Author Topic: Spliting harmony?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Dave Nuttall

Spliting harmony?
« on: August 05, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
I think the answer is NO.

The question is:  Can you make the Genos split the harmony?   

MixMaster has a feature where multiple notes on one channel can be moved to an alternate channel based on a user defined "mid-point" (i.e. C3).

TIA.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline DerekA

Re: Spliting harmony?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
Ensemble mode can do this kind of thing, splitting up to 4 notes across 4 voices.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Dave Nuttall

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:21:51 PM »
Without being sure what the question really means  ::) ;) if you want the Harmony to split between R1 and/or R2 and/or R3 voice parts it can be done by selecting Multi in the standard Harmony settings. If you select Block /Multi  you will get a total of  5 notes sounding. Total note nos. reduce as you select simpler harmonies.
Sometimes it may be preferable to select multi because of the Harmony distributions that occur across the 2 or 3 voice parts chosen. Also the left voice remains available to play giving a fuller sound if preferred whereas ensemble steals the Left for the lead voice.
John
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 10:35:24 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:02:35 AM »
Ensemble mode can do this kind of thing, splitting up to 4 notes across 4 voices.

That was very helpful, Derek!  Thanks!
My "project" is to convert a Christian song/hymn that I wrote to be an SATB choir piece.
I set the harmony as 4-way open 2 (or 3) and used the Ensemble Solo Quartet voice (all strings).

The fun came when I moved from MIDI to notation!
Melody ended up on Ch2 and Ch3 was viola, so I:
- changed the voices on Ch1 and Ch2 to XG-Violin and Ch3 and Ch4 to XG-Cello.
- temporarily moved Ch2 to Ch5 and Ch1 to Ch2 (to show up as the "alto" voice)
- move Ch5 back to Ch1
- quantize 1,2,3,4
- read into MuseScore.....looks pretty good....a lot easier than starting with a melody line and writing 3 harmony parts.

Thanks again.
d.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 01:07:43 AM »
Without being sure what the question really means  ::) ;) if you want the Harmony to split between R1 and/or R2 and/or R3 voice parts it can be done by selecting Multi in the standard Harmony settings. If you select Block /Multi  you will get a total of  5 notes sounding. Total note nos. reduce as you select simpler harmonies.
Sometimes it may be preferable to select multi because of the Harmony distributions that occur across the 2 or 3 voice parts chosen. Also the left voice remains available to play giving a fuller sound if preferred whereas ensemble steals the Left for the lead voice.

I tinkered with this method, John, but somehow I wasn't getting anything recorded except Ch1, so I tried the ensemble method that Derek suggested and reported my success above.

I'm not sure what you meant by the ensemble steals the left for the lead voice....in my one try, using a 4-voice ensemble, the melody ended up on Ch2.   

Will experiment more as soon as I can finish my choir arrangement.

Thanks for the suggestions.
d.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Hi Dave,
Having seen the type of music you are harmonising in your project, I would agree that Ensemble is probably the best way.
If you are creating your own harmony by playing with up to 4 fingers on the keys, the finger positions probably dictate which position the lead voice arrives at.
In my original comments I was assuming the auto harmony was switched on. By default (on ensembles I have used) that has assigned the lead to the left part.

John
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:58:32 AM by jwyvern »