out the Save operation. (To keep the original file, enter a new or changed file name.)

- Finished! :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:42:35 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: shezza

Offline shezza

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »
Cracked it ................Thanks very much for info.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
You're welcome, shezza! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 02:30:56 AM »
Hi Chris

I have been using PSRUTI to edit midi files ..in your option is using the Song Creator a better option .. I was mainly using it to insert chords into the midi so I could use Vocal Harmony on the 900  and to edit volumes??

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 08:45:41 AM »
Hi Chris

I have been using PSRUTI to edit midi files ..in your option is using the Song Creator a better option .. I was mainly using it to insert chords into the midi so I could use Vocal Harmony on the 900  and to edit volumes??

Hi ChrisH,

PSRUTI is a great program for editing MIDI files. It offers many functions that are not available directly on the keyboard (e.g. Optimize XG or subsequent insertion of XG chords),  or are relatively difficult to execute directly on the keyboard (e.g. "Delete Keyboard Events"). However, the keyboard has to be connected to the computer via MIDI in order to be able to control the results, and even then this does not work in real time directly during editing, but you have to use the player function of PSRUTI.

I mainly use the (paid) program "Midifile Optimizer XI" (by the German company Midiland) to edit MIDI files. It offers a very clear, easy-to-use interface (based on a mixer), and you can also edit all System and Insertion Effects (DSPs) via a graphical interface. All important Yamaha arranger models are directly supported (e.g. Tyros 1 - 5, Genos, SX900, S9xx). Smaller models like SX700/600 or S7xx/6xx are unfortunately not directly supported. Here you either have to work with the soundset of the "bigger brother" or use the Yamaha XG soundset. Of course, a (USB-)MIDI connection to the keyboard is also required here in order to be able to control the sound.

But in many cases it is still easiest to make changes to MIDI files directly on the keyboard (and then save them via "Song Creator > Setup" or "MIDI Multi Recording > Setup" (depending on the keyboard model).

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: ChrisH

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 02:07:39 PM »
Thanks Chris
You are a fountain of knowledge !!  The keyboard might be a useful option to do simple changes like volume ..nice to know you can actually save them too.

Many Thanks again

Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:45:21 PM »
Thanks Chris
You are a fountain of knowledge !!  The keyboard might be a useful option to do simple changes like volume ..nice to know you can actually save them too.

Many Thanks again

Chris

You're welcome, Chris!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline shezza

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »
You're welcome, shezza! :)

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Chris sorry it's me again firstly thanks for you info,  I have managed to do what I have wanted to do apart from one thing, I have got all the tracks altered and changed as I want them and saved in user on the keyboard but I cant seem to save them to a USB stick for safe keeping, when I highlight all the tracks nothing shows up as to where I can save or download them to..........Hoping you can help.......Pete. 

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 12:32:43 AM »
Hi Chris sorry it's me again firstly thanks for you info,  I have managed to do what I have wanted to do apart from one thing, I have got all the tracks altered and changed as I want them and saved in user on the keyboard but I cant seem to save them to a USB stick for safe keeping, when I highlight all the tracks nothing shows up as to where I can save or download them to..........Hoping you can help.......Pete.

Hi Pete,

Saving a (modified) MIDI file in the Song Creator, as described, has nothing to do with the individual "tracks" (channels) of the MIDI File. You always save the complete MIDI file, either in the internal User drive or on the connected USB stick. You could also save the file twice in a row, e.g. first in the User Drive and then on the USB stick.

Normally, however, one will simply COPY or MOVE a file that is to be transferred to another storage medium unchanged.

This can easily be done in the relevant File Selection Display. After you have saved a modified MIDI file from the Song Creator in the User Drive on the SX600, close the Song Creator with Exit.

Then you open the SONG File Selection Display (as if you want to select a MIDI file for playback).

For copying or moving a file (or multiple), you now do as described in the SX600 Owner's Manual on page 29 (chapter "File Management" > "Copying/Moving Files").

It is important here, especially point 6 on the mentioned side, i.e. selecting the destination tab (e.g. USB).

With "Paste" you insert the files previously selected for copying or moving files on the destination drive.

Complete!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline shezza

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »
Just when I think I have sorted everything I come across another problem. I can save all the setting that I have altered apart from the overall volume of individual songs, when I change the volume for a particular song all the files change to that volume. Does this mean I have to take down all the individual voices of all the songs?

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »
Just when I think I have sorted everything I come across another problem. I can save all the setting that I have altered apart from the overall volume of individual songs, when I change the volume for a particular song all the files change to that volume. Does this mean I have to take down all the individual voices of all the songs?

Hi Pete,

the overall SONG VOLUME (called "Volume (MIDI Song) Offset" in the Parameter Chart of the keyboard's Data List) cannot be saved in the MIDI file. You have the following options:

(1) Leave the SONG VOLUME always on the same value (I use a value of 70 here which you set directly after powering on the keyboard). Use the channel volumes of each MIDI file to mix it up as desired. You can use a reference file (which can also be an Audio file) to be sure that all edited MIDI files have roughly the same overall volume. I mostly use the "Midifile Optimizer XI" program (I already mentioned). This program has, additionally to the 16 channel volume faders, a "Master Volume" fader with which you can raise or lower all channel volumes at the same time in the same ratio.

or

(2) Use Registrations to call up your MIDI files (one Registration Bank per Song, Bank name = song title). This way you can adjust the SONG VOLUME as desired because it is automatically saved to the Registration.

or

(3) Use the "PSRUTI" program to write a Master Volume SysEx event into the MIDI files that are "too loud" to reduce the overall volume as desired.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:17:29 PM by overover »

Offline shezza

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 07:24:14 PM »
Hi Pete,

the overall SONG VOLUME (called "Volume (MIDI Song) Offset" in the Parameter Chart of the keyboard's Data List) cannot be saved in the MIDI file. You have the following options:

(1) Leave the SONG VOLUME always on the same value (I use a value of 70 here which you set directly after powering on the keyboard). Use the channel volumes of each MIDI file to mix it up as desired. You can use a reference file (which can also be an Audio file) to be sure that all edited MIDI files have roughly the same overall volume. I mostly use the "Midifile Optimizer XI" program (I already mentioned). This program has, additionally to the 16 channel volume faders, a "Master Volume" fader with which you can raise or lower all channel volumes at the same time in the same ratio.

or

(2) Use Registrations to call up your MIDI files (one Registration Bank per Song, Bank name = song title). This way you can adjust the SONG VOLUME as desired because it is automatically saved to the Registration.

or

(3) Use the "PSRUTI" program to write a Master Volume SysEx event into the MIDI files that are "too loud" to reduce the overall volume as desired.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Once again thanks very much Chris, I will probably save to a registration.

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 07:49:15 PM »
Once again thanks very much Chris, I will probably save to a registration.

When memorizing such Registrations, I recommend to tick (at least) the checkboxes (MIDI)Song, Tempo, Voice and Harmony/Arpeggio (!). The latter is important even if the Harmony/Arpeggio feature is NOT used (to ensure that this is deactivated by the Registration if it had been active before). If you additionally want to memorize the Left voice (and the Left Split Point), you also have to tick the Style checkbox.

Note that the Mixer settings of a MIDI file (e.g. channel volumes, voices, effects) can NOT be memorized to Registrations, but have to be saved directly to the MIDI file (as described before).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:56:20 PM by overover »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
If I have a midi file where I want to alter a couple of tracks volumes I do this in the song creator by going to the tracks event list and changing the volume there Then resave the song.