Author Topic: Slider window as default  (Read 3365 times)

Slider window as default
« on: July 29, 2021, 01:58:21 PM »
Hi friends,

I finally updated my Genos to version 2.02. Before the update, I could select any registration and the default choice for the Knob Assign and Slider Assign window was Slider. Now it's Knob Assign for all registrations! The only way I can see to fix that is to go through and re-memorize each registration with the Slider as the choice. Can this be done with one setting?

Why would Yamaha change that? All my registrations worked perfectly after the update, except for that one thing. I like to have the Slider settings available first so I can read the velocities and make adjustments on stage. If the default window is set to Knob and I move a slider, then the focus is immediately given to the Sliders but that's not good enough. We have enough to do in keeping the song going without playing with a bunch of software things. The fewer the better. During a show it's difficult to do both at once and often leads to mistakes!

I want to see the values first before touching anything. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Re: Slider window as default
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 09:06:37 PM »
Any opinions out there? Would Murray Best's program correct this very annoying oversite on Yamaha's part???
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
HI Lee

I think you can go to menu and go to Live Control and then you can make any changes for Knob and slider
My Sliders are all set to volume and knobs for effect etc

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 01:16:18 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for chiming in.

My problem is to do with the Knob Assign window being the default window for any registration I choose. Prior to the update, all my registrations would display the Slider Assign window when I chose a registration, which is what I want. For some dumb reason, the update has changed only that part of my registrations - all of them! This is totally stupid. When I load a registration, I want the Slider Assign window to appear, not the Knob Assign window.

It looks like I have to go through and change 250 registrations! Yamaha's update has buggered them all. I could try loading my backups but I fear that this blunder has something to do with the System settings, which are lost after the update. If I'm right, this is a serious bug Yamaha needs to fix before anyone else gets screwed by this. The registrations were supposed to be totally unaffected by the update. This is false and a real pain!! Now, I have to load a registration and remember to press the Slider Assign knob EVERY TIME before starting the song >:(!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:20:32 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:56:01 AM »
Hi Lee,
Normally I might expect settings after power on to be dictated by the System file but in this case it does not appear to be so. My Genos which is fully updated always gives me slider control (ie. Your preference) but If I then set it to Knob and save a System file it ignores that and continues to give slider control at startup, so System in this case does not appear to be involved.
So as you have suggested it may be your registrations that are affecting the assignment, but this is only likely IMO if you at some point saved them with Live Control ticked while the settings were against you. (I have never saved LC to regs. The parameter values continue to display regardless).
What control does your Genos give you after startup and before you touch any reg button - slider or knob?
If it is slider and you then set Freeze to Live Control and turn it on (before touching any reg button after power on) does that then preserve the slider status to what you want?
If this works it may provide a workaround or at least give stronger clues as to where the solution might, or maybe doesn't, lie. :)
John
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:21:43 AM by jwyvern »

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »
Many thanks, John.

On start up and before touching anything, my Genos displays the Style, M.Pad, Left, Right1, and so on. In other words, Slider controls. I froze the Live Control while in Slider view and power cycled the Genos. When I select a registration, it displays Knob assign. It never did this before the update.

It looks like I have to go through and fix EVERY registration! Grrrrrr.........

Edit
Previously, I selected Live Control in the Freeze section but forgot to turn Freeze on!!! Now that Freeze is turned on (duh) it retains the Slider assign window regardless of the selected registration. This works but is very odd because I never had this happen before the update. Weird!

Thanks for the help, John :).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:10:49 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 02:27:59 PM »
Okay...another problem. The Freeze button must be turned on or off for each registration! This gets me nowhere because I still need to go in and modify all 250 registrations. I can do a global freeze through Menu1 but I shouldn't have to! It also means I need to make sure the Freeze button is pressed after each power up.

Why is this happening? It didn't before the update. The update has altered something in the registrations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:30:45 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »
Hi Lee,

Have you tried a soft reset (power on while holding top key) before doing any of these tests?

Under the "odd" circumstances you have been presented with I suggest before doing a lot of work to modify all regs. I suggest you do a smaller trial first with just a few. Say re-memorise them with Live Control unticked and check a few times (after powers on) that they do work as you expect, and will continue to work.
I am not familiar with this detail of Murray's program but if it is simply a case of unsaving LC in the Regs. maybe this can be done via the program???

John
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:14:30 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
I'll give that a try, John. Right now, I'm packed for a show this afternoon - believe it or not! Thanks and I'll report back ASAP.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »
Thanks, John. I would submit that Yamaha made a stupid blunder.

I just played a gig and discovered the easiest work around is to select any registration, select the Slider display, and then freeze it for the duration of the show. Sometimes, Yamaha does things so stupidly. I won't even attempt the circus software they call YEM.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:11:19 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:05 PM »
I'm very interested, John. Many thanks.

- Lee
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:12:02 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:50 PM »
Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. I was away for a few days. I tried a soft reset but it didn't make any difference. The Slider display shows up first on power up but as soon as I select a registration, the Knob display appears on all my registrations. What a pain! Guess I have to use my Freeze work around.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
You won't be able to correct it by resetting the Genos. It is programmed in the update 2.02:

The Sliders and Knobs (and the Assignables) are usually saveable as part of the System file but after this update it is not possible to reload it, so users need to put them back manually to their preferred settings

I sent a PM.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari