Author Topic: USB Flashdrive. 2.0 vs 3.0  (Read 2796 times)

Offline guitpic1

USB Flashdrive. 2.0 vs 3.0
« on: August 12, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
It seems Yamaha keyboards require USB 2.0 in both cables and flash drives.  USB 2.0 has been taken over by USB 3.0 and 2.0 flash drives etc. are getting harder to find in useable sizes.

I wonder when Yamaha is going to adapt here?
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline pjd

Re: USB Flashdrive. 2.0 vs 3.0
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »
Hi --

This subject always seems to come up.  :)  USB 3 flash drives can be used in place of USB 2. Example: I use Kingston DT EG2 32GB and USB 2 cables with my gear. No problems.

Of course, everything runs at USB 2 speed.

For the technically inclined, Yamaha typically uses system-on-a-chip (SOC) processors with integrated USB 2 ports. Once Yamaha adopts SOCs with integrated USB 3, we'll see it in products.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 07:34:47 PM »
Hi guitpic1,

You can simply use USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 sticks on Yamaha Keyboards. They are fully compatible with USB 2.0. On the keyboard, of course, as already mentioned by pj, such sticks run at USB 2.0 speed. When using USB 3.x sticks on the computer (USB 3.x connection required) you can then achieve a much higher speed than with USB 2.0 sticks. This means that copying data on the computer and creating backups of the USB stick content is much faster.

P.S.
Every now and then it happens that a certain USB stick model is not recognized on a certain Yamaha keyboard. But this is quite rare. Almost all available USB sticks work.

To be completely on the safe side, you can download the current (!) "Compatible USB Device List" for your Yamaha keyboard and try to get one of the USB sticks listed there. However, I have never looked at this list myself. With Tyros4, Tyros5 and Genos I never had the problem that one of my various USB sticks was not recognized. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
The advantage of using 3.0 flash drives is that file transfers go faster on the computer, but unfortunately not on the keyboard!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 03:42:17 PM »
Here’s one Flashdrive my DGX won’t recognize.

128gig. USB 3.0

[attachment deleted by admin]
guitpic1

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »
Here’s one Flashdrive my DGX won’t recognize.

128gig. USB 3.0

Hi guitpic1,

Have you made sure that this USB stick is formatted with the "FAT32" file system (NOT e.g. with "exFAT" or "NTFS")?

Have you tried to format the stick directly on the keyboard?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
Hi Chris

I have tried a couple of times to format the stick on my DGX.  It doesn’t show up on the utility screen.  This stick does work on my Lenovo laptop.

And I have been able to use a 128 gig USB 2.0 stick on my DGX.

Thing is I like these short sticks on my keyboards.  I have a cruzer(short) USB on my Genos.

Thx for replying
guitpic1

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 08:21:24 PM »
The newest 2 Yamahas (DGX670, PSRsx600... same chipset after all) both have trouble reading any USB sticks above 32gb in size. Not only will the stick not show up on your DGX, but it will prevent any working sticks from showing up until you turn the unit off and back on.

It's theoretically possible for them to add more USB sticks /pen drives to the compatible list down the road through OS updates (provided the usb stick doesn't exceed the max current allowed), but for now, I have a 128gb (3.1) hanging around my neck on a lanyard (what you see in all my youtube vids) and the arrival of these 2 keyboards forced me to go out and purchase a smaller 32gb (3.0).

PDJ is correct, having USB 3.0 or higher doesn't render them incompatible with your kb (you just won't be taking advantage of the higher read/write speed). But having an OS that doesn't recognize more than 32gb does.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »
Mark

Good explanation.

After trying(again unsuccessfully) to get the DGX to read the 128 gig thumb drive, I put the drive that did work back in and it quit working till I turned the DGX off then back on.

Now it makes sense.

👍
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 09:11:43 PM »
Mark,

By the way, my brother’s name is Tom Lee.  😊
guitpic1

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 11:13:25 PM »
This is not good! Why on Earth would they use a lesser chip set on never models??? And how are users supposed to know that, if they use a flash drive that is too big, the keyboard will refuse to read other drives too until you have turned it off and on again?
Now I am a little shaken! Yamaha, seriously??
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 11:32:51 PM »
...not because they are new, but they happened to be the 'entry' level chipset of the pro psr series. also no touch screen, etc.

The A5000 is also the sx600 chipset (but with a lot added on); but it *does* use the hardware from the sx700/sx900 series (touch screen, more compatiblity with USB sticks). So even though it share the basic chipset, the motherboard is different, and it *can* read my 128gb usb stick.

I just forgot about the A5000 when I typed the above because we sold all 3 of ours almost immediately, leaving me with no floor model unit :(

And they do post compatiblity lists, which they update
https://br.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1366042/en-PSR-SX600.pdf

If it makes you feel any better, it's more to do with the huge variety of usb sticks; Xbox Series X has the same issue with TV's; they claim 4k, but if your TV hasn't been added to the compatibility list yet, it'll only work in 1080 and below. (If you contact them with your TV's model though, they *will* add it)

In Yamaha's case with USB sticks, there are probably too many for them to add individual user's sticks by request. Just simpler to test ones that work (as they are released) and add to that compatibility list.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »
Got this one to work:

Sandisk USB 2.0 64 gig

[attachment deleted by admin]
guitpic1

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 12:20:07 AM »
awesome!

That suggests it may have more to do with the current draw than the actual size then (that's why when you put the 128gb in, no other stick would read... basically it's overloaded the current milliamp draw).

Alas my 128gb Sandisk and 64gb Kingston still draw too much current then ><