Author Topic: I need some detailed information for the DGX 670  (Read 3413 times)

I need some detailed information for the DGX 670
« on: July 19, 2021, 12:21:58 AM »
I couldn’t find the voice TranceBass I’m curious did Yamaha put it in it. I had it on my flash drive and tested it on the instrument and it sounded just like the correct sound. I’m curious did Yamaha did a flaw in the voices or I’m I hearing a Gm voice that sounds the same. Can someone give me an idea please and thanks 😊

Re: I need some detailed information for the DGX 670
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:25:01 AM »
Also when I used a style that had that voice in the ots it showed up on the main display built when I go see it in the list it dose not show up

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:12:20 AM »
Hi Keyboard Master,

The voice "TranceBass" has the voice address [MSB-LSB-PC (1-128)] "104-9-39" and is available, for example, on the SX600 / 700/900 in the voice folder "Bass" and on Tyros5 and Genos in the voice folder "Legacy> Bass".

According to the voice list in the DATA LIST, this voice is not available on the DGX-670. The only Synth voices in bank "104-9" are "DancyHook" (104-9-82) and "PercSeqHipa" (104-9-88) in the voice folder "Synt & Pad".

ProgramChange 39 (counting 1-128) is used by many Bass voices (in other banks) according to the Data List. However, there are also many Bass voices with a different PC number.

If not haven't already, you can download the DGX-670 Data List here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-670/downloads.html#product-tabs

The DGX-670 (like all Yamaha arranger keyboards) tries to select a voice that is as similar as possible when a voice is requested that is not available on the instrument.

"Just for fun" you could search the Voice List in the DATA LIST (with the search function of your PDF reader program on the computer) for the PC value 39, note the voice names and the voice folder of all possible Bass voices and then these on the DGX-670 for testing. (Don't forget to search the Legacy and GM & XG voice folders as well.

Another option would be:

- Load an OTS or a user voice file from the USB stick with which this voice is to be called up.

- Make sure to only activate the keyboard part that plays this voice (Main or Layer).

- Play some notes, record this with the MIDI recorder and save the MIDI file on the USB stick.

- Since the DGX does not have a "Step Edit" function in the Song Creator, you have to analyze the MIDI file on the computer:

- Connect the USB stick to the PC, open the MIDI file in the program "MixMaster" and click on the button "Voices View".

- On channel 1 (= main) or channel 2 (= layer) you can now see the voice address of the voice actually used by the DGX. Please note that the ProgramChange (the last three digits of the voice address in square brackets) is counted from 0 - 127. The address of the original voice "TranceBass" would be displayed in MixMaster with "[104 009 038]". (See also the attached picture.)

- If a different voice address is displayed in MixMaster than the one just mentioned, increase the ProgramChange value by 1 and make a note of this voice address,

- You can now search for this voice address in the DGX-670 DATA LIST. To do this, enter the address WITHOUT the leading zeros in the search field of your PDF reader on the PC, separated by spaces, e.g. "104 9 82" (WITHOUT quotation marks!).

If the above is too much effort for you, you could alternatively upload the recorded MIDI file to a file hosting service (e.g. box.com) and then link it here for download. Then other forum members can take a closer look at this MIDI file. :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:15:06 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Keyboard Master

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »
Chris. That's very informative, your Yamaha knowledge is excellent Thank you.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
Wow very detailed information thanks 😊

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
Thanks for your kind feedback, Graham and Keyboard Master! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »
Yeah, Chris has been doing a great job!

BTW, if I understand the first post correctly, you have the TranceBass voice file on the USB drive?

Yamaha voice files are MIDI files in disguise. Change the file extension to ".mid" and you can examine the voice file in a DAW.

The voice files contain their own Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB and Program Change messages. The rest of the stuff changes brightness (cutoff), etc. The DGX may be substituting a different voice for the voice in the vce file.

Fun, fun, fun -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
Hi Keyboard Master,

I forgot to mention that you can load a User Voice file directly into MixMaster (without changing the file extension to ".mid").

But in the present case this probably wouldn't help as you would only see the original voice address. As suggested above, if you first record a short MIDI file of this voice and then examine the MIDI file in MixMaster (or a DAW) on the PC, you should be able to figure out by which voice the original voice is substituted on the DGX670.

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 02:55:56 AM »
Hi everyone back to yhis topic. I recorded a Midi File that uses TranceBass, I played some random noyes so you all can try to see what the DGX670 was really using. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qRM4UedcdR_u1moX882X6zTZSgausQ7Z/view?usp=sharing