Author Topic: PSR-E443  (Read 1860 times)

adarob73

PSR-E443
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:35:39 PM »
Hello everyone.
It's nice to be here.
I need help, my PSR-E443 doesn't read the usb.
I want to know how to create my own styles.
Thank you so much

Offline mikf

Re: PSR-E443
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:59:04 PM »
Hi adarob73
Style creation is a big subject. You should start by looking at the various tutorials and videos on this site and others. Then you can ask specific questions about style creation when you try things and run into trouble.
On the USB question, can you also be more specific, what are you trying to read, what steps are you taking, what is happening.

As a general point, it is best to ask quite direct questions here to get good answers. Also think about putting a name, or nickname on your posts so we don't have to address you as adarob73.
Mike

adarob73

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:25:27 PM »
Thanks for response,
Regarding the USB, I have downloaded some styles, and I want to transfer them to my keyboard, but when I connect it does not appear on the screen.

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »
Did you format the usb stick on the keyboard? Best is to do so since not all formatings are accepted. Best is to use a stick with no more than 32GB.1
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »
Have you selected styles on the keyboard, then selected usb. You have to be in the styles section to see styles on the usb.
Mike

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
If the USB is properly formatted and if the style files are SFF1 style files, the styles should show up when you select the "Load STY" file function while the USB is inserted. However, there are a few possible reasons why they might not show up.

(1) Contrary to what some people advise, the USB stick should only be inserted or removed while the PSR-E keyboard is turned on. This might be different from higher-end models, so always check the owner's manual for your particular model and follow the guidelines that it specifies. The two important things to note with regard to inserting or removing the USB stick are that (a) when you insert the USB stick you must wait several seconds while the keyboard reads it, during which time the upper left corner of the LCD panel will display a flashing USB indicator, which will stop flashing when the keyboard has finished reading the USB stick; and (b) when you save data to the USB stick, wait until the keyboard has finished writing to the USB stick. Do not remove the USB stick or turn off the keyboard while the keyboard is reading from the USB stick or you could corrupt the keyboard's memory; and do not remove the USB stick or turn off the keyboard while the keyboard is writing to the USB stick or you could corrupt the USB stick.

(2) If the USB stick is not formatted properly-- that is, if its file system is not in a format that the keyboard can understand-- then the keyboard will not be able to access it. If you format the USB stick using the keyboard, the keyboard will format it using the file system that it understands; but if you format the USB stick using a computer, it might get formatted using a file system that the keyboard can't understand.

(3) The PSR-E models cannot use the SFF2 style file format, also known as SFF-GE ("Style File Format - Guitar Edition"). The style files must be SFF1 style files or the keyboard won't be able to use them. It should still be able to see them on the USB stick, but it won't be able to play them. Jorgen Sorensen has a utility that can convert SFF2 style files to SFF1 style files.

(4) The extensions on the filenames must be ".STY"; none of the other numerous style file extensions that Yamaha uses will work. Note that the filename extension doesn't affect the internal style file format, so if you have SFF1 style files that don't use the ".STY" extension then you can simply rename their extensions using a computer.

(5) There must not be any extra periods in the style file's name, otherwise the keyboard will have trouble being able to correctly detect the filename extension. Note that many Yamaha style files include an extra period followed by a 4-character icon ID before the filename extension, such as "4-BeatRock.A123.STY" or something similar. Many Yamaha keyboards use those icon IDs to tell them which icons to use when displaying the style file's name in the LCD panel display, but the PSR-E models don't use special icons like that and the icon ID will confuse the keyboard because it will see the period that's in front of the 4-character ID and think that everything after the period is the filename extension. If you have style files that have these icon IDs in their filenames, use a computer to rename the filenames and either delete the extra period and the icon ID, or at least change that first period to some other character so it doesn't confuse the keyboard.

(6) The style files must be small enough to load into the available "user style slots" in the keyboard's system memory. The exact size varies a little bit from model to model, but a good ballpark number is 50kB, otherwise the style file might be too large to load into the system memory. If you have style files that are too large to load, you can usually reduce their sizes by using a utility from Jorgen Sorensen to rearrange the style sections and remove any unusable variations. The PSR-E models are limited to using the A and B variations, so any sections for the C or D variations can be deleted to remove any extraneous bytes from the style file.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »
I want to know how to create my own styles.

Just to note that the E-series keyboards do not have an onboard style creator.
Genos

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
I'm willing to bet that the culprit is most likely #4 and/or #5. Many of the style files I've seen on the internet have those 4-character icon IDs in their filenames, and/or have file extensions other than ".STY" depending on which "types" of styles they're considered to be. The "Load STY" file function of the E-series keyboards won't display any files that do not have the ".STY" extension, and those 4-character icon IDs will definitely confuse the keyboard about the file extension due to the period that precedes the icon ID.

But even after you successfully get the style files to show up for the "Load STY" file function, they still need to be checked for their style file format, file size, and variations-- not to mention revoicing them to use the most appropriate voices and drum kits which are available on the specific E-series model. Thank goodness for Jorgen Sorensen and his utilities, because they are essential tools for any E-series owners wanting to collect style files and tweak them for use on an E-series model.