Author Topic: Questions about correct use of flash memory expansion  (Read 2208 times)

Offline gabrielschuck

Questions about correct use of flash memory expansion
« on: July 31, 2021, 01:28:35 PM »
Hello friends, I hope you all are very well.
Maybe this question might be kind of obvious, but I really wish I could understand to avoid any incident that could somehow damage the expansion flash memory.
If I happen to lose power during formatting when installing new packs, or if I accidentally press the power button, is it only the data in flash memory that will get corrupted or am I at any risk of screwing up the flash memory as well?
I ask this for the following:

First, because I'm planning to expand the keyboard further by buying a 2048 mb memory, but it will cost me even more due to the value of the coin (1 pound=R$7.24).
According to the thomann website, the price of one would cost £325 which would be R$2,353.95 in Brazilian real.
As I'm just starting out in the world of packs and samplers on keyboards, I'd like to take all possible precautions and hear experiences from those who have been using these flash memories for a longer time in terms of durability.

Second, because using wireless adapter doesn't seem like a good alternative to avoid a lot of formatting, at least in my case.
Unfortunately, the Tyros5 doesn't provide any audible feedback which would give me a little more independence especially in situations like these, where I would need to select my wireless network and enter the passkey to finally have the keyboard connected to it.
I don't know if there would be another solution than to format every time I need to install (or test) a pack, because in the future I also want to venture into the creation of my own packs. It will also be a challenge for me because YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) is also not very accessible for use with screen readers on windows.

Lastly, it's likely that these expansion memories will be discontinued, as today's keyboards already come with one built in internally.
Is it a fear on my part or is this really going to happen?
 Thanks in advance for the advice and feedback, and sorry for anything.
Gabriel
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:33:03 PM by gabrielschuck »
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline EileenL

Re: Questions about correct use of flash memory expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 03:23:41 PM »
Yes I think the Expansion Memory will no longer be needed on newer keyboards. I have Genos which has 3 Gb and SX900 which has 1 Gb built in. You can pick up second hand Memory boards from some shops now here in UK.
  I used a 2Gb one in my Tyros 5 and did not have a problem.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »
To accidentally hit the power button on a Tyros5 is not easy, as the button is at the back of the unit! All memory devices can be damaged if power is shut off doring data transfer, but usually it will not happen. The extra memory board on Tyros is rather expensive. I have a T5, but have never installed it because I do not use expansion packs on it. But if you are into expansion packs you need it. You mention screen reader. Do you mean Jaws, ZoomText or other programs like that. These programs are usually made to function best on Microsoft applications, so they may be hard to use with YEM. I am using ZoomText, but have not tested it on YEM with the speach synthesis on.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
Yes I think the Expansion Memory will no longer be needed on newer keyboards. I have Genos which has 3 Gb and SX900 which has 1 Gb built in. You can pick up second hand Memory boards from some shops now here in UK.
  I used a 2Gb one in my Tyros 5 and did not have a problem.

Thank you Eileen.
Well, from the looks of it then, it's not something I need to worry about so much.
Since they are quite expensive, they are designed to last longer, even when any of these situations may occur, which is very rare but not impossible.
About the purchase of a 2gb expansion memory, it would even be so that I could have more space to put somewhat large packs (about 100, 300 /400 mb).
My keyboard already came with a 1gb one, but as I know they are quite expensive, I had this concern regarding precautions, to think better if it's worth the investment of another one or if I keep this one.
 Could you give me the sites that are still selling this so I can have a look?
Regards,
Gabriel

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »
To accidentally hit the power button on a Tyros5 is not easy, as the button is at the back of the unit! All memory devices can be damaged if power is shut off doring data transfer, but usually it will not happen.

Yes, I know it's very difficult.
It is more likely that this can happen due to a power outage, although it is very rare too, but it can happen.
You never know, right? :)
About screen readers, exactly.
I use NVDA, but I also have Jaws installed. In both it is very difficult to use YEM to go a little further.
At least I can import the packs I want and generate the .CPI to install on tyros, but I like to explore the other possibilities to make my keyboard even more personalized the way I would like.
In these cases the lack of accessibility gets in the way a bit, but I'm still excited to try.
There are applications that are very accessible and are not necessarily from microsoft, they are often accessible by accident.
But in the case of yamaha this is not so.
greetings

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 11:14:02 PM »
Hi Gabriel,
  it is some of our music shops  that sell these second hand boards and always best to phone round