Author Topic: A great portable personal monitor speaker for Genos  (Read 3118 times)

Offline svpworld

A great portable personal monitor speaker for Genos
« on: July 17, 2021, 11:04:32 PM »
I thought I would share my experience of finding a small, light, good sounding portal speaker system I could take around to practices with my Genos and as a personal foldback monitor for when I'm performing in church with Genos.
I have started performing at our church with Genos, previously prior to Covid I used a Yamaha PSR-S900.  Due to the current restrictions of where I can be seated along with our singers, I am actually inside a side chapel so somewhat distanced from the congregation and to the side of the main altar.  Although I can place my main PA speakers (Yamaha Stagepas 150 amplified speakers on stands), these are facing away from me and the rest of the folk group/singers, so the foldback sound isn't great.  I didn't want to carry another large speaker system with me for monitoring, as I can hear some of the bottom end from the main speakers, but I needed a clean and powerful sound that would cut over the singers and acoustic guitars next to me, so we could all hear my performance.  I also needed something I could easily take with me to another home or place for practising with Genos.
I looked at many options, such as small amplified keyboard amplifiers, large bluetooth speakers with line inputs, however in the end I settled on the IK multimedia iLoud unit.  This is a high quality and very powerful bluetooth portable stereo speaker, about the size of an iPad and just a couple of inches thick.  It can deliver an outstanding 40W of undistorted power, either from its built in rechargeable battery which can last up to 10 hrs, or using the included power supply.  The speaker unit is pretty simple and unassuming, it has 2 mini woofers and 2 tweeters plus a bass reflex port.  Given the size I was very sceptical as to the sound quality, but it is truly amazing, especially if placed on a solid surface and reasonably close to a solid wall.  It's not cheap though, I paid around £200 here in the UK, but the audio quality is far superior to many other popular top brand portable speakers. It has a very clear and detailed presence, excellent top end and most importantly a controlled solid bass - not over bassy or boomy like so many other units.  It has just a large volume control on the front, surrounded by an LED illuminated ring.  This is actually handy during performance, because one of the only 'downsides' of this unit is it has a sleep mode. If no audio is input to the speaker within about 10 minutes, the speaker will go into standby and the LED ring starts to pulsate.  However as soon as it receives audio, or you touch the volume control, it will come back on (although if you rely on just audio it can take a couple of seconds).  To combat this when there's a long pause between hymns in our service, I'll just touch the volume control just before we play if I notice the LED ring is pulsating. 
Audio input is either via bluetooth, a 3.5mm stereo line in jack or there's a facility to feed instruments or a mic via a 1/4inch jack into your smartphone and process it using the iRig software (I do not use this feature as it's more intended for guitars).  The 3.5mm stereo line in jack is fine for my use and I either connect the tape monitor outputs from the main PA speaker system to this, or if I'm practising with just Genos the main left and right outputs from Genos.  It's also possible of course to use the aux outputs of Genos to feed into the speaker, however these are fixed level from Genos meaning you have to adjust the overall volume on the speaker itself.
Overall I am extremely impressed at the iLoud.  I've got the matching carry bag for it which is great and houses the power supply, speaker and some extra cables.  Whilst iLoud won't shake the floor with gut wrenching bass, it does deliver a superb solid sound with plenty of detail and top end, sufficient bass and depth without any distortion and at amazing volume levels. 
I definitely recommend trying it out if you are in the market for something similar.  Most small practice amps intended for musical instruments tend to be mono, or just have a single speaker unit and have a rather raucious harsh sound.  iLoud has a more HiFi sound AND it is designed to be used by musicians!

Regards
Simon

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Mike W, Ryszard Bieszczad, MadrasGiaguari

Offline sunny

Re: A great portable personal monitor speaker for Genos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
Hi Simon,
          How this speaker sound when compared to Yamaha GNS MS01 speaker system ? At present i am using GNS MS01 in the church,the sound is ok but volume is very less and it's very delicate and not easy to set up.

