Author Topic: Transpose setting  (Read 3098 times)

Offline nmerali

Transpose setting
« on: July 08, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
Something has gone wrong with my PSR S975. please help.
I had all my 8 registrations beautifully set up to 8 different instruments .
I have the freeze button transpose key highlighted and saved into memory 2 (User and USB).
Now when I set to the transpose button to +1 or +2 for one instrument, it plays well. When I change the voice using a different instrument, all parameters are locked except the transpose which goes back to 0 and does not hold.Not sure why all the parameters such as voices, split point etc are frozen except the transpose feature!!
Naz

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Transpose setting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 10:47:32 PM »
Something has gone wrong with my PSR S975. please help.
I had all my 8 registrations beautifully set up to 8 different instruments .
I have the freeze button transpose key highlighted and saved into memory 2 (User and USB).
Now when I set to the transpose button to +1 or +2 for one instrument, it plays well. When I change the voice using a different instrument, all parameters are locked except the transpose which goes back to 0 and does not hold.Not sure why all the parameters such as voices, split point etc are frozen except the transpose feature!!
Naz

It's hard to help you as it's hard to know exactly what you are doing.

We understand you have 8 registrations. But what does "freeze button ... saved into memory 2" mean? And what's "User and USB" about? And "all parameters are locked"?

Here's some help:
1. A registration will remember what only you tell it to. You tell it what to memorize on the screen which comes up after you press the memory button. Only the groups that are checked will be memorized.
2. You can save a registration bank to the User drive, or a USB stick, or both if you want. Where you store a registration bank is immaterial to its operation. But from your post I'm not sure you understand the registration save process. If you did, you would know you can have far more than 8 registrations -- you just save registration banks to a file on a drive.

If a registration is changing the transpose setting, it's because (1) you told it to set the transpose to zero when you memorized it, and (2) Freeze of transpose is off (either because the Freeze button is not on, or because you didn't check Transpose in the Freeze setting screen).

If you don't want a registration to change the transpose setting, by far the simplest is to re-memorize that registration, and ensure the Transpose box is unchecked (this screen comes up after you press the Memory button, and before you press the relevant registration button). Once you've told the registration not to change the Transpose setting, you don't have to worry about Freeze.

You would benefit from watching my registration videos (link in signature).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline nmerali

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 01:19:38 AM »
Hello Fred,
Many thanks
When I play with different singers,
 I select their key on the transpose button,
I actually want the transpose button to hold the scale when I go from one voice to another.
I have the transpose box checked and have the freeze button on hoping it will stay in that scale.
What is happening is if I set the transpose button to eg +2 ,when i play another voice in the middle of a song, the transpose  automatically goes back  to 0.
Your advice will be appreciated.
naz

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 05:29:37 AM »
Hello Fred,
Many thanks
When I play with different singers,
 I select their key on the transpose button,
I actually want the transpose button to hold the scale when I go from one voice to another.
I have the transpose box checked and have the freeze button on hoping it will stay in that scale.
What is happening is if I set the transpose button to eg +2 ,when i play another voice in the middle of a song, the transpose  automatically goes back  to 0.
Your advice will be appreciated.
naz

When you say "select another voice", you really mean load another registration, right?

So your problem is your registration is changing the transposition. As we’ve said, you have two choices:

1. Re-memorize your registrations ensuring the transpose box is unchecked in the Memory screen.
2. Use freeze properly. If your registration is changing the transpose, it means that either:
— the Freeze button was not on
— you didn’t specify transpose to be frozen in the Freeze Setting screen.

Personally, I’d check the last item. I’m betting you don’t have transpose set in the Freeze Settings screen.

But if you want to make your life easier, re-memorize your registrations. There’s only 8 of them. Then you don’t have to worry about Freeze.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline nmerali

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 05:44:33 AM »
Thank you Fred,
Problem fixed