Author Topic: Fingered and Multifinger playing  (Read 2934 times)

Offline freeplay

Fingered and Multifinger playing
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:00:48 AM »
I have a question about registrations.

When i switch to playing registrations which many of you have so kindly put on this site the keyboard goes from multifinger, which i play all the time to fingered. i have to keep going into function to put it back. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or am i doing something wrong.
I don't do my own registrations.

Regards margaret

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Fingered and Multifinger playing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:06:41 AM »
The Registration is set to Fingered, Resave the registration to Multi Finger.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

The following users thanked this post: freeplay

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
You can stop registrations from changing fingering by firstly setting the Fingering on the keyboard to what you want, and then go to Parameter Lock and put a tick in the Fingering box.
John

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 12:17:04 AM »
You can stop registrations from changing fingering by firstly setting the Fingering on the keyboard to what you want, and then go to Parameter Lock and put a tick in the Fingering box.
John

Hi freeplay,

Here is a small addition to John's tip: Even if a checkmark is set for "Fingering" in the Parameter Lock ([FUNCTION] > Utility> Config1 > 3 Parameter Lock), so that Registrations cannot change the Fingering, you can still change the Fingering manually if needed. (To quickly bring up the Chord Fingering display, press [Direct Access] > [ACMP] button.)

The same applies to the checkmark for "Split Point" in the Parameter Lock: You can still manually adjust the Split Points, but they can no longer be changed by Registrations. (To quickly bring up the Split Point setting display, press [Direct Access] > [Sync Start] button.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:02:29 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline freeplay

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 01:04:49 AM »
Hi
Thank you all for yor advice.Will give it a try

Cheers Margaret

Offline freeplay

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:44:07 AM »
Hi.
I can't see anywhere to put a tick.Theres just arrow up or down to change the fingering. Looked on line at the reference manuel but that show anywhere either.

Cheers Margaret

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:53:35 AM »
Hi.
I can't see anywhere to put a tick.Theres just arrow up or down to change the fingering. Looked on line at the reference manuel but that show anywhere either.

Cheers Margaret

We talked about the "Parameter Lock" display (where you can tick the boxes "Fingering" and "Split Point" to prevent these settings from changing by Registrations). Please read my last post carefully again.

Information on the "Utility > Config1" display, in which the "Parameter Lock" function is located, can be found in the Tyros5 Reference Manual on pages 126/127.

By the way: The box "Master EQ" should always be ticked in "Parameter Lock". The remaining boxes (other than "Fingering" and "Split Point") are usually unticked.

I attached a picture of the Parameter Lock display on Tyros4. In principle, it looks the same on Tyros5. :)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:27:35 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline freeplay

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 04:37:27 AM »

Hi Chris

Thank you for the screen shot,that helped me a lot. Dont seem to understand things like i use to ( seniors moments )

kind regards margaret

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
An alternative is to simply ensure that one’s startup registration uses the fingering that you prefer.

Incidentally, why is Single Finger so named when apart from those instances when just a major chord is required, we can play minor and seventh chords with two keys, and even minor sevenths with three keys?

And what is the point of the Fingered option, when that is available with Multi Fingered fingering as well as the convenience of Single Fingering if required?

Alan

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 11:30:45 AM »
…… what is the point of the Fingered option, when that is available with Multi Fingered fingering as well as the convenience of Single Fingering if required?
Alan, you are largely, correct and this is the reason why multi fingered is the default setting on all new arrangers. But there are minor differences. In fingered mode you don’t get unintended chord changes if you make a mistake and either hit two adjacent keys or just hit one key ahead of the others. And when you intentionally hit three adjacent keys in fingered you can stop all the accompaniment except drums. In mutifingered three adjacent keys produces a different chord. So you could say fingered mode gives the player who is confident in their chord playing slightly more control, while the multi fingered gives the less confident player more fall back options to avoid disasters.
Mike
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:32:58 AM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 12:56:25 PM »
An alternative is to simply ensure that one’s startup registration uses the fingering that you prefer.

It’s not that simple, Alan.

Yes, everyone should have a startup registration which sets up the keyboard they way they prefer.

But it’s of little use when subsequent registrations change the fingering on you.

That’s why Parameter Lock if the right solution here.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline alanclare

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
Gottit! Thanks Fred.

Alan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
...and if nothing else it's made me look into yet another hidden corner of the arranger's toolkit - Parameter Lock.

Alan

Offline freeplay

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 02:02:59 AM »
Hi Guys
Thank you for your info on fingered chords.  I only play very eaxy chords. G , C, F (3 fingered) anc b flat, E flat
(  single fingered).
Sti.l havd a llt lf fun though
More questions may follow

Cheers Margaret