Author Topic: Expansion flash memory  (Read 2255 times)

Offline adrianed

Expansion flash memory
« on: August 11, 2021, 12:03:43 AM »
Hi folks,
The flash memory is expensive so I am trying to decide if the smaller of the two would be sufficient
Difficult for others to say of course
Just looking for comments
Adrian

Offline DerekA

Re: Expansion flash memory
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
That's an impossible question for us to answer, because it totally depends on how many expanded voices you intend to install. The sizes of packs varies enormously from a few MB to hundreds of MB.

When you buy a flash expansion, if you then decide it's not enough, you have to throw it away and buy a whole new one - you can't add to it. So that's an argument to buy the largest flash you can.

But if you then find you're not that impressed with the expansion voices, you have spent more than you needed to.

It's really your choice. Take into account if you are considering upgrading Tyros to Genos in the near future, because it's unlikely a trade in would give you anything like the value you paid for the flash card.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
Personally, I immediately opted for the 2 GB version of my T5 and have never regretted it. You can never run out of space until disk streaming takes place. Unfortunately, the T5's operating system can't manage more than 2GB, so there will never be more memory. Since the 2 GB are too small for me, I just have to overwrite it again and again and manage the registrations meticulously. In the event of a sale, I would sell the memory separately.

Offline Del B

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »
I only have the 1GB flash memory and wished I had the 2GB, and I probably won't now as I would look towards upgrading the keyboard instead.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
Yes on Genos there is now an internal 3Gb of flash memory and 1Gb on the SX900. Some shops have memory cards second hand.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 11:26:20 PM »
DereckA,
Yes Derek I did realise it was a question with no answer, but thankyou for your response, I Did gain knowledge by asking
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 11:29:39 PM »
Thankyou wersianer for your helpful reply
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 11:32:39 PM »
Del B,
Thankyou for that, I think you are right about getting the larger one,
It seems from a first look on the internet they might be hard to get
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 11:47:22 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Thankyou for your reply
I would be very happy if I could purchase a used one, I have not seen any offered though
When I looked on the internet I didn’t see any Used ones offered, not even any new of the larger ones came up on the search
It would be very handy if you or anyone could point me to a possible source of used ones For T5
I also notice that when I searched for the smaller one most ads were saying they were for the T4
I have presumed that the ones for a T4 are the same as the ones used on a T5
Adrian
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:48:34 PM by adrianed »

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:24 AM »
MUTEC FMC-07 is a flash memory expansion for the Yamaha synthesizers MOXF8, MOXF6, Tyros 4 and Tyros 5 as well as MOTIF XF 6, XF 7 and XF 8. With the FMC-07 the memory is extended by non-volatile 2 GB: Waveforms and Samples remain saved after switching off the device.

MUTEC FMC-07 Flash Memory Expansion Board at a glance:
Flash memory for Yamaha synthesizers
2048 MB storage capacity
High quality FlashROM memory with fast access times and a long service life
6-layer multilayer circuit board to reduce digital noise and electrical interference
100% in-system tested
Developed and manufactured in Germany

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
Yes I used a Mutec 2Gb memory in my Tyros 5 and it worked perfectly.