Author Topic: Does anyone know about the PSR E-473 Yet.  (Read 31247 times)

Offline vbdx66

Re: Does anyone know about the PSR E-473 Yet.
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2022, 07:48:28 AM »
I,m glad. The wait is finally over. I/m curious if it can play Sff2 styles
Nope. Otherwise it would overlap with the PSR SX600.

But there is a goodie: now you can revoice the styles and store the result into a reg slot. Wished Casio would have done the same for the new Casiotones.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
Yes I am so glad at least we can revioce a style as that feature is the first on the psr e range. Oh i wonder if they added a voice demo feture.

Online pjd

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2022, 05:34:45 PM »
Yamaha: "SFF GE (Guitar Edition) is an enhanced format of SFF, which features improved note transposition for guitar tracks."

SFF2 is SFF GE. SFF GE has some trickery for handling guitar chord voicing. Perhaps more importantly, it can handle Mega Voice guitars (and other Mega Voice instruments).

When Yamaha added Mega Voice to the DGX (DGX-670), they also added SFF GE (SFF2) capability.

Since Yamaha have not added Mega Voice to the E-series, they don't have much motivation to add SFF GE to the E-series.

That's my simplistic take, anyway.  :D

-- pj
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:38:45 PM by pjd »

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2022, 04:57:27 AM »
Cool. And at least Im glad that we can revoice the styles. Making it more fun to enjoy.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2022, 11:30:58 AM »
Nope. Otherwise it would overlap with the PSR SX600.

But there is a goodie: now you can revoice the styles and store the result into a reg slot. Wished Casio would have done the same for the new Casiotones.

When you say "revoice the styles", what do you mean?  It sounds like the ability to change the voices/instruments of the different tracks of a style, but I don't see anything in the manual for the E473/EW425 about that.  All that I see that can be saved to a registration, as far as styles go, are normal things, such as style volume, tempo, and which tracks/parts are active.

On a different note, a kind of bizarre auto-accompaniment feature of the new keyboards is something called "smart chord."  How it works is that you go into the function menu to select an option to tell the keyboard the key of the song you will be playing by how many sharps or flats the key has.  So, if you're going to be playing a song in Bb major, you'd select two flats.  Then, with smart chord switched on, what I believe happens is that all you have to do is hit one note for the background -- the root note of the chord you want -- and then the keyboard will determine whether to play a major or minor chord based on that note.  So, for Bb major, if you hit a Bb or an Eb, you'd get a major chord, whereas if you hit a G or a C, you'd get a minor chord, because those are the natural chords for that key.  For example, since the key of Bb has a Bb and an Eb in the key signature, when you play a G chord in that key with no accidentals, you wouldn't play G-B-D for G major, you'd play G-Bb-D for G minor, because the key signature flats the B.  And I guess if you play an A, you'd get an A diminished chord.

Of course, this is for really basic song playing, as major limitations could come up, because plenty of songs do have chords with accidentals that this system would not recognize, and you have to go into the function menu and change the key signature (number of sharps or flats) each time you play a song in a different key than the one you just played.  This can all be saved to a registration, however.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
Hi Bob,

It seems you didn’t do your homework LoL ;D

Go have a look at page 13 of the reference manual for the E473/EW425 here:

https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/1544203/psre473_en_rm_a0.pdf

You can now revoice all tracks of a given style and store this into a registration. Pretty cool. Together with the tracks enabling/disabling buttons, this will give more style flexibility. I am happy about this because usually I hate the default bass sound of the styles on all PSR E keyboards.

As for chord recognition, the so-called smart chord function is just a gimmick really. I’d rather have Yamaha implementing on bass and full keyboard chord recognition, which Casio has long had even on its cheapest home keyboards. This would probably be my main issue aside of pure sound quality if I had to choose between the PSR E473 and the CT-S500 or 1000V.

Regards,

Vinciane

The following users thanked this post: SciNote

Online pjd

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »
PSS-E30 and PSS-F30 have Smart Chord, too. This messes me up whenever I play the kid's E30!  :)

It's easier to re-voice non-Mega Voice styles. The effect notes up in the nose bleed section (above C6) drive people crazy when they re-voice a Mega Voice style track to a non-Mega Voice. ("What are those strange noises/notes that I hear?")

I guess one should wallow in the joy of E-series simplicity...  :)

Nice day to everyone -- pj

Online pjd

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
Just got back from Guitar Center. Friday morning and the store is empty. No Steve Vai wannabe shredding, etc.  8)

None of the new keyboards were available, so I played a CT-S1 and CT-S410 and did kind of a mind-meld between the tones on the two keyboards. Speaker systems were both good enough, keybed felt good and both instruments are amazingly light.

Well, well, the entry-level market has gotten very competitive! Tough choices vs. the new E473 and EW425.

-- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2022, 01:16:45 AM »
Hi Bob,

It seems you didn’t do your homework LoL ;D

Go have a look at page 13 of the reference manual for the E473/EW425 here:

https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/1544203/psre473_en_rm_a0.pdf

You can now revoice all tracks of a given style and store this into a registration. Pretty cool. Together with the tracks enabling/disabling buttons, this will give more style flexibility. I am happy about this because usually I hate the default bass sound of the styles on all PSR E keyboards.

As for chord recognition, the so-called smart chord function is just a gimmick really. I’d rather have Yamaha implementing on bass and full keyboard chord recognition, which Casio has long had even on its cheapest home keyboards. This would probably be my main issue aside of pure sound quality if I had to choose between the PSR E473 and the CT-S500 or 1000V.

Regards,

Vinciane

Great Scott!  How could Yamaha not make any mention of that in the main manual?!  That is a really nice feature for this level of keyboard.  Honestly, I don't think I would ever use it, because I mainly just use the styles for the drums, and I mainly use the registrations just for sounds, not styles.  But I could see how this could be very useful.  I believe my old PSR-520 had a similar feature, but if so, I never used it on that keyboard, either.  I haven't had that keyboard in years, so I cannot verify that one way or the other without finding the manual.

If I were to buy any of these new keyboards, I'm really starting to lean away from the Casios at this point.  The fact that you cannot have the registration buttons and style control buttons available at the same time would make it cumbersome to play the keyboard live.  And if it is the case, as it appears to be in the manual, that the actual value settings of the filter, envelope generator and other knob parameters cannot be saved in a registration or any other way, then that is a deal-breaker for me, right there.  I'll have to just see one of those keyboards in person, or just join the Casio Music Forums site like Vinciane said and ask someone there.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2022, 03:22:32 AM »
@PJ: interesting. If the CT-S1 and 410 are nice, then the CT-S500 and 1000V will be even better  :)
By the way, has anybody a clue about the difference between the CT-S 400 and 410?

@Bob: too bad, homework not done once more!: On page 33 of the User Manual it reads: This instrument allows you to change the Voices that are used in each track of a Style, such as drums and phrases. For details, refer to the Reference Manual on the website (page 11).

And: I agree with both of you, it’ll be a tough choice.

As for style revoicing, I am wondering whether this applies to user styles, too… because this means that it’ll be possible to remap the SFF1 styles found here with the correct voices on the PSR E473/EW425. This is pretty cool because you can then use the nicer panel voices for the styles instead of the pretty boring XG lite default voice set.

As for the real time control knobs on the CT-Ss, there is some logic there. They are really meant to be used as real time controller, so this is quite logical that you can’t store the corresponding parameter values in registration slots. That being said, the effects can still be tweaked to one’s liking via the menu, then stored in a registration slot.

And the CTSs have other advantages: the ability to melodically assign a sample to the keyboard range, as well as the chord detection mode, which is much more sophisticated than on the Yamaha E series.

On the other hand, on the E473/EW425, the arpeggios can be quantised… a really pro feature.

On the paper, I am really tempted by the Yamaha’s. But I find that sound-wise, the Casio’s are better with the AiX chip. And I really like their chord detection system.

So, yes, the best option would be to try theses keyboards out in a music shop. Or else, order one online, you can always return it if you don’t like it.

Isn’t life beautiful?  8)

Regards,

Vinciane

Offline SciNote

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »
Okay, now I see it -- one little paragraph at the bottom of page 33 does mention the style revoicing, and I did miss that.  You'd still think they'd go into more detail about how to implement that feature in the main manual.  And when going to the section on registrations, for what is stored related to styles, this is what it says:

Style settings: Style number, ACMP on/off, Style vol-
ume, Track on/off, Main section A/B, Tempo, Fingering
type, Smart chord key

Nothing about style revoicing or instrumentation.  But it's good to see such a feature on these keyboards.

I wonder if you'll be able to tell the E473/EW425 whether to save a style in a registration or not.  And I'm not talking about the freeze function, but it is similar.  On the previous keyboards, if you hit the "song" button before setting up and saving a registration, then you will not save any style data to the registration, which is how to implement a freeze on keyboards such as my E433.  Since no style data is saved to the registration, then the currently-playing style will not be changed when that registration is called up.

The freeze function on the E473/EW425 accomplishes that, but with the revoicing options, it might still be nice to have this ability to apply this sort of freeze to individual registrations.  Why?  Well, let's say you set up a few registrations with custom revoiced styles -- remember that revoiced styles will not be memorized in the keyboard unless you save them to a registration.  If you want to recall those revoiced styles, then obviously, you need to have style-freeze turned off when calling up the registrations with your custom styles.  But now, with style-freeze turned off, if you want to call up other registrations to change the sound while playing those custom styles, then the concern is that calling up those other registrations for the sounds, will also call up the style information stored in those registrations, which would then stop your custom style from playing.  Whereas if you can tell the other registrations (the ones where you only want voice information) to not save style data (like what can be done on the older models), then you can have a few registrations with your custom revoiced styles to use to call up those styles, and then call up just voice settings with the other registrations while using your custom styles.

Otherwise, to accomplish this, you'd have to have style-freeze turned off to call up the registrations with your custom styles, and then turn on style-freeze before you start playing a song -- and then do the same thing again every time you want to use another registration with a custom revoiced style.
Bob

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2022, 07:00:02 AM »
Oh one thing I am also curious about is when loading styles onto the new psr e473 did Yamaha increase the style file size limit or is it still 50kb. I was curious 😎

Offline overover

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2022, 12:06:14 PM »
Oh one thing I am also curious about is when loading styles onto the new psr e473 did Yamaha increase the style file size limit or is it still 50kb. I was curious 😎

The size of style files is still limited to a maximum of 50 KB (kilobytes).

Quote from the E473/EW425 Owner's Manual, page 55:

The maximum size of a single Style file is 50 KB. Files that
exceed this limit will not be recognized by the instrument.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2022, 11:56:43 PM »
Oh ok. Thanks.

Online pjd

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2022, 01:06:05 AM »
OK, I caved and bought a CT-S1000V.  :D  I sacrificed the SHS-500 Sonogenic as it didn't really fit my original purpose. The guys at the store were having a blast with it when I left!

No I'm not abandoning Yamaha nor am I planning to post how much better my keyboard is.  :)

Much to try and learn as a lot of the functionality is down in the menu tree somewhere...

All the best -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2022, 04:05:18 AM »
OK, I caved and bought a CT-S1000V.  :D  I sacrificed the SHS-500 Sonogenic as it didn't really fit my original purpose. The guys at the store were having a blast with it when I left!

No I'm not abandoning Yamaha nor am I planning to post how much better my keyboard is.  :)

Much to try and learn as a lot of the functionality is down in the menu tree somewhere...

All the best -- pj

Sounds great!  Let us know how well it works and how the key-feel is.  And if you get a chance, please test out whether you can save knob changes to a registration.  Basically, just take one of the sounds, then make some obvious changes to the sound with the filter and/or envelope generator with the knobs (of course, you have to first assign the knobs to those functions) -- changes dramatic enough that there would be no way you could mistake your new sound for the original sound that you selected.  Then, just save that sound to a registration.  Next, just to make sure everything is cleared, call up a different registration, then call up the registration you saved with your new sound -- then test it out.  Does it sound like the dramatically different sound you just created with the filter and/or envelope generator?  Or does it just sound like the original sound, with no filter or envelope changes?

