Author Topic: Styles #16 - Genre  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Joe W

Styles #16 - Genre
« on: July 25, 2021, 07:01:24 PM »
After many weeks at my computer, I am happy to announce a new styles collection, Styles 16-Genre. This is an update and replacement for an earlier Styles Collection (#8).  That link will give you more detail on what's in there.  I'm finding it great fun exploring the styles in all their variations.

My next project is an update to the Lessons that captures all the changes since 2017.  That should keep me busy for many more weeks.

There has been little or no interest in the earlier style collections.  If you haven't checked out that products page, you may not have noticed that style collections prior to #10 will be discontinued on August 1.  Too many choices, I think, may simply confuse new users.
-- Joe Waters
PSR-SX900
PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Roger Brenizer, PhotoDoc05

Offline PhotoDoc05

Re: Styles #16 - Genre
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:38 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for all of your hard work, this project is impressive!

I have a question, in general, regarding "Genres".  I, personally, would like to learn songs that are so-called "Smooth Jazz" songs.
Artists such as Brian Culbertson, Brian Simpson, Peter White, Norman Brown, Lee Ritenour, Euge Groove, Paul Hardcastle, Rick Braun, etc, they are all played on the streaming services on various "Smooth Jazz" channels that I listen to.

And yet, a lot of people don't like the term "Smooth Jazz" for various reasons, and I'm not looking to get into some argument! LOL  Does your collection specify "Smooth Jazz" as one of the genres?  If not, where would these type of styles and songs belong?   Side note, it seems hard to even find published sheet music from these artists! Thanks,  Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Joe W

Re: Styles #16 - Genre
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »
The "Jazz" categories are as defined by Yamaha and the great variety implies a lot of different interpretations of "jazz" backing: CoolJazzClub, CoolPianoJazz, JazzClub, JazzFusion, JazzGtrClub, JazzRock, MediumJazz, ModernJazzBallad, TheJazzSingers, TradPianoJazz, LatinJazz.  Nothing labeled as SmoothJazz.  But there are other "Smooth" styles: 80sSmoothBallad, 90sSmoothBallad, SmoothLatinBallad, SmoothPopBallad, and SmoothBallad.
-- Joe Waters
PSR-SX900
PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: PhotoDoc05