Author Topic: Recommended headphones for psr's on Amazon?  (Read 2379 times)

shim

Recommended headphones for psr's on Amazon?
« on: July 05, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
Hi
Looking for headphones,
Not expensive
Even from the not too brands, but known as good,
Using with s970
And possibly also
Electronic drums.

What do you guys Recommend?

And what types are there?
Easier to wear?
Bluetooth?

Appreciate any advice.
Thank you

Offline johan

Re: Recommended headphones for psr's on Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 04:48:50 PM »
I am very satisfied of my low cost AKG K72 (38EUR or around 50$). Over-ear and very light so that I can wear them easily for a longer time. Long wire (3m so rather a bit too long but I prefer that compared to very short wires). The headphone has a 3.5mm plug and the included 6.3 mm adaptor is screwed on that plug so that when you pull out the headphone, the adaptor always comes with it. I would not go for bluetooth for the delays that come with it.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
Sennhiser HD206 Over Ear. One of the best low cost headphones from a respected manufacturer.
Priced around £26 - £30 UK.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/sennheiser-hd-206-review

DGX670

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
I use Audio-Thecnica ATHm20x

Regards

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »
Headphones are a pretty personal choice (like speakers) and you really should try them to judge comfort and sound for yourself. That is usually not hard to do as most large computer/electronic stores will have them set up.
My own experience is that pretty much all headphones from reputable manufacturers sound ok, but some people are much more picky than me about exactly how much bass, treble etc they hear. So try for yourself. Be careful with bluetooth headphones though, they might have too much latency (signal ) delay for live play.
As a comparison, I have a set of Sony that cost about $50 and a set of Bose that cost several hundreds. Are the Bose more comfortable - yes, ….do they sound better - yes. But if the Sony are sitting on the keyboard, and the Bose are somewhere at the other end of the house, I just use the Sony…ie I don’t consider the difference to my my playing enjoyment enough to go to the bother of searching the house for the Bose!
Mike
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:49:27 PM by mikf »

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »
An additional word about basics of latency and live playing - in case you are new to this.
It takes about 5-10 millisecond for a sound signal to travel through a wire, if the wire is not hugely long. Research has shown the musicians playing live do not typically notice up to 20 millisecond delay from playing a note to hearing it. But beyond this it gets to be ‘disturbing’. Those of us who have played large pipe organs in a church where the pipes are displaced from the player might have already experienced how hard this can be to get used to. 
Bluetooth has delays which are generally more than 20 ms, and can be as much as 100 plus ms. This is not a problem when just listening to sound because it’s all delayed. Even where that sound is accompanying live pictures and therefore slightly out of synch it’s  not too big a deal. But when your actions are creating that sound and it gets delayed by more than 20 ms before you hear it, musicians generally find it much harder to play.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Offline WaltMon

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
Take a look at Grado Labs Prestige series - over the ear, wired, 1/4 in plug. There is one for every budget. My SR80’s are still going strong after 8 years!

Walt
SX700, MOX6 (R.I.P.)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »
I ended up using my ultra light KOSS UR 18, because I lean over the panel to see the screen (low vision), and the heavy earphones just fall off my head :) I tried a set of AudioTechincha in my music store, and liked them very much, but they were sold out. Earphones mostly come down to personal taste, we hear differently. So it is best to try them out.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »
Very personal choice. I'd second the suggestion of Grado, as they're very neutral, not adding any highs or lows that aren't really there. Well made, lightweight and comfortable.

Yamaha and Roland also make some good headphones. I have a cheap set of Yamahas for the computer. Good but just a little too much bass for me to use on the keyboard, piano or organ.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

AndyMark

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 09:03:05 PM »
I recommend the Yamaha HPH-150 (HPH-150B) open-type headphones.
I am pleased with them and pleasantly surprised. I use them with the PSR-SX900. They are very light and comfortable to wear, nothing to compress. It is also worth paying attention to the thin and light cable. They can be worn for a long time. The ears are not covered. In addition, thanks to the open design of the headphones, there is contact with the environment, and the ears do not heat up or sweat. The keyboard EQ allows you to correct the sound, for example by adding bass. In my case, this is not necessary, even though I am used to the sound from monitors and subwoofer when I can play loud.

Open headphones are more expensive than closed headphones. However, I cannot imagine using closed headphones (isolating from the environment) due to the complete closing of the ears and their sweating.

All in all, the sound is great and rivals much more expensive brands in my opinion. These headphones, however, are a Yamaha product.
Have a look at the Thomann store page, there are also reviews from other users:
https://www.thomann.de/en/search_dir.html?sw=HPH-150&smcs=2bee9d_6637
You can also find the HPH-150B headphones on Amazon.

Regards,
Andy

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
I have been very happy using Marantz MPH2 headphones, inexpensive and extremely high quality. https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MPH-2-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01E75MKRY

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »
Hi
I use AKG 702's about £119 open back
These are great for mixing and for Genos
Superb quality :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
I have been very happy using Marantz MPH2 headphones, inexpensive and extremely high quality. https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MPH-2-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01E75MKRY

Gary  8)

Hi Gary
I have a Marantz stereo hi-fi system . Incredible quality for it's  price
atb
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox