Author Topic: Genos freezes all buttons dead  (Read 2550 times)

fjuppe

Genos freezes all buttons dead
« on: August 16, 2021, 05:01:25 AM »
Hello group,

My Genos has been offline for some months. Now, yesterday when I powered it up,  it was normal power on sequence, started to play some chords and then audio stopped and all panel buttons freeze. Touch screen still operative. I could hear the small relay inside (which goes on very late in the power up sequence) going on/off appr. every 3 seconds. I had to recycle power but the same thing happens again after 5 seconds....

Anyone who recognizes this problem ?

I suspect the power supply has become faulty or there is a connector problem.

Anyone who has replaced the inside power adapter and knows the volts/Amps ??

Before you tell me to go to a Yam service shop, you have to understand that I am staying on a small island in Thailand, the keyboard is bought in and brought from Sweden.
I have to rely on my prevoius electronics exeperince....

Thanks for your advices!

Offline overover

Re: Genos freezes all buttons dead
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 07:19:34 AM »
Hi fjuppe,

Could it be that the voltage on the wall socket is significantly lower than the nominal voltage for some reason? As far as I know, the Genos is significantly more sensitive to mains voltage that is too low than, for example, Tyros models.

As a precaution, I would therefore first check the current mains voltage with a suitable measuring device.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

fjuppe

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your bright idea !

Normally I have an APC UPS to feed the Genos (the quality of power is not the best where I live). This seems to be working normally but I bypassed it for testing and the  problem remains.
My digital multimeter shows exactly 230 Volts at the UPS output as well as in the wall outlet.

Now I will start to take the Genos apart and do some faultfinding....

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:39 AM »
Oh my, good luck!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi fjuppe,

As the touch screen is still operative, you could use the internal Test Program. If you need detailed technical information about the Genos, you can contact me via PM (Personal Message).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:19:49 PM »
I could hear the small relay inside (which goes on very late in the power up sequence) going on/off appr. every 3 seconds. I had to recycle power but the same thing happens again after 5 seconds....

Hi --

You're right, this happens very late in the start-up process. A lot of things have to go right by this point, including Linux boot-up.

The relay mutes the headphone output. The other outputs are muted using transistor-based circuits. Strange that Genos should re-try unmuting multiple times...

Which splash screens do you see beginning from a cold (full power off) start? The tuning fork? The Genos logo? What is the last screen that you see?

All the best -- pj

fjuppe

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 03:14:17 AM »
Hi,

"Which splash screens do you see beginning from a cold (full power off) start?"

There is always a normal power up sequence and screens. The main screen comes up normal I can select all options, no problem. If I immediately starts playing the style or Right hand sounds the audio stops after about 3-5 seconds and all buttons freeze. The touch screen operates normally but the software appears to be slow or sluggish like the CPU is running 100% all the time.

/fjuppe

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 03:21:01 AM »
"Which splash screens do you see beginning from a cold (full power off) start?"

There is always a normal power up sequence and screens. The main screen comes up normal I can select all options, no problem. If I immediately starts playing the style or Right hand sounds the audio stops after about 3-5 seconds and all buttons freeze. The touch screen operates normally but the software appears to be slow or sluggish like the CPU is running 100% all the time.

Are you playing a user style? It could be your problem.

Does the freeze happen when you use a preset style?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

fjuppe

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »
"Does the freeze happen when you use a preset style?"

It doesn't matter what I play, after power on, you have the basic Piano sound playing all over the keyboard, after 3-5 seconds it freezes with no style playing...

Today, I took the cover off, reseated all connectors that are accessable without removing any metal covers, now testing with cover still open,  so far, so good....no freeze

fjuppe

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 10:37:03 AM »
So,

Now my keyboard has been working for 3 days in a row, I put back all screws and am enjoying the Genos again.

Seemed the problem was some electromechanical, probably one connectorpin not making good contact. I know the current climate in Thailand is very much affecting everything, you get all kinds of wiered problems in electronics these days.....

Thanks to all who contributed with good questions/advices !

Lesson learned....

fjuppe

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »
So happy for you😀😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 02:00:19 PM »
Dear Fijuppe,

you are a BIG example of  tenacity to all of us, And your patience and strong will prized!

Very happy for the excellent outcome :D

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.