Author Topic: Understanding the Mixer  (Read 1275 times)

Understanding the Mixer
« on: August 18, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »
Hi all, In exploring the Genos to better understand the Midi Multi recording and there are a couple of things I cannot fathom out if anyone can help please?
The mixer has several tabs, the first tab is the Panel, and using this Tab I can call up a new Multipad into the mix and that works just fine
The next tab I look at is the Style tab, here I can change voices quite happily, one of them is named "Pad", when I press the Icon under this I can change the voice but this has no affect on the Multipad, so what is this "pad" voice for?
There is also another Tab called M.Pad. On this tab is 4 Mulipad icons but they are greyed out so cannot be selected so I cannot understand why the Icon is shown and greyed out? Note I understand that I can switch the Multipad parts onand off using the green icon

thanks all
Steve
Retired IT

Offline pjd

Re: Understanding the Mixer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
Hi Steve --

Panel tab: M.Pad slider sets the overall Multipad level.

M.Pad tab: The buttons enable/disable the individual Multipad sound. No other parameters are relevant so they are greyed out.

Style tab: Pad here is not Multipad. Pad is one of the parts in a style. Usually, this part plays a pad voice like strings or a synth pad.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: MrSteveVee

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:54:26 PM »
Thanks P], yes that helps a lot thank you, I was erroneously going down an avenue of thought that the controls might work differently depending on the composition of the multipart in use and was loading up different multiparts to see if the controls changed. Now I know the answer I shall abandon the efforts lol
Thank you, much appreciated
Steve 

Retired IT

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
Yamaha has assumed that all users know the difference between the terms Pad and Multipad. This is a common error that companies make during development. In essence, they are asking users to "fill in the blanks," which is a major error, even though Yamaha has been using these terms for probably two decades now. 

I am a technical writer and professor of technical writing at the college level. If I were employed by Yamaha, I would have suggested that they make a distinction in the two terms. They're too closely labeled.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: MrSteveVee

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Lee
Retired IT

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor