Author Topic: PSR SX600 Keyboard split problem  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Saintade

PSR SX600 Keyboard split problem
« on: July 18, 2021, 01:57:21 PM »
Hi, newbie here with a PSR SX600 (I also have an MX61).
The manual is not very easy to follow, so I've been following You Tube videos in the main, but I can't figure out an issue with freehand playing when splitting the keyboard.
I basically want one voice in the left and another in the right, but when I follow the instructions, I can split the keys ok at any place, but the left hand basically goes up an octave, whereas I want the normal keys.
Am I missing something? Can someone please give me a step by step solution as it's being doing my head in!

Also, I'm not really getting the Playlist function either...is there a way of just getting all my banks into one playlist and then seeing them on screen so I can jump to any one when performing live?

Thanks!
Ade

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR SX600 Keyboard split problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
Hi, newbie here with a PSR SX600 (I also have an MX61).
The manual is not very easy to follow, so I've been following You Tube videos in the main, but I can't figure out an issue with freehand playing when splitting the keyboard.
I basically want one voice in the left and another in the right, but when I follow the instructions, I can split the keys ok at any place, but the left hand basically goes up an octave, whereas I want the normal keys.
Am I missing something? Can someone please give me a step by step solution as it's being doing my head in!

Also, I'm not really getting the Playlist function either...is there a way of just getting all my banks into one playlist and then seeing them on screen so I can jump to any one when performing live?

Ade,

You really should have put these in two different posts, as you're going to get responses on one or the other, and the thread will be difficult to follow.

Regarding the Playlist, yes, you can create a Playlist of all your registration banks, but why bother? Just go directly to your registrations if you want all of them.

To learn how great Playlists are, start by creating one. Go to Playlist, press the Create icon (the one with the +). Now search for specific registration banks, and add one to your Playlist. Do this three or four times, then save the Playlist. Now load the Playlist (tap the name at the top). You can then go through the songs in order, or randomly load them. You'll catch on pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Saintade

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Thanks Fred, and a telling off on my first post!  ;)
Hi

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
Thanks Fred, and a telling off on my first post!  ;)
Hi

Just trying to be helpful so you can get the help you’re looking for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online overover

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 07:46:15 PM »
Hi, newbie here with a PSR SX600 ...
Am I missing something? Can someone please give me a step by step solution as it's being doing my head in! ...

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Ade!

If you haven't already done so, you should first download all three manuals (Owner's Manual, Reference Manual and Data List) from the SX600 download page:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx600/downloads.html#product-tabs

Method 1:
With the SX600, the Octave range of the keyboard parts can be set in the "Voice Set" display. You can find important information on this in the SX600 Reference Manual in the chapter "Editing Voices (Voice Set)" on pages 13/14. (See also the first attached picture.)

1. Select the Voice to be edited.
2. In the Voice Selection display, press the lower [5] button (= Voice Set) to call up the Voice Set display.
3. In the "Common" tab, make sure "1 Volume/Touch Sense/Part Octave" is selected. Use the [5] buttons to set the Part Octave for LEFT, and/or use the [6] buttons to set the Part Octave for RIGHT 1/2.

You can save these settings as a so-called "User Voice", i.e. just here in the Voice Set display via "Save" (lower [8] button). Since User Voice files are very small, you can, if desired, save them in the internal User drive (which is only about 20MB in size on the SX600).

Alternatively, you can save the current Voice Set settings directly to Registrations or directly to OTS. In the case of Registrations, please remember to save the relevant Registration BANK as well. And if you change the OTS of a Style, you have to save this STYLE again (as a User Style in the internal User drive or, better, on a USB stick).

Method 2:
You can also use the "Voice Setting" display to adjust the Part Octave. You can find important information on this in the SX600 Reference Manual in the chapter "Adjusting the Pitch for the Parts" on page 8. (See also the second attached picture.)

1. Go to [MENU] > Menu1 > Voice Setting > Tune tab.
2. Select the line "2 Octave" and adjust the Octave of the LEFT, RIGHT 1 and RIGHT 2 as desired.

The settings can be saved as described above.

Note: In order for the LEFT Voice settings to be saved in Registrations, the checkmark "STYLE" must be set in the Memory window. The settings for the RIGHT 1/2 Voices, on the other hand, are saved in Registrations with the checkmark "VOICE".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:29:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)