Author Topic: URGENT HELP - All my G# and D keys of Genos dead  (Read 6791 times)

Offline anandmaloo

URGENT HELP - All my G# and D keys of Genos dead
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
I am distraught. While playing my Genos, all the G# and D keys (all octaves) suddenly are dead. 
In fact on piano there is no sound on these keys. In strings, there is a feeble continuous sound from these keys once pressed, which does not go away even after releasing the keys.

I did nothing new or out of line. The keyboard did not move. I did not do any system setting changes.

PLEASE HELP. I AM SO TERRIFIED.

Regards

Anand

Offline Toril S

Re: URGENT HELP - All my G# and D keys of Genos dead
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
Anand, this sounds strange! Maybe a soft reset will solve the problem? You do that by holding down the rightmost white key while powering on the keyboard. Files will not be lost doing this, but some settings do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:01:52 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline LarsMoss

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »
Sorry to hear. Ever heard about this malfunction.
If Toril's suggestion not solve your problem you can always try to install your actual firmware again.
This is maybe the last thing to do for everyting you have saved will be lost. Im not sure what happens
with data stored in the Genos "harddrive" In fact that is also a part of the keyboards total memory.

Good luck

Best Regards
Lars
Keyboards: Tyros 5-76 and a Genos

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »
More issues. I am neither able to do a soft reset or a factory reset.

Pressed the rightmost white key while powering on, but nothing happened
Then tried factory reset option from Menu 2 - Utility with system checked. Nothing happens.

Additional note - when I tried to do factory reset again with both System and User Effects checked, my user effects got resetted (I lost them)

WHAT DO I DO 

Anand

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »
Some good news. Fiddled with some voice parameters in the voice menu. Voices kept coming and going. Some strings played, some did not. Even some piano played, some did not.
Then I restarted. Everything started playing.  Not the end of story. Since I had backed my user settings, I loaded them back. Again, to start of with, some voices disappeared, even of different notes. Some played with considerable delay after pressing. But slowly all came back.

I think there is definitely an issue with keyboard memory. Corrupted or something.  How do I test that all is ok and ensure such thing is not repeated

Regards

Anand

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
Hi Anand,

I fear that this is a hardware defect (Key Matrix or Key Scanner IC is probably defective).

Please make sure to back up all user data that is stored in the User drive. The easiest way to do this is in USB Storage Mode (connect the USB-to-Host terminal to the computer via a USB-AB cable, wait briefly until the Genos User drive is displayed on the computer as an external drive, then select all data on that drive (e.g. with Ctrl+A) and copy it to a new folder on the computer.

Alternatively, you could copy the files to a USB stick. Then you have to copy each file type (e.g. styles, registration files, multi pad files, MIDI files, audio files etc.) separately in the respective file selection display.

I also recommend to save a .bup backup file (using the internal Backup function) to a USB stick. This backup then contains the content of the User drive and also all user-defined System settings.

It is also ideal to save the so-called setup files separately. You do all of this in the display "Menu > Utility > Factory Reset/Backup> page 2/2".

Incidentally, the Expansion Wave Memory can NOT be saved. Here the content of the YEM or the .cpf/.ppf Pack files is the backup.

As already suggested, you could try to reload the current Firmware (version 2.02) on the Genos. To do this, you have to copy the unzipped file "GENOSSETUP.PRG" into the root directory of a USB stick, connect the stick to the Genos and then switch on Genos while holding down the STYLE START / STOP button.

Incidentally, reloading the Firmware does NOT delete the content of the User drive. Only the user-defined System settings are reset in some cases.

If this does not help, there is a special shortcut for the Genos to carry out a complete Factory Reset (including resetting the internal User drive and the System Boot parameters) WITHOUT having to start the internal Test Program. Note: Yamaha does not want this shortcut to be posted publicly on the internet. You are welcome to contact me via PM (Personal Message) in this regard.

I can give you also all needed information how to use the internal Test program (to check, among other things, all internal RAM and ROM memory chips).

P.S.
Unfortunately, I estimate the chances that your problem can be solved "by software" (Factory Reset / reload current Firmware) as relatively low. Nevertheless, I would try as described (unless you have a Yamaha service center nearby that can take a look at the device).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 05:35:05 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
I feel very sorry to hear your serious technical problems are not solved yet.🤔

Apparently all suggestions made by other members to help you out seem not to work. 🙄

Plse contact your dealer and/or your local Yamaha Repair Center.

Is your warranty still valid ?
If so, make a copy of your invoice.

Wish you good luck !
All the best,  JH
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:43:07 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 11:34:32 PM »
Hello Anand --

I took a quick look at the Genos Service Manual. I concur with Chris (overover). Most likely, this is not a software problem.

The D and G# keys share the same electrical connection(s). [For real nerds, the Genos keyboard is scanned in groups of six keys. D and G# share the same sense line.]

I suggest taking your Genos to a qualified repair center. They should first try re-seating the ribbon cables which interconnect the three keybed units and the EMKS printed circuit board. If you're lucky, one of the cables might have worked loose.

Fortunately, the EMKS board contains the chip/circuit which scans the keyboard. If the scanning chip or related components are defective, the EMKS board can be replaced. Likely, the main logic board is OK and that's the most expensive field replaceable part. Whew!

Please don't be terrified. Jeff has good advice, too, as Yamaha or its repair agent will want to see the invoice, etc.

Good luck and all the best -- pj

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 06:34:17 AM »
Thank you all for taking time out and giving me your valuable advice. I do understand now that its a hardware issue. Even the factory reset is not working !

Its just that in my almost 30 years of 8 different Yamaha keyboards, this is the first time I am experiencing such a machine breakdown. The machine is not under warranty now (2 years old) and I am not sure how good is the local Yamaha service centre back in Hyderabad, India (never needed them in last 30 years)

Just keeping my fingers crossed

Regards

Anand

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 07:08:13 AM »
Hi Anand  :

Are you sure your Genos is out of warranty ?🙄

Plse check your invoice first.🤔
If your Genos is out of warranty, let your dealer contact Yamaha directly to find the best solution for you.

Perhaps Yamaha are willing to help you out, who knows ?
Plse never forget Yamaha are very reliable partners. 😃
Yamaha like " old " customers like you. 🤓

BTW most Yamaha dealers in Europe are offering a 3 year's warranty.
Hope in India the 3 year's warranty is applicable too.🙏

Cross my fingers.🙃

Take care.
All the best.
Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:31:07 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »
There is a ribbon connector to the keys that has likely come lose from movement, which can easily happen, which is why I hate ribbon connections. Essentially, there are nearly a dozen wires all held together with the tips stripped and tinned. This is shoved into a tiny slot of the keybed. If you have some degree of electro-mechanical proficiency, it's just a matter of removing a couple dozen screws from the bottom of the keyboard and jiggling the ribbon connections into place again. Unfortunately, there is no way to lock them in place. If you do not possess these skills, I suggest taking the keyboard to an authorized Yamaha repair center.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 06:37:48 AM »
I am taking the unit to a service Centre today as my unit is out of warranty.

Imagine my plight- the YAMAHA service Centre guy has not even heard of something called Genos. I had to send him a picture. He says, don't worry i have got the training, please bring the unit to our Centre.

Pray for me !!!

Regards

Anand

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 08:25:25 AM »
I am praying!!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 08:39:53 AM »
Hi Anand :

Hope this Service Center will help you out ...
Never heard such an experience ever before.  8)

Let us hope it is a simple repair as described by Gary.
Good luck !
Cross my fingers, JH 

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
Before going to the service centre, I called the guy once to inform him that I was coming along with the keyboard and that I wanted it opened in my presence. He asked me not to come, saying that he did not have "spare parts" and that he is checking with Yamaha on email of their availibility (he does not know what Genos is and he has not even inspected it till now. This is just on the basis of my chat with  him - I had posted the advises from this group to him)

YAMAHA WORLD - ARE YOU LISTENING  >:(

Anand

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »
Before going to the service centre, I called the guy once to inform him that I was coming along with the keyboard and that I wanted it opened in my presence. He asked me not to come, saying that he did not have "spare parts" and that he is checking with Yamaha on email of their availibility (he does not know what Genos is and he has not even inspected it till now. This is just on the basis of my chat with  him - I had posted the advises from this group to him)

YAMAHA WORLD - ARE YOU LISTENING  >:(

Anand

Well Yamaha so.  :(

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
You need to get in touch with Yamaha directly yourself. They won't pick in up from a forum.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
ITS WORKING AGAIN !!!

I reloaded the firmware 2.02 after switching on the keyboard after two days - and it started behaving properly again. I hope it does not relapse again.

Maybe there was some moisture in the contacts or whatever. Don't know. I was also planning to lift it, shake it a bit, minor thumps, putting it upside down, if this had not worked (read it somewhere) . Glad did not need to do that.

In the hind sight, in the run up to the breakdown, I was trying some very old styles stored in my usb, collected over the years. Don't know if any of them corrupted the OS (if possible at all)

Whatever - its working now.

I did write to Yamaha India on Friday, around 72 hours ago. Have not heard back from them

THANK YOU ALL OF YOU FOR RESPONDING.  This is the best place on net for Keyboard players. Amazed at how people across the world take time out to respond and help you. Gratitude.

Regards

Anand
India

Offline terryB

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »
Great to hear Anand  :D So pleased for you.

Cheers Terry

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »
I am so happy for you Anand!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 10:02:02 PM »
Maybe the update was not installed well the first time, who knows ?

Very pleased to hear your problems are solved now.
Take care, JH
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:04:05 PM by Jeff Hollande »

whataguy

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 08:08:05 PM »
Lots of great advice for all of us.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 04:34:04 AM »
Last year during the pandemic, my Genos died.  It was out of warrentee.  Long story short,  The shop had to replace a $150 circuit board,  evidently they don't repair anything just swap out boards.  Ended up costing me $700.   As further insult to injury.  The USB  socket on Genos,  is not military spec, it is a super tiny bit larger, so USB cord, sort of floats in it, and often loses contact with my Mac and Logic Pro..  I just  solved the problem by putting in a tiny sliver of paper as I inserted USB cord.  That usually works.

I've own quite a number of Yamaha products for the last 40 years.   This was my very first experience with something failing.. But I definitely felt ripped off by the repair shop charging me $550 in labor, time..  Oh year the repair shop was only open two days out of the week cause of the covid...

My only alternative was to pay its

whataguy

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
Remember who that shop is Mark and any and every opportunity you have MAKE THEM PAY. Bigger than this pandemic crap we're experiencing is this type of conduct from thieves like this. From the price of gas to the scarcity of just about any commodity, they take that opportunity to stick it to the end user. Post your last message on social media and hope it goes viral. If you don't want to use the name, give a detailed description.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »
I am the luckiest person in the world when it comes to keyboard repairs. My repair person, who is Yamaha authorized, lives about an hour away in south eastern, PA. Unfortunately, I can no longer drive, so he also makes house calls and he is a parts replacement and repair guy - not a board swapper! Send me a PM if you live in the area and I'll be more than happy to provide you with his information.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...