Author Topic: Particular String Sound Required.  (Read 2109 times)

Offline shezza

Particular String Sound Required.
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
Hi all I am looking for a string sound that sounds like, Well to me it sound like a warble but there must be a correct word for it. It appears at the very start under the guitar of Gerry Marsden's "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" I have searched everywhere but to no avail. Hope someone has an Idea that I can try......Thanks.

Offline Amwilburn

Re: Particular String Sound Required.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »
Those are called tremolo strings; you'll need to get an expression pedal to make them "swell" like that. Unless you're lucky, and your kb has "strings sfz"  or "tremolo sfz" (the sforzando strings usually automatically add tremolo). Doesn't matter if it's called "real" or "seattle".

Mark

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 08:20:52 PM »
Hi Mak,
there should be "tremolostrings" in your model.
Different variations of tremolo strings are also in the 3 folders Legacy, GM&XG and GM2

You can also add tremolo to a string sound by using the DSP called tremolo and a type of the DSP effect that there are available (e.g on my model, with tremolo 03 I can change the speed of the tremolo)
It will not work well with all the string sounds, but you could try some of them to listen to the results.

In order to change the volume of the tremolo string voice a little in real time, you could also use the modulation wheel,if the left hand is free.

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
You don't tell us what keyboard you have, that would really help!

You'll have at least one tremolo strings voice. Look through what you have and if you can, layer two of them. This is almost essential for realistic tremolo (or tremolando) strings, as in a real orchestra, unless the music specifically requests a 'measured tremolo', the players will all play the tremolo at slightly different rates. The tremolo strings voice captures this but it's still artificial. Layering two different tremolo strings means that the tremolos will overlap and weave, resulting in a more realistic sound.

Sfz and tremolando are two very different things. It would be odd for an sfz voice to have tremolo. An sfz voice will usually start loud, drop down suddenly and then come gradually back up. But I've not tried any sfz strings recently.

With great respect to panos, adding a tremolo to a strings voice, while it's an interesting sound, is not the same as tremolo or tremolando.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »
Sfz and tremolando are two very different things. It would be odd for an sfz voice to have tremolo. An sfz voice will usually start loud, drop down suddenly and then come gradually back up. But I've not tried any sfz strings recently.
;

I wouldn't have thought so either, but it turns out every sforzando string I've found is automatically tremoloed - which if you think about it, does kinda make sense; it's not like you can easily increase the intensity of a bowed string by simply bowing harder; you'd run out of bowing length. Hence, they're automatically tremoloed.

See SeattleStrings sfz on Genos/PSRsx900/CVP809
Seattle Tremolo Sforzando on CVP805
Real Tremolo Sforzando on CVP709
Real Tremolo Sfz on CVP609, PSrs970/975, T4, T5

In other words, while not the same thing; Tremolo strings aren't necessarily sforzandoed; but sforzando strings on current Yamaha keyboards *are* necessarily tremoloed. (Yes, you could do a slow fade in non-tremolo string that would count as sfz, like the legacy sound "Slow strings".) But if it has sfz or sforzando in the name on a Yamaha keyboard, it *is* automatically tremoloed.

The strings at the start of "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" are definitely tremolo sfz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKta_gRc2gA

Mark