I did join the Casio forum as suggested by Vinciane, and I posed this question.  I was told that the changes are saved to the registration, but I'm still curious, as those functions are not listed in the manual as to what is saved in a registration.  But then again, with the Yamaha PSR-E473 and EW425, the section of the manual that lists the parameters that can be saved to a registration does not list style revoicings, even though those are saved to a registration, based on the reference manual.  So, it could just be something that Casio overlooked in the manual.
Bob

Offline casiokid

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
Am I right in thinking that although you can change Style Parts on the E473 you cannot adjust their individual volume ?

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
@PJ: Cant wait to hear your first impressions  8)

@SciNote:

And if you get a chance, please test out whether you can save knob changes to a registration. 

No need to test, you can. The manual says that clear and loud on page 140 and 141 as well as on page 170. You can save the parameter values that you tweaked with the knobs either in one of the four Setup slots or in one of the reg memory slots.

@Casiokid:

Am I right in thinking that although you can change Style Parts on the E473 you cannot adjust their individual volume ?

You’re right indeed. The only thing you can do is activate or mute a style track you don’t want to hear using the track buttons under the screen. On this website, though, you can find plenty of software software to help you tweak styles to your liking.

Vinciane

Online pjd

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2022, 06:52:06 PM »
Let us know how well it works and how the key-feel is.  And if you get a chance, please test out whether you can save knob changes to a registration.

Hi Bob --

As to trying registrations, not to worry. I have a bunch of split/layer registrations to build and, at the very least, need to dial down reverb, if needed.

Can't wait to hear your first impressions.

Hello Vinciane --

I started writing first impressions and realized that it was too much for a PSR-focused forum. I posted first impressions here:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-first-impressions/

I did join the Casio forum as suggested by Vinciane

I probably should, too, although the last thing I need is another forum.  ;) I started lurking there recently -- enough to know that Vinciane is a star.  ;D

Best to everyone -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2022, 11:50:38 PM »
@PJ: Cant wait to hear your first impressions  8)

@SciNote:

And if you get a chance, please test out whether you can save knob changes to a registration. 

No need to test, you can. The manual says that clear and loud on page 140 and 141 as well as on page 170. You can save the parameter values that you tweaked with the knobs either in one of the four Setup slots or in one of the reg memory slots.

@Casiokid:

You’re right indeed. The only thing you can do is activate or mute a style track you don’t want to hear using the track buttons under the screen. On this website, though, you can find plenty of software software to help you tweak styles to your liking.

Vinciane

I'm looking on pages 140, 141, and 170 of the Casio CTS1000V manual, and I am seeing the same thing that I saw before.  When referring to the knobs, in both places in the manual, it states that what is saved is:

Knob Type (K1, K2, K3)
Knob Effect Part (UPPER1, UPPER2, and LOWER for each of the knobs: K1, K2, K3)
--- the text "for each of the knobs: K1, K2, K3" is omitted in the section on registrations
Knob K1-K2 Link

My understanding of all this is: Knob Type is simply what those knobs are assigned to control (filter cutoff, envelope, modulation, etc), but not the actual values of the parameters you set (similar to the knob-assign function on the PSR-E series).  Knob Effect Part is what part of the keyboard will be affected by the use of the knobs (similar to how the E473/EW425 can set what part of the keyboard is affected by DSP2).  And Knob K1-K2 Link is a program that, when you select a function for K1, the keyboard will automatically select a related function for K2 -- for example, I would imagine that if you have this Link feature on, then if you select filter cutoff for K1, then K2 will automatically be assigned filter resonance, regardless of what it was previously assigned.  What I believe they are describing here is that a registration can store whether you want this Link function on or off.

Please highlight what I might be missing, because while these functions of the knobs can be saved, I still see nothing showing that the actual values/parameters you set with these knobs -- at least for filter and envelope generator -- get saved.  I would not be surprised if it is just an omission in the manual, just like how Yamaha did not list style revoicings in the list of functions stored in registrations in that section of the manual.  I am also having trouble determining the full difference between a registration and a set-up -- I'm sure there are differences, but they seem similar.