Thanks,
Sunny

Offline svpworld

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »
I haven't heard the Genos MS01 system, but many years ago I had the Tyros and MS01 speakers.  At the time I seem to recall they were not very loud and the upper midrange was lacking, the sound was mainly upper bass and some top end.  I would stick my neck out though and say the iLoud has a much better presence and definition to the sound, and bass whilst not floor shaking is cleaner and more controlled.  Playing through it from my Genos at home with the speaker at ear level and sat on a solid surface (about 2ft from a wall), I was impressed at the definition, power and solid sound from Genos.  There was enough low end to enjoy and despite this being a small speaker with little separation between the L and R channels, it delivered a pretty good soundstage from a distance.  It's certainly a lot easier to transport that the Genos MS01 speakers and you can use it on a lot more sources, including Bluetooth.  The only downside of course is you won't get the same stereo separation and sound stage as with the wider satellite speakers of the MS01 system.

DrKewel

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »
I like the Yamaha THR30II Wireless.   About $400 for the 30 watt.   It has a lot of functions and can be run into the mixer.  it is Bluetooth, wireless, has a Phones and AUX 1/4" inch jack.
I also use it as my portable guitar amp.   Impressive sound for a unit the size of a large toaster.

Offline sunny

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 05:57:11 AM »
I like the Yamaha THR30II Wireless.   About $400 for the 30 watt.   It has a lot of functions and can be run into the mixer.  it is Bluetooth, wireless, has a Phones and AUX 1/4" inch jack.
I also use it as my portable guitar amp.   Impressive sound for a unit the size of a large toaster.

Can we connect Genos through wireless ?

Sunny

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
Hi
I would go for a couple of Yamaha DXR 8's or equivilent updates £900 a pair, 100Watts self active and a couple of stands . Each one not that heavy and also has a built in carry handle on top of each one . The quality is fantastic, not like the yamaha speakers with battery wires  and a boom box at £300. Waste of money
Would take seconds to set up, Good for small halls even a party.
The speakers are built like a tank and have a long warrantee.
I have these at home for playing and these will last longer than the next two or three Genos's, so all in all cheaper in the long run.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:28:56 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

louwe46

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »
Best ,
I bought 2x Yamaha Stagepas K1, and I have to say it sounds great.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
Can we connect Genos through wireless ?

Sunny
Depends what you mean. Connect to what, for what? Wireless is a very generic term. There are nearly always ways to connect things wirelessly, but they can be simple or elaborate, and work well or badly, depending on what you want to do. So specifics are needed to provide advice. For example the Genos can use wifi to connect to a computer, but if you are talking about outputting sound wirelessly that's very different.
A common specific question relating to wireless is 'can I use bluetooth headphones or speakers with Genos'.  The answer is technically yes but ....a) Its not built-in to Genos so you need to buy a suitable bluetooth transmitting device ....and b) it will not work well for live playing because there is excessive built in processing delay with bluetooth that makes it almost impossible to play.
Mike

Offline svpworld

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:49:42 AM »
I think this thread is beginning to go off topic.  I was describing a 'personal monitor' speaker that can be used to provide enhanced feedback when playing Genos with external speakers that are facing away or at a distance from the player.  I agree there are many great options for a main PA speaker system, however in this situation it's about having something small and practical close to you when you are playing into a remote PA system.  :)

Simon

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »
Simon, I think you sent people off on the wrong track. To be honest I missed it myself until I looked up the product.  Now I get it.
You should have started with a very clear statement like 'I just acquired and Iloud speaker which is hardly the size and weight of an iPad yet sounds much louder and higher quality than much bigger products. It works brilliantly'.
In all honesty this essence got lost in your quite lengthy description. 

Offline music by allen

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
I'm sorry, but I read Simons post and I found his situation at church and his solution to his problem very clear and concise. 

