Author Topic: SX900 Subwoofer  (Read 2467 times)

Offline MCammuso

SX900 Subwoofer
« on: July 23, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »
Can a different subwoofer be used with the SX900 other than the KS-SW100 listed by Yamaha? Are there any advantages to using the Yamaha subwoofer?

Offline Graham UK

Re: SX900 Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 05:01:23 PM »
There are many Sub-Bass units available, unfortunately some are unwanted boom boxes so giving too much upper bass, care is required when buying.
A good one will have a switch to select different low frequency bands to be able to adjust for a particular room setting.
You should be listening for some clean tight sub-bass so place Sub-Bass Units away from corners and a little space away from a wall...Trial & Error.
DGX670

Offline ayeff

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 10:18:35 AM »
I have the KS-SW100 with my SX900 and I do find it a well worth while addition.  I cannot give any opinion of alternatives as I have not tried any other units with the SX.  I have however had 2 Tyros models in the past and when I changed to the SX I missed the superb Bass that I got from the Tyros sub bass units which is why I very quickly purchased the KS-SW100 unit and it has made such a difference!

One issue that I have noticed though is that if you are in the midst of a session and she who must be obeyed wants to watch her favourite soap on the telly, when plugging in the headphones - unlike the Tyros - the bass unit does not mute!

Offline MCammuso

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:18:51 PM »
Thank you for your opinions. I'll keep them under consideration.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:00:41 PM »
I have a Bose Sub1 which I use in conjunction with my Stagepas PA system and it's great (it should be for the price) but it does NOT work well plugged into the SX900 alone--much too overpowering.  Just so's you know.

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Totomo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 05:41:09 AM »
I use Yamaha SW100 sub which has 10' woofer inside. 
 KW100 are rename SW50 actually, both has same freq range and 8' woofer..

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline jcook980

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 04:19:09 PM »
I had purchased a Sony 5.1 home theater system at least fifteen years ago. I used it for several years but for the past eight years or so the speakers have been boxed in my garage after the receiver/amp failed. I accidently opened the box this weekend looking for something else when my eyes landed on the Sony SA-W305G active subwoofer carefully packed inside. This subwoofer has a smallish 6 1/2" speaker and a 60W amp with line in and front mounted power switch, volume and cut-off freq pots and a phase reversal switch. Eureka! A great sub for my SX900 home studio! While I had been disappointed in the acoustic piano sound from the internal speakers, adding this sub with the right gain and EQ settings has made a tremendous difference in the sound.
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 08:04:50 PM »
I had purchased a Sony 5.1 home theater system at least fifteen years ago. I used it for several years but for the past eight years or so the speakers have been boxed in my garage after the receiver/amp failed. I accidently opened the box this weekend looking for something else when my eyes landed on the Sony SA-W305G active subwoofer carefully packed inside. This subwoofer has a smallish 6 1/2" speaker and a 60W amp with line in and front mounted power switch, volume and cut-off freq pots and a phase reversal switch. Eureka! A great sub for my SX900 home studio! While I had been disappointed in the acoustic piano sound from the internal speakers, adding this sub with the right gain and EQ settings has made a tremendous difference in the sound.

Thanks for your report, Jim!

I hope you continue to enjoy your SX900, which has now been enhanced with the Sony subwoofer. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcook980

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 12:10:34 AM »
If you're on a budget, don't need venue filling sound and know what you're looking for, used home theater subwoofers like these often turn up on eBay or garage sales for very reasonable prices and can really reinforce the sound of the internal speakers.  ;)

I'm building a keyboard amp for the 900 with the amps, speaker and rotary speaker from an old Yamaha DK-40 Electone I parted out about ten years ago.  8)
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 04:40:13 PM »
I had doubts about adding a sub with the SX 900, never having used one before.  Recently, added the PreSonus Eris 8 sub.  Makes a major difference, especially for live play. 

Offline Dupe

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 07:08:42 PM »
I have the SX700, anybody using a sub on this model?

Offline Pityus

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 07:58:13 PM »
How to connect a Denon DSW 80 Activ Subwoofer to the SX900 instrument?
I have already connected 2 Mackie MR5-MK3 active speakers.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 08:15:24 PM by Pityus »