As for the E473/EW425, I just realized something a bit disappointing, though not necessarily deal-breaking.  The live control knobs can not be set to change the envelope attack and release!  Now, to be clear, attack and release are still there for the main and dual voice, and it appears that they can be saved to a registration, but you now have to go into the function list to access these parameters, and then you have to adjust them separately for the main and dual voice.  Many times, you'd want different settings for the main and dual voice, anyway, but the ability to change those functions by the knobs during a live performance is a nice feature to have -- and it also helps more quickly dial in the sound you want if you are trying to synthesize a patch.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 11:52:19 PM by SciNote »
Bob

Online pjd

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2022, 12:51:11 AM »
Hi Bob --

I mangled an oboe voice ("tone" in Casio-speak) and it stored/recalled things almost correctly. It stored and recalled the changed cut-off value. What's weird though, is it didn't seem to change the modulation setting (knob 3) when I pulled up another voice. A bug maybe?

Tried making my first split/layer (lower, upper 1 + upper 2). Accidentally overwrote my first try -- whoops! Changing the layer tone and the upper 2 tone seemed a little byzantine. Maybe I'll get used to it. Seems like it won't change the second layer voice unless split is OFF. Weird. Maybe another UI thing that needs refinement?

Actually played a little gospel piano -- which is not really my main instrument (organ). It was more pleasant to play piano on the CT than the MODX. (I detest playing piano on the MODX.)

All the best -- pj

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:52:29 AM by pjd »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2022, 01:19:45 AM »
Good -- glad to see that it does save those filter settings, because that would be a serious shortcoming if it did not.  Not sure what is going on with it not changing the modulation setting when you called up a new sound.  Two things that come to mind...

1.  Is that something that can be "frozen"?  I'm not looking at the manual right now, but I saw that this keyboard can "freeze" numerouns parameters.

2.  Not likely, but maybe the default modulation of the new voice you called up is the same as what you previously set it to?  In that case, the modulation would not change when calling up the new voice -- but yes, that is a long shot.
Bob

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »
Cool. oh and if Yamaha made the psr e473 where you could also change the style channel volume that would have been nice too.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »
Well... if you need this function you should maybe consider the PSR SX600. Don't forget that the E473 is an entry level keyboard. They added style revoicing to the new functions, which is already something great (I usually hate the default bass sound on the styles of the PSR E4xx so at least I can now choose another bass).

Regards,

Vinciane

Offline casiokid

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2022, 12:32:22 PM »
You can re-voice a style on the Korg EK-50 just like you can on the E473

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2022, 02:08:28 AM »
Agree. At least the revoicing itself being able to do just that is a huge improvement imo.

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2022, 09:57:16 AM »
I started writing first impressions and realized that it was too much for a PSR-focused forum. I posted first impressions here:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-ct-s1000v-first-impressions/

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your blog. sandsoftwaresound.net is one of my regular go-to places on the web. The selection of the topics and the balance between music, technology and nerdiness is second to none. Exactly my kind of thing.

With great interest I have read your latest contribution to the CT-S1000V, which is already online.

Keep up the good work!

Tom

Online pjd

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2022, 06:23:28 PM »
Hi Tom --

Thanks for the kind words! If I don't write this stuff down, I forget it.  ;D

Peace -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2022, 01:21:23 AM »
Paul, I saw your post on the other forum :-)

Maybe I should ask this there, but I'm really getting the feeling that they don't like too many questions.  They even had a limit to the number of posts I could place in a day -- and it was like 2!  We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, since I know you have one of these keyboards, I'm curious -- We established that, on the Casio CTS 500/1000V, with DSP on, one of the knobs can be set to be a slow/fast Leslie switch.  And I know you can hold the function of the knobs to DSP parameters for when you change sounds or do something else.  But can you mix the knobs with DSP and non DSP functions?  For example, could K1 be Leslie speed, and K2 be filter cutoff?  Or maybe K1 and K2 be filter cutoff and resonance, while K3 is Leslie speed?