I also found his description of the Iloud speaker very in formative. I think he found a very good solution.

Thankyou Simon.

Allen

Offline jugge

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »
I thought I would share my experience of finding a small, light, good sounding portal speaker system I could take around to practices with my Genos and as a personal foldback monitor for when I'm performing in church with Genos.
I have started performing at our church with Genos, previously prior to Covid I used a Yamaha PSR-S900.  Due to the current restrictions of where I can be seated along with our singers, I am actually inside a side chapel so somewhat distanced from the congregation and to the side of the main altar.  Although I can place my main PA speakers (Yamaha Stagepas 150 amplified speakers on stands), these are facing away from me and the rest of the folk group/singers, so the foldback sound isn't great.  I didn't want to carry another large speaker system with me for monitoring, as I can hear some of the bottom end from the main speakers, but I needed a clean and powerful sound that would cut over the singers and acoustic guitars next to me, so we could all hear my performance.  I also needed something I could easily take with me to another home or place for practising with Genos.
I looked at many options, such as small amplified keyboard amplifiers, large bluetooth speakers with line inputs, however in the end I settled on the IK multimedia iLoud unit.  This is a high quality and very powerful bluetooth portable stereo speaker, about the size of an iPad and just a couple of inches thick.  It can deliver an outstanding 40W of undistorted power, either from its built in rechargeable battery which can last up to 10 hrs, or using the included power supply.  The speaker unit is pretty simple and unassuming, it has 2 mini woofers and 2 tweeters plus a bass reflex port.  Given the size I was very sceptical as to the sound quality, but it is truly amazing, especially if placed on a solid surface and reasonably close to a solid wall.  It's not cheap though, I paid around £200 here in the UK, but the audio quality is far superior to many other popular top brand portable speakers. It has a very clear and detailed presence, excellent top end and most importantly a controlled solid bass - not over bassy or boomy like so many other units.  It has just a large volume control on the front, surrounded by an LED illuminated ring.  This is actually handy during performance, because one of the only 'downsides' of this unit is it has a sleep mode. If no audio is input to the speaker within about 10 minutes, the speaker will go into standby and the LED ring starts to pulsate.  However as soon as it receives audio, or you touch the volume control, it will come back on (although if you rely on just audio it can take a couple of seconds).  To combat this when there's a long pause between hymns in our service, I'll just touch the volume control just before we play if I notice the LED ring is pulsating. 
Audio input is either via bluetooth, a 3.5mm stereo line in jack or there's a facility to feed instruments or a mic via a 1/4inch jack into your smartphone and process it using the iRig software (I do not use this feature as it's more intended for guitars).  The 3.5mm stereo line in jack is fine for my use and I either connect the tape monitor outputs from the main PA speaker system to this, or if I'm practising with just Genos the main left and right outputs from Genos.  It's also possible of course to use the aux outputs of Genos to feed into the speaker, however these are fixed level from Genos meaning you have to adjust the overall volume on the speaker itself.
Overall I am extremely impressed at the iLoud.  I've got the matching carry bag for it which is great and houses the power supply, speaker and some extra cables.  Whilst iLoud won't shake the floor with gut wrenching bass, it does deliver a superb solid sound with plenty of detail and top end, sufficient bass and depth without any distortion and at amazing volume levels. 
I definitely recommend trying it out if you are in the market for something similar.  Most small practice amps intended for musical instruments tend to be mono, or just have a single speaker unit and have a rather raucious harsh sound.  iLoud has a more HiFi sound AND it is designed to be used by musicians!

Regards
Simon

I've been using iLoud micro monitors for a couple of years and they have worked very well despite its small footprint. I just completed the speakers with a  Presonus Eris Subwoofer - https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_sub8.htm I am very impressed how this subwoofer perform and what you can get today for $200. I am using a 25% of the volume on the subwoofer and it's plenty of bass for my small room.
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw