Author Topic: how to create pedal steel  (Read 3345 times)

ekurburski

how to create pedal steel
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:18:31 AM »
can anyone advise me on how to create a authentic  pedal steel on my 3000?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 04:35:17 AM by ekurburski »

Offline mikf

Re: how to create pedal steel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 05:43:23 AM »
Playing technique is as important as the voice, and I think best achieved by using a pedal to directly control the glissando. You set the pedal to pitch control where full up is full,pitch, then typically depress it just a fraction ahead of hitting the note and and back off to full up to get control of depth and rate of glissando. You can also depress and reverse slightly right as you press the note to get that very Hawaiian down/up glissando. Mini pedal movement near full pitch can control the vibrato.
The range of the pedal needs to be set to suit the individual and will require some experiment but start with about a tone range. That way you only have to depress the pedal a little for normal depth, and not the whole way. If you set the range too big or small you will have trouble getting a consistent depth and speed on the glissando. Takes practice but it’s not too difficult, especially for piano players who are used to pedaling.
I’m afraid basic ability matters with stuff like this. Good  players will probably get the hang of it in minutes, but novice and intermediate players might find that adding yet another thing to think about in real time might just be one thing too many.
Like every instrument on the arranger, even when mastered it will never match the real thing, but it will be reasonably effective.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: DaveD, Armand

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »
thanks Mike, Not really what I wanted, but.  Guess I'll miss around a bit and see if I can build up a closer sound to begin with.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 11:21:50 PM »
On my PSR 2100 there is a style called Hawaiian. It has to be on the 3000 as well. One of the OTS of that style has a good steel guitar sound, With some pitch bend wheel work it will sound good. Very good idea to use a Pedal. I have to try that, haven't mastered that steel guitar just yet :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:00:52 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »
Earl
Your choice of course, but as Toril says the original sound on the 3k is not bad. I had a 3k for years and agree. You can tweak this voice to your hearts content, or search for a better voice, but my experience is that the difference in how authentic it sounds will always be fairly minor compared to working on playing technique.
Mike

ekurburski

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 02:35:45 AM »
Well now I have to apologize.  I have checked the data sheet and find the 3000 has a pedal steel after all.  I find that there seems to always be more on the instrument then I realize.  Will have to work with the sound I have.

ekurburski

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 03:18:47 AM »
Played the several pedal steel sounds and see that I'm going have to spend some practice time on learning how to bet recreate an authentic sound.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
Playing technique is as important as the voice, …….
Earl - You got there in the end….
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 12:20:22 PM »
Now that you have found the Pedal Steel Guitar voice on your keyboard, go to YOUTUBE and find a video of a real Pedal Steel guitar player LESSON.

Play along with the lesson by ear and learn the notes to the lick, then add in the needed bends to complete the lick.