Author Topic: active speakers  (Read 2489 times)

jcl123

active speakers
« on: July 14, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
settings for active speakers

I have recently purchased vonyx 400w active speakers  but do not appear to be able to set them up with the same clarity
as I can hear when using headphones.

if I plug in and play on my roland workstation they play perfect so my question is what are the settings I need to adjust on the
t5. when the speakers are connected line in and the t5 to line out I get no sound when t5 is plugged in main I do get sound
but distorted tried playing with settings in mixer but no success.

thanks jcl

Offline overover

Re: active speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi jcl,

which Vonyx speakers do you have exactly (model number)?

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

jcl123

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
VPS082A- 8INCH- 400WATT

Thanks Chris

regards Fred

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 07:03:50 AM »
Hi Fred,

I had "feared" that your case was the "Vonyx VPS082A" model. Unfortunately, this speaker system is not ideal for connecting a keyboard. It is actually a "karaoke machine".

The two inputs MIC 1 and MIC 2 are intended for connecting dynamic microphones. Since there is no GAIN control, these inputs will be distorted when connecting signals with line level (such as a keyboard). One possibility would be to turn up the Master Volume dial on the keyboard just a little.

The correct method, however, is to connect the keyboard to the "AUX IN" jacks. For this you need two cables "6.3 mm TS jack plug to RCA plug":

There is no separate volume control for AUX IN. Therefore you have to control the volume with MASTER VOLUME (and with the Master Volume dial on the keyboard).

I have not yet found any information on the internet as to whether the VPS082A speaker system is Stereo or Mono. If you can already hear something on both speakers when using only one of the two AUX IN sockets, it is a Mono system. Then you can leave out the second audio cable, and you just use the Mono line output socket "L/L+R" on the keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:17:36 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

jcl123

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »
thanks Chris

before I purchased these I sent a link to the sales guy with all the info of the keyboard and told him the pages to look at
for connections and specifications he said they should be fine but I would need he cable you have suggested I bought that cable from him as well and he said to connect it to line outs on the keyboard.
I didn't get any sound from line out connection so atm I am connected to main, works but the clarity isn't how it should be
so I will now try the aux connection and see how I get on. would there be any settings on the T5 I could either in utility or the
mixing console that I would need to change.
what surprises me is they work fine on my roland g800 just plug in and play but not the T5.
thanks for your help
Fred

jcl123

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:09:21 PM »
no sound at all Chris when plugged into aux can get sound on sub 3,4 aux but no volume adjustments either with  speakers or T5
regards Fred. This was the reply I got when enquiring if these speakers with the T5.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact,

Yes it would be possible to connect your keyboard to these speakers, all you would require is the following cable/s:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154503007272?epid=7007749057&hash=item23f918cc28:g:tkIAAOSwSctg0kdp

The 6.35mm Jack connections would connect from the Line Output connections on your keyboard, whilst the RCA/Phono connections would go into the red/white inputs on the back of the main speaker.

Kind regards,
Jamie

ElectroXtra

Destiny Entertainments Ltd T/A ElectroXtra

Regards Fred

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 09:04:37 PM »
Hi Fred,

You probably only used the "wrong" sockets on the T5: You should use the "Line Out MAIN  R and L/L+R" sockets on the Tyros5 (i.e. NOT the "Line Out SUB" or "Aux Out" sockets, and of course NOT the "Aux In" sockets). See the first attached picture!

First of all, however, please check the Line Out Settings (MIXING CONSOLE > Tab LINE OUT). Make sure that all Parts resp. Drum Instruments (scroll down using button #1!) are checked in the FIRST column on both pages (PANEL and DRUM & PERC.). See the second attached picture!

Regarding Tyros5 Master EQ:
I recommend using either the Master EQ preset "Flat" or "Line Out". The preset "TRS-MS05" is intended for the original T5 loudspeakers and is not ideal for other / larger external speakers. In principle, however, it has to work with any master EQ settings.

You can also select multiple EQ presets on your speaker system (using the remote control). Just use the EQ combination that you like best. In the T5 Master EQ you can, if necessary, based on the currently set preset, make further EQ settings (and save as a User EQ type if desired).

Now it should work as expected. :)

P.S.
Normally you should turn up the Master Volume on the Tyros5 at least half way (12 o'clock). If you have a distorted sound through the speakers, reduce the master volume on the Tyros5. If the sound is ok, you can turn up the Tyros5 even louder if necessary.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:21:17 PM by overover »

jcl123

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »
Thanks for trying to help Chris
I have tried those settings on main but still distorted, so tried what you suggested in your earlier post,
2 phono from speaker  to one phono  L/L+R Main both speakers came on and I could use the volume on the t5
up or down but poor clarity so I think your correct they are mono speakers so not really compatible for t5.
so reboxed and on their way back to where they came from next week.

quick question will the t5 work with active speakers and if so which are compatible, I've got 2 bang and olufsen pentab speakers
that connect to my bang and olufsen equipment there is a line jack connection on those and they are in the same room as my keyboards  https://beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=808

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
Just try it! They should work.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 11:51:23 PM »
Hey there Fred,

What was your intent with PA type speakers? Playing for an audience somewhere or just at home? If you do end up sending these speakers back, but still would like to get another set, perhaps let us know how you intend use them so some suggestions can be made. Let us know your budget as well.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 05:38:10 AM »
Thanks for trying to help Chris
I have tried those settings on main but still distorted, so tried what you suggested in your earlier post,
2 phono from speaker  to one phono  L/L+R Main both speakers came on and I could use the volume on the t5
up or down but poor clarity so I think your correct they are mono speakers so not really compatible for t5.
so reboxed and on their way back to where they came from next week.

quick question will the t5 work with active speakers and if so which are compatible, I've got 2 bang and olufsen pentab speakers
that connect to my bang and olufsen equipment there is a line jack connection on those and they are in the same room as my keyboards  https://beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=808

Hi Fred,

In principle, you can use any speaker system with line level inputs.

It should be noted that RCA line inputs are usually designed for lower levels than professional jack or XLR line inputs. When connecting to RCA line inputs, you may have to turn down the master volume on the keyboard a little to avoid distortion.

By the way, all output sockets on the Tyros5 are unbalanced, i.e. you have to use TS jack plugs. Balanced TRS jack cables are not suitable. This is especially important when connecting to balanced XLR inputs. An unbalanced "TS jack plug to XLR plug" cable must be used here. (A balanced "TRS jack plug to XLR plug" cable would NOT be suitable.)

Please be very careful when connecting a keyboard to HiFi speakers. In contrast to commercially produced music (e.g. CDs, MP3s) extreme dynamic jumps can occur with a keyboard, and many HiFi speakers have already been destroyed as a result!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:41:02 AM by overover »

jcl123

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
thanks Mark

home use, I thought the speakers I bought would have been sufficient and they were quite reasonable at £140

regards Fred

jcl123

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 05:57:32 PM »
thanks Chris
yes that what I was worried about those speakers I mentioned were quite expensive when i bought them
so I don't really want to take any chances on breaking them.

the guy I bought vonyx speakers from has assured me there is no problem returning them I have 60 days to do that
so might have another play with them see if I can get them working properly.

regards Fred