Author Topic: Down loading styles for tyros 5 for this site  (Read 5380 times)

tyros5man

Down loading styles for tyros 5 for this site
« on: May 06, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
Hi guys, I’m new to this site I have a tyros 5 and a psrs650.
Can you please help me, I am trying to download the styles on this site to a memory stick to put into my keyboard i down loaded them onto my chrome book then dragged them onto the memory stick but when I put it into the tyros 5 keyboard and select usb, the stick appears empty but when u put the stick into my chromebook the files are there...

I’m not sure what Im Doing wrong as I watched a guy do this on his Mac on u tube and it worked for him.
I noticed the files are zipped..
Do I need to unzip them
And if so how do I do that please...

Thanks in advance from a frustrated musician lol..

Offline Toril S

Re: Down loading styles for tyros 5 for this site
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:36 PM »
Yes, you have to unzip the files! I use winrar, but there are many others.
Maybe your PC allready have an unzip program installed?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:31 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum, tyros5man!

Yes, of course you have to unzip the downloaded zip files first (on your computer). Yamaha keyboards cannot read zip archive files.

Copy the unzipped folder(s) containing the Style files on a USB stick and then connect the stick to the keyboard.

On the keyboard, open the Style Selection display (on the Tyros5 press the "D" button when you are in the Main display, or press one of the Style Category buttons). Then use the TAB buttons to go to "USB1" tab. Select (open) the desired folder on the USB drive, then select the desired Style to load it.

P.S.
Tyros5 supports a maximum of 500 files/subfolders per folder. But it is best to have a maximum of only 60 ... 100 files per folder. In addition, you should always put your files into folders. It is not recommended to have many files directly in the Root directory of USB sticks or the internal hard disk (HD1).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:54:25 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »

I’m not sure what Im Doing wrong as I watched a guy do this on his Mac on u tube and it worked for him.
I noticed the files are zipped..
Do I need to unzip them
And if so how do I do that please...

To unzip files in Windows, simply double click on the file. Then copy the contents to a folder (on your USB drive, for example). The contents will be unzipped during the copy.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline freeplay

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 12:18:46 PM »
Hi Chris. Can you please explain about the 500 files/subfolder means.
Can i just save over 2000 songs on the hard drive and play from that or use 64gb usb and play from that.
I have down loaded many styles from this forum onto a usb and added some of them to the hard drive.
Is it ok to do that.
I dont want to do do anything to my tyros 5, cant afford a new one

Cheers margaret

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 02:49:44 PM »
Hi Chris. Can you please explain about the 500 files/subfolder means.
Can i just save over 2000 songs on the hard drive and play from that or use 64gb usb and play from that.
I have down loaded many styles from this forum onto a usb and added some of them to the hard drive.
Is it ok to do that.
I dont want to do do anything to my tyros 5, cant afford a new one

Cheers margaret

Hi Margaret,

You should always use folders on the Tyros5 hard drive and also on USB sticks. This means you should not store many files directly in the root directory of the hard drive or USB sticks.

It is best to make a main folder for each file type on the T5 hard drive (e.g. the following main folders: Styles, Registrations, MIDI Songs, Audio Songs, Multi Pads, User Voices, System files).

Each folder can contain subfolders, and each subfolder can of course also subfolders. But you should not use too many subfolder levels (subfolder in subfolder).

Each folder or subfolder can contain a maximum of 500 files. Each subfolder is counted as one file. This means, if 10 subfolders are in a folder, you can store a maximum of 490 files in that folder (outside the 10 subfolders).

For a faster access, I recommend to store only a maximum of about 200 files per folder and use subfolders.

I hope I have explained it clearly enough! :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:51:33 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: freeplay

Offline freeplay

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »
Hi Chris
Thank you for your quick reply but you have completely lost me.
I dont know how to make a file or folders. i thought all i had to do was play the songs or try to.
i am a very new at this . Would i be better to have multiple usb sticks and just a few songs on the hard drive.
I play very easy music.
Cheers margaret

Online EileenL

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »
There is no need to have things on different USB sticks as you have a 500Gb hard drive on tyros. You don't want to keep pulling USB sticks in and out all the time as this causes ware and tear on the USB sockets in Keyboard. I make a folder which I call Styles. I open that folder and then create other folders in this one and I then give them titles of Ballad, Country, Latin, Swing etc. I then save the style types in them. It makes it very easy to find then.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
Hello Margaret :) As Chris and Eileen say, it is wise to organize the files you use on the keyboard. But you don't have to do it on the keyboard. It is much more convenient to do it on your computer. You can of course play styles directly from a hard drive or USB stick even if they are not in a folder, but trust me, you will soon get lost if you do not organize your files! That is what the advice is about. Think of your keyboard as a computer. you organize your stuff on the computer, pictures in one place, documents in another. Just the same with your keyboard :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
Margaret
Reading your posts I believe it would help you immensely if you could get a friend or someone in your family to sit with you and run through basic computer functions and terminology - like setting up folders, naming them, moving them around, adding files to them, zip compression etc. Although not directly on the keyboard you need to get comfortable with this very basic functionality to move stuff from computer to keyboard. And also understanding this and the terminology will help on the keyboard, where functions are similar, if slightly different.
People here are very helpful but it would be much more efficient to sit with someone to grasp the basics.
Mike

Offline freeplay

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 02:26:38 AM »
Hi
Thank you all for your great advice. You are all so helpful. I will give it a try

Cheers Margaret