Author Topic: Lan adapter UD-WL01 compatible with CVP-609?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline NAMA

Lan adapter UD-WL01 compatible with CVP-609?
« on: August 19, 2021, 10:39:51 AM »
I want to connect my CVP-609 to my I-pad to make use of the yamaha smart pianist app. Can I use the lan adapter UD-WL01 for this?
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline Kenneve

Re: Lan adapter UD-WL01 compatible with CVP-609?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »
On my CVP805, I use a Type B to Type A USB lead, plugged into the USB to HOST socket, plus a USB to Lightning adaptor.
If I recall correctly, my 605 was the same.
You do need a fairly modern Ipad for Smartpianist to work.
I had to buy new one, 7th Gen, as my previous one was so old!

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »
Hi Bert,

You can use the Yamaha UD-BT01 to establish a wireless MIDI connection (via Bluetooth LE) between the CVP-609 and the iPad.

Please note that the UD-BT01 (which is connected via a USB type AB cable to the USB-to-Host terminal of the CVP) requires an additional, external power supply.

I recommend using a Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter instead, which is connected to the DIN MIDI IN/OUT sockets. Such adapters do not require an additional power supply, as they are supplied directly via the DIN MIDI Out jack. Such adapters are e.g. The MD-WL01 (Yamaha), WIDI Master (CME) or mi.1 II (Quicco).

>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_md_bt01_wireless_midi_adapter.htm
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/cme_widi_master.htm
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/quicco_sound_mi.1_ii_wireless_midi_adapter.htm

The simplest (and the most stable) possibility to establish a MIDI connection to the iPad, however, is, as already mentioned, simply connect the USB-to-Host terminal of the CVP via cable directly to the iPad. Depending on which iPad you use, you only need a suitable USB "Camera Adapter" (and of course a USB type AB cable). For iPads with Lightning connection, I recommend the "Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter" of Apple. This allows the iPad to be powered at the same time.

>>> https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:21:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
Yes, the most stable, simplest, and probably the cheapest method, is to use the cables as I have described.
Why would you want to use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?

Offline NAMA

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:01:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I will buy the cables and try.
I still wonder if I can use the UD-WL01 because I can buy this part 2nd hand very cheap and thought I could simply connect this device to one of the USB to device connecors to make connection with my Ipad. Is this not possible for the CVP-609 like indicated in the attachment?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I will buy the cables and try.
I still wonder if I can use the UD-WL01 because I can buy this part 2nd hand very cheap and thought I could simply connect this device to one of the USB to device connecors to make connection with my Ipad. Is this not possible for the CVP-609 like indicated in the attachment?

Hi Bert,

I mistakenly assumed that your query relates to the Yamaha "UD-BT01" adapter. Therefore, in my first post, I described the various options with Bluetooth LE MIDI adapters.

Only now did I notice that you had asked about the "UD-WL01" (Wireless LAN MIDI) adapter.

Yes, according to the specifications, the "UD-WL01" adapter is compatible with the CVP-609. In some regions, this adapter is apparently even included with the CVP-609. For setting details please refer to page 98 of the CVP-609 Reference Manual ("Wireless LAN Settings").

From a technical point of view, however, a "MIDI-over-WiFi" connection is much less stable (and also has a much higher latency) than a "MIDI-over-Bluetooth LE" connection. That's why I recommend one of the Bluetooth LE MIDI adapters mentioned in my first post (or, even better, just a cable connection).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:02:38 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
Chris: bluetooth is much more convenient, yes. But the bandwidth and stability is actually significantly higher on wifi (typically 54-2000 mbs vs 3 mbs for bluetooth,  hence why there's no latency with streaming audio through wifi but there is with bluetooth).

But for me the biggest inconvenience of UDWL01 is if you're using internet direct connection, you can't use your home wifi at the same time* whereas bluetooth conveniently lets you use your existing wifi network on your smart device. Also, vs using a wifi direct connection, bluetooth won't disconnect from your smart device just because you've switched apps.

*Yes, it's supposed to work if you connect both the piano and the the ipad to the same network. In theory. I Haven't been able to get it to work (probably due to wifi exceeding 2.4 GHz)

However, if I recall, while the UDWL01 will work with the CVP609, I didn't think the smart pianist app did (they may have updated Smartpianist since then, though. We tried just as the 709 was being rolled out, and at the time, no). The CVP701 also didn't work that way.

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »
Hi Bert,

According to the document linked below, unfortunately only the CVP-809 and CVP-805 are compatible with the "SmartPianist" app. The connection to the iPad can be made using a WiFi stick (UD-WL01) or a USB cable. Bluetooth-MIDI adapters (e.g. UD-BT01, MD-BT01) are NOT supported here (in connection with the mentioned CVP models).

Older CVP models such as the CVP-609 are therefore NOT supported by the SmartPianist app.

>>> SmartPianist_Specification_for202101.pdf

All SmartPianist compatible instruments:

Clavinova CSP 
CSP-170
CSP-150

Clavinova CLP
CLP-695GP
CLP-685
CLP-675
CLP-665GP
CLP-645
CLP-635
CLP-795GP
CLP-785
CLP-775
CLP-765GP
CLP-745
CLP-735
CLP-725

Clavinova CVP
CVP-809GP 
CVP-809 
CVP-805

TransAcoustic / Silent Piano
TA2
SH2
SC2

AvantGrand
N3X
N1X
NU1X

SCLP
SCLP-6450
SCLP-6350
SCLP-7450
SCLP-7350

ARIUS
YDP-184
YDP-S54
YDP-S34
YDP-164
YDP-144

P
P-515
P-125
P-121
P-128

Best regards,
Chris

Offline NAMA

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
Thanks for all your replies but it is now a bit confusing for me. I now wonder what features it can bring me if I connect the UD-WL01 to my CVP-609 if the smartpianist app does not support my instrument. Are there other features? I want to make full use of my CVP.
Never too old to learn.

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
On my CVP805, I use a Type B to Type A USB lead, plugged into the USB to HOST socket, plus a USB to Lightning adaptor.
If I recall correctly, my 605 was the same.
You do need a fairly modern Ipad for Smartpianist to work.
I had to buy new one, 7th Gen, as my previous one was so old!
Hi Bert.
Looks like I made a mistake in quoting the 605 as compatible with Smartpianist.
I obviously acquired Smartpianist after getting the 805.
Sorry about that.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 10:50:29 AM »
Thanks for all your replies but it is now a bit confusing for me. I now wonder what features it can bring me if I connect the UD-WL01 to my CVP-609 if the smartpianist app does not support my instrument. Are there other features? I want to make full use of my CVP.
Any suggestion?
Never too old to learn.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »
There *used* to be a repertoire finder, that's now been discontinued. And also the backing tracks (with removable vocals, seperately recorded tracks... can't even remember what it's called now) has been discontinued.

Chord tracker would've been nice, but we tested it, and the earliest CVP's that worked with it are CVP705 and cvp709.

not having a cvp609 in store anymore, I can't test it. It is the same CPU as the T4.

But as pointed out, the CVP609 isn't even on the UDWL01 compatibility list...

*Earliest* compatible instruments:
• CLP-535/545/575/585/565GP (excluding CLP-525)
• CVP701/CVP705/CVP709/CVP709GP
• PSRS670/PSRS770/PSRS970

The 609 was released before all of these

Offline NAMA

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 10:06:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Based on this I decided not to buy.
Never too old to learn.