Otherwise, I'm getting the feeling that these keyboards are like being inside your house, and right outside, there is a brilliant world filled with rainbows, unicorns, and puppy dogs -- but you can only see it all through a small peep-hole in your door!  I feel like that with the Casios -- all of these great features -- filter, programmable DSP, Leslie speed up and slow down, various style and registration controls -- but you can only get to it all through a few dedicated buttons and soft keys, and you have to keep switching between different menus for the soft keys to access the function you want.  Since you have the keyboard, what do you think?
Bob

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2022, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi Bob, two points here:

1) I am very surprised that you were limited to two posts a day in the Casio Music Forums, I have never been aware if such a limitation. Like in our Forum here, they have a space where you can ask questions pertaining to the forum itself and usually these questions get thorough answers.

2) Yep. I am feeling exactly as you do about Casio keyboards. I was very excited when the CT-X3000 and 5000 appeared - soudwise they were great. I had the 3000 during a couple of weeks, too - great sounds, nice keybed, very complicated UI. I then had the PSR E463 for a couple of weeks but I had the feeling the sounds were a bit dated and I sent it back. I ended buying the CT-X800 which I still have.

The problem with these Casio's is that you have to program everything beforehand and store your favourite settings in registrations because the function you need are hidden into sub menus. This doesn't allow for much spontaneity.

It is too bad the PSR E473/EW425 got such a lousy launching campaign. I think that they probably deserve more love than what they're getting. If I were active in Yamaha's marketing department I would hurry a sexier demonstration campaign with live artists etc. like Casio did for the CT-S500/1000V. Hope we will get that in the forthcoming weeks.

In the meantime, I am very curious to hear PJ's feedback about the CT-S1000V.

Regards,

Vinciane.

Online pjd

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2022, 10:57:02 PM »
Good heavens, please don't wait on me.  ;D Especially while the Olympics are on TV.

As to the knobs, switches and tiny window into (or out of) the world, the CT-S1000V is limited in that way. I was playing with Active DSP and rotary parameters when I came to the same conclusion -- it's either effect parameters via the knobs OR it's tone parameters via the knobs. That could be a deal-breaker for folks who want to access both kinds of parameters simultaneously.

Casio would have (should have?) used a two-level scheme -- assign knob to CC# and assign a parameter to CC#. If the CC# is the same, then the knob and parameter rendezvous.

The situation is similar to all those synth folks wanting a zillion front panel knobs and switches for control. If a customer can live within the limitations, then OK. It's definitely not for everybody.

The CT-S1000V approach is kinda modal. The simple front panel and small number of knobs/switches keeps their cost very low. (I suspect they are even re-using printed circuit boards across models.) It does mean a lot of button pressing and menu diving...

Hope to get back to music stuff tomorrow -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2022, 12:27:30 AM »
Paul, thanks for the update and clarification!  I had a feeling that it would be either tone control OR DSP but not a mixture.

Then again, the E473/EW425 are like that as well -- the knob assignments can be filter, reverb/chorus, OR DSP controls -- no way to individually assign one knob to, say, the filter cutoff, and the other knob to a DSP parameter.  However, it looks a lot easier to change the knob assignments on the Yamahas -- just push the knob assign button and an assignment number.  No need to go into menus and sub-menus.  One thing that I don't think is clear or stated in the Yamaha manual is whether repeated pushing of the knob assignment button will advance through the selections, such as on my E433.  I suspect not -- as the E433 does not have the ability to jump from one knob assignment template to another by hitting a number key.  You can only repeatedly push the assignment button until you get to the template you want.  It is a bummer that they removed the envelope generator from the knob assignment templates on the new models.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:29:14 AM by SciNote »
Bob

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2022, 03:33:28 AM »
Cool. 8) I was also curious if we can adjust the Reverb Paramaters like make the tail longer (Reverb Time). If not that;s ok.

Online pjd

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »
I had a feeling that it would be either tone control OR DSP but not a mixture.

Hi --

The Lyric Tone parameters might be either/or, too. I need to try.

I was also curious if we can adjust the Reverb Parameters like make the tail longer (Reverb Time).

On the CT-S1000V, nope. The system effects are reverb, delay and chorus. It's only possible to choose the effect type, no access to the reverb parameters like time, high damp, etc. I think this is a serious oversight. At the very least, I like to look at the parameter values to sort out Room1 vs. Room2 vs. Room3... 

All the best -- pj