Author Topic: Second 61 Note Midi Keyboard  (Read 2493 times)

BOAC

Second 61 Note Midi Keyboard
« on: August 19, 2021, 02:32:35 AM »
Hi, as you can see from the title, I need a second Keyboard, it has to be 61 note because of space, and to match the 900.
Has to be Midi.
I would love to use it to add a third pedal (sustain) the other two on the 900 are volume and registration.
and , of course to feel and operate as similar to the 900 as possible.
Some have suggested an ebay NP11 or a new NP12 others a M-Audio Keystation 61 MKIII.
I have read the reviews !!
https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/midi-controllers/best-61-key-midi-keyboards/
which confused me even more !!!
Would love to go to a shop and try them for myself but that is not possible as it means going into London which I do not want to do.
Has anyone any suggestions please.
Nick

Offline RobertM

Re: Second 61 Note Midi Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 03:22:38 AM »
Hello Nick,
I've been using an M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk 3 with my keyboards for some time now. As with most things there are good and not so good points.
Connectivity is easy, just a midi cable and power (printer) cable. I use a mobile phone 5v charger for power as the board draws less than 50ma.
Key feel is semi-weighted, piano type and not that good, especially as the keys are wider than the SX900 and so do not line up over entire length.
One good point is the distance between the back of keys and rear face of case is only about 25mm, so the two fit reasonably well together.
The only controls I use are transpose and octave shift so cannot comment on the rest.
Be aware the board has to be set up to produce a midi out signal and there is, or was, an error in the manual procedure.
Would I buy again? Yes, probably, it does all I want for a simple setup for a hobby player.
Regards,
Robert.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 03:25:39 AM »
Nick,
PS. It does have a sustain pedal socket.
Robert.

BOAC

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 02:49:49 AM »
Thanks Robert, I've found one locally so going to give it a go.
Nick

Offline RobertM

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
Hi Nick,
If it is a Keystation you have now, here is the error in the manual....

Set midi OUT as explained on page 14 of the Keystation Mk3 manual.
After step 2 you must press the ENTER key.

There is a way to make the keys feel more like Yamaha keys by reducing their spring tension. Easy enough if you have diy skills. I did this mod to a Mk1 but have not found it necessary on the Mk3. The keys don't have to be removed, only the springs, and involves cutting the spring seats a little deeper.

Robert.

BOAC

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
Hi Roland, thanks for the advice. I now have, yesterday, a second keyboard. Keystation Mk111.
All connected.
Which handbook do I read re making the two work together !!!  :)
Or is there a video showing how to set them both up ?
Many thanks
Nick

BOAC

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
I have just had a horror moment - I dont need a PC do I ? I was hoping you just power up midi to midi and go !! :-\

Offline meyrick

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »
Hi BOAC
Who is Roland?
No you do not need a PC. If you follow the info RobertM gave, I am sure you will have the setup you require.
Personally I would favour the NP12 over the Keystation, but then its not my money you are spending.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 11:57:34 PM »
Hi meyrick,
Agree, the NP12's keys feel better and are spaced the same as the SX but in the end the Keystation was cheaper and I think deeper between back of keys and back of case (from memory).
Cheers,
Robert.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:00:58 AM »
Meyrick,
Correction, the Keystation was narrower, not deeper, than the NP12.
Robert.

BOAC

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 01:47:17 AM »
I meant RobertM, I do apologise, senior moment !!
I got the MkIII because I saw it working on youtube and people said to use the NP12 with the SX900 I would need a midi adapter
and Robert confirmed he did that way too
I would have been very happy to get Yamaha as I'm a no1 fan of the company.
Remember I only want this second keyboard so I dont have to split the SX900 it's so I can play LH and RH on No 1 & No2 keyboards.
Here it is being demonstrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOr35xVpJE
Any help you be very welcome
Nick

BOAC

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
Hi All, Just to let you know I have the SX900 working with the M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk 3.
All thanks to the help I got from Danial Watt at Yamaha.
It was a simple and quick process to create and save a MiDi file that enabled the MkIII  to act as the left hand.
The only thing to do on the MkIII was the Advanced/Midi out/enter.
On the 900 the split keyboard was moved to as low as possible and the result a few setup menues and the whole thing saved to a file.
I now have a full 61 keys for the right hand, 61 keys for the LH
Seperate Transpose for RH & LH
Seperate volumes for LH accompanyment / Style / RH and overall volume on pedal & Regigistration change on second pedal, I'm going to add Sustain third pedal later and a full pedal board next year
V-Control is the next move too.
Yes I would still like the same setup with a Genos, but I just dont have the room.
Nick

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 06:55:49 PM »
I tried 3 different additional ( to my SX900 ) keyboards at home before I decided.

Finally I bought the AKX10 ( Medeli ) arranger keyboard. My second keyboard.

In my eyes the very best choice.🕵️

Regards, JH
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:57:10 PM by Jeff Hollande »

BOAC

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »
Jeff. The AKX10 would have been an odd choice for me as I only wanted a MIDI keyboard so I could play the LH of the 900 on a full keyboard.
The AKX10 appears to be a complete instrument in its own right and in my case rather pointless, expensive too when you compare its price £650 to £120 that I paid for the M Station.
The solution I have is working fine and once I add the V-Console will be as near, and possibly better sounding, than the Stagea I originally wanted. Thank you for your observation but, once a Yamaha sound fan always a Yamaha sound fan.
Nick

Offline meyrick

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 04:16:53 PM »
Hi BOAC
I see you have the V-Console, why then would you need a Midi adapter? Also, with the V-Console you can set up more than one split point for the lower keyboard with any voices you want. For instance, on John Beeley's demo he has the Big Band on the top K/B, the lower split at F2 on the lower K/B with Piano in the middle and a Brass section at the top. Its a brilliant piece of equipment and I am slowly getting to grips with it. Unfortunately, I grew up with mechanical and electromechanical, so much of this arranger midi keyboard thing is above me. I'm a Wurlitzer man personally, but money and space were the problem as far as that was concerned.

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
I get why someone might choose the lower cost Medeli instead of a Yamaha. But since it is apparently trying to be a Yamaha clone, why would anyone select it to pair with the Yamaha you already have.  You can really only select one style or voice at a time. And since the  since the quality is probably lower than the Yamaha how often would you select Medeli styles / voices??
Mike