Author Topic: USB Sticks for SX600  (Read 3252 times)

Offline shezza

USB Sticks for SX600
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:07:02 AM »
Hi all I have a few 16GB USB 3.0 that does not work with my SX600, Do you think it is the size or because it is USB 3.0

Offline ChrisH

Re: USB Sticks for SX600
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
Hi Shezza

USB3.0 devices are backwards compatible which means they can work on USB2 and even USB1 ports. However, if you plugged the drive into a USB3 port and wrote data to it you might have an issue ...never tried on my SX-900 as I always use USB2.0 drives and also when copying stuff onto it I will make sure I use a USB2 port (usually black on the computer whilst USB3.0 ports are usually blue or marked as "SS"

Offline shezza

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 10:40:10 AM »
My USB 3.0 works no bother at all on my SX900, but not on my SX600.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »
The sx600 has different USB hardware. It is therefore best to use USB 2.0 sticks on it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 06:56:16 PM »
Hi all I have a few 16GB USB 3.0 that does not work with my SX600, Do you think it is the size or because it is USB 3.0

Hi shezza,

Yes, Yamaha obviously installed different USB hardware at the SX600 as e.g. at SX700/900, PSR-S, Tyros models and Genos. Unfortunately, the SX600 supports significantly less different USB flash drive models as the other yamaha keyboard models mentioned.

Basically, it is less on the memory size of the USB sticks or whether it supports USB3 or exclusively USB2, but above all on the chipset used. And unfortunately, the SX600 obviously does not support many chipsets currently used in USB sticks.

A clue are the two "Compatible USB Device" lists currently available from Yamaha. The USB sticks mentioned therein should work on the SX600:
>>> (Links removed)

Otherwise you can only try if certain sticks work on the SX600. In any case, make sure that the stick to be used is FAT32 formatted, or just format it directly at the SX600. (Note that when formatting all data is deleted from the stick!)

By the way: I have never heard that data that was written using a USB3 port on the computer to a USB3 stick could not be read later on a USB2 port (e.g. on the keyboard) as mentioned by ChrisH . In my opinion, there is no problem here.

Edit 2023-08-10: New link for the SX600 Compatible USB Device List
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1366042/en-PSR-SX600.pdf

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 02:58:26 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
Interesting... that lends credence  to the possibility that it's the current draw that causes them not to work, not necessarily the size.

Which make and model is the usb stick?

also, remember, if you use a USB stick that's incompatible, it shuts down the USB port until you turn the unit back on and off... was this the 1st stick you tried on the sx600 after turning on, or did you insert another non-working one prior?

I have a Kingston 100 G3 32gb that I purchased specifically to use on our DGX670 and PSRsx600, as my 128GB main USB stick is *not* compatible.

Mark

janamdo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
I recently bought a 32 GB stick for my SX600 and writing speed 18Mb/s and reading speed 60 Mb/s
This is a brand/nameless stick (from Kruidvat store)  bought at store for personal care  ( toothpaste, and much more)
Cheap usb stick and works without a problem.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:02:37 PM by janamdo »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 09:33:54 AM »
Hi :

Will Yamaha's SX600 and DGX-670 USB input accept a hub to connect 2 pcs USB sticks ? 
If so ... are these 2 sticks usable separately ?
Cross my fingers ...  ;)

Plse advise. Many thanks, JH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:22:23 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 02:07:03 PM »
Hi :

Will Yamaha's SX600 and DGX-670 USB input accept a hub to connect 2 pcs USB sticks ? 
If so ... are these 2 sticks usable separately ?
Cross my fingers ...  ;)

Plse advise. Many thanks, JH

Hi Jeff,

According to the notes in the SX600 Owner's Manual page 95 and in the DGX-670 Owner's Manual page 90, no USB hub can be used on these models:

Compatible USB devices

• USB flash drives
    • USB wireless LAN adapter (UD-WL01; sold separately)
    Other USB devices such as a USB hub, computer keyboard or mouse cannot be used.

However, certain USB hubs may work. You can just try it.

I generally recommend working with only ONE connected USB stick at a time, also for all other models. This applies above all when using Registrations and Playlists, because if several sticks are connected at the same time, they are assigned the internal drive letters in the order in which they were connected (USB1 = I:, USB2 = J:, USB3 = K:).

If a USB hub with multiple sticks is already connected when the keyboard starts, the sticks will get random drive letters. If the sticks later have different drive letters or, for example, if only one stick is connected, certain Registrations and/or Playlists may suddenly no longer work.

My recommendation: You can use a (relatively short) USB extension cable on the USB-to-Device port of the DGX-670 or SX600. This protects the USB socket. But use only ONE stick at a time.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 02:08:54 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »
I concur entirely with this.
The single USB socket for the SX-600 and SX-700 is located in a quite awkward place at the rear of the keyboard.
Many of us simply use an 8" usb m/f extension which we leave in the socket permanently. This eliminates excess wear/failure of the socket.
Led round to the top left of the keyboard (mine is cable tied to my music rest) then it is then really easy to swap USB sticks.
Powered hubs..... Not a chance. Too easy to blow the USB socket on the instrument, and that will not only invalidate your warranty, but also be a pretty expensive repair.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 03:25:41 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner