Author Topic: DAW Advice Needed  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Nova227

DAW Advice Needed
« on: February 17, 2023, 01:18:09 PM »
 Looking for your ideas and experiences on which DAW ( Logic, Garage Band , Cubase , etc) to use with Sx 900 ?

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Re: DAW Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 06:58:23 AM »
I am using Cubase very successfully with my Genos and Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. It all works great together.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »
Nova,

I use Cakewalk by Bandlab. It is now being offered for free. I have been using it for 20 years, it works great.

Rick D.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 02:20:11 PM »
Please State the reasons as to why you feel like you require a DAW.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Nova227

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 04:08:05 PM »

Here is the approach that I have seen and hoping to achieve.

1. Create and record your song on your PSR. It is now in the midi format.
2. Transfer the song to your PC with a USB stick
3. Open up the DAW software , and load the middle file.
4. When the midi files opens up, you will have all the tracks of the song that you recorded on the PSR in midi
5. Now you can use all the  tools in the DAW to do advanced editing  or recording of your song.
6. If your PSR is connected to your PC with the USB cable, you can set the DAW to play back the midi  data on your PC to your PSR.
7. Your DAW software will need to have an instrument definition file specific to your PSR so it knows what instruments to play on your PSR when it’s connected.

From the feedback I have gotten from members on the form , Cakewalk software is a good solution since has many instrument definition files available.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 06:51:06 PM »
Here is the approach that I have seen and hoping to achieve.

1. Create and record your song on your PSR. It is now in the midi format.
2. Transfer the song to your PC with a USB stick
3. Open up the DAW software , and load the middle file.
4. When the midi files opens up, you will have all the tracks of the song that you recorded on the PSR in midi
5. Now you can use all the  tools in the DAW to do advanced editing  or recording of your song.
6. If your PSR is connected to your PC with the USB cable, you can set the DAW to play back the midi  data on your PC to your PSR.
7. Your DAW software will need to have an instrument definition file specific to your PSR so it knows what instruments to play on your PSR when it’s connected.

From the feedback I have gotten from members on the form , Cakewalk software is a good solution since has many instrument definition files available.

Hi Nova227,

An instrument definition file of the keyboard used is not absolutely necessary in the DAW. A MIDI file recorded on the keyboard and then imported into the DAW plays the "correct" voices again (on the keyboard connected via MIDI / USB-MIDI) even without an instrument definition file.

However, a suitable instrument definition file is useful if you want to exchange Voices in the DAW. Then you don't always have to look up the relevant Voice Numbers (Bank Select MSB / LSB / Program Change) in the Voice Selection display of the keyboard or in the "Data List".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 06:52:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 04:04:15 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't really require a DAW.
Explore your keyboard more!
Midi and audio recording is already covered by the keyboard.

Regards Norman
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 03:00:24 PM »
I agree Norman.

Perhaps DAW could be moved somewhere other than where most people simply have zero interest in it.

Show DAW the DOOR!
PLAY your keyboards guys. They aren't toys.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:02:10 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Nova227

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 04:40:05 PM »
Interesting perspective on DAW use from the last 2 comments.

Maybe I am missing something on the SX 900. Where is the paino roll editor ?

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
Interesting perspective on DAW use from the last 2 comments.

Maybe I am missing something on the SX 900. Where is the paino roll editor ?

Yes, interesting perspective on DAW... ;)

For serious MIDI file programming, a DAW is essential. A MIDI file can be recorded linearly on the keyboard, and this has the advantage that all necessary controllers and SysEx are automatically recorded. You can also (relatively awkwardly) record in Step Edit Mode or make minor changes to a MIDI file. For everything else we use a MIDI sequencer program / DAW. :)

By the way, the PC programs PSRUTI and MixMaster are also indispensable for MIDI file programming for Yamaha XG keyboards:
>>> https://heikoplate.de/psruti.html
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

I also recommend the "Midifile Optimizer XI" program by the German company "Midiland" (available for Windows or macOS). With this program you have, among other things, direct access to all DSPs (Effect Blocks), Part EQs (if needed also to the Master EQ), Vocal Harmony and all Voices of the respective keyboard, with the possibility that the respective Voice Set parameters (including effect settings) are automatically written to the MIDI file. This program doesn't come cheap, but it's worth every penny.
>>> https://www.midiland.de/software/software.html

Free demo versions (saving is disabled) are available here:
Optimizer XI Demo (Windows): https://www.midiland.de/software/OptimizerXI_Demo.zip
Optimizer XI Demo (macOS): https://www.midiland.de/software/OptimizerXImacOS64_Demo.zip

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 07:47:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 10:27:12 PM »
Hi
I think Cubase would be fine and for me it is the Genos that i use .
Record a song on your keyboard into your sequencer and then you can edit the midi in Cubase before recording each track to wave.
If you have program changes on your main track using registrations, you can edit the track in question and then record and cut where the program changes are and then stick them on different tracks for when you come to final mixing. You can even split a drum track into several parts in Cubase and work on each drum part.
I all depends where you want to go.
The beauty of a daw like Cubase is that you can even use VST instruments to play through your keyboard and combine with the Genos if you wish.
Again it is all a steep learn curve, but if you enoy it you will come through.
I am 71 but never too late to learn or go on a nice two week cruise. :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 10:40:07 PM »
Please State the reasons as to why you feel like you require a DAW.

Hi Norman

Using Cubase is fantastic and opens up a lot of possibilities editing midi, using vst's, using Sample Robot to make new sound from vst and then convert to sf2 for Genos.
Christian has also said to me that VST 3 will be integrated soon and that would be a wow signal.
You have to be reasonable with sampling from there as some files can be huge.
I did a male and female choir voiced together to get a part in Mr Blue Sky done  and synth sounds  from various vst's.
Now i am learning Wavelab and fancy looking more into the mastering side.
The thing sis that i do practice daily also to keep the fingers from going rusty and also it is great to record songs in one hit and then go into them and edit / mix and have a bash at mastering.
Some play live, i am a bedrooom musician , but i will not be jumping off the wardrobe in my Batman outfit tonight ;D

atb
John 8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:41:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox