Author Topic: ew310  (Read 1717 times)

rrwier

ew310
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
Hello to the Forum!

Something has happened with my new ew310. I must have inadvertently chosen an undesirable setting.

The uppermost octave (or an octave and a half, depending on the voice) has become silent at low to medium volume. At maximum volume "some" voices produce a horrible "banging" sound over this far upper range, while other voices remain silent.

I'm not absolutely positive that this is a result of my setting selections. It may have shipped with this anomaly.

Any ideas on how to get these far upper keys to sound normally?

Thanks!
Robin Wier

Offline SciNote

Re: ew310
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
I believe that this keyboard has quite a few digital DSP effects built in.  Perhaps one of them that alters the sound in this way got switched on, so check that and make sure all of the DSP effects are switched off, and then try testing it again.

If that isn't it, then I'm not sure.  Did you just get the keyboard, and it sounds this way out of the box?  It could be a defect, but one thing you can check is to do a full reset, as most Yamaha keyboards have a procedure to do this.  Just be aware that anything you have saved on it, such as registrations or recorded songs, will be erased when you do a reset.  Often, turning the keyboard off, then turning it back on while holding down the highest note of the keyboard does the reset, but check the manual to be sure.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

rrwier

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »
Thanks, one day old ew310. But I am not sure if I ever hit the high keys before messing with the settings. Will try suggestions and report back tomorrow.

I gave a previous well-used e396 to a pair of 5 yr old great-grandkids (twins) so I am somewhat familiar with the 310 set-ups.

Thanks again!

rrwier

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 05:49:36 AM »
Hello SciNote,

I did the restart while holding down the highest note. No changes were observed immediately. Over the next several hours, I noticed that the drop-off of sound (highest notes) with various Voices was intermittent, constantly changing, and not predictable. Then I noticed the little DSP notice on the screen. It kept showing up without me consciously turning it on. If I stay vigilant and react to each instance of DSP on (get it turned off), the function of the highest keys returns to normal. Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry.

Robin Wier

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »
Glad I was able to help -- at least somewhat.  But that seems weird -- the DSP turning on and off by itself like that.  I'm guessing that some of the sounds may have DSP programmed into them, so that the DSP would turn on when you select one of those sounds, and then turn off when you select a sound that does not have DSP programmed into it.  But the way you're describing this, it sounds like the DSP is just turning on and off by itself, at random, without you doing anything on the control panel.

That sounds like a defect, but if anyone else out there has experience with this keyboard and could explain this behavior, then please let us know!  The other thing you can do, if you haven't done so already, is check the manual.  There is often a trouble-shooting page or two toward the back of the manual that describes certain conditions/behavior and provides possible explanations for this behavior.  Maybe this DSP issue will be listed, but that seems like a long shot.

One other possibility -- How are you powering the keyboard?  Batteries?  Make sure the batteries are fresh.  AC adapter that did not come in the box with the keyboard?  Make sure it has the proper voltage, polarity, and current ratings.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:50:43 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios