Author Topic: Switch on USB1 and USB2 locations  (Read 3337 times)

Offline alanclare

Switch on USB1 and USB2 locations
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
On my psr s970 I have two usb drives which are used for the majority of my work, and both are connected at start up. It is important that each assumes the identity USB1 and USB2 that the arranger requires. Sometimes these identities are reversed and I have to restart the instrument with just one drive connected, that which contains the files which are required to be on USB1. Once the machine has finished starting I can switch on that drive containing the files which are required to be on USB2.

Is there are a way to reverse the allocations USB1 and USB2 after start up?

Alan

The following users thanked this post: freeplay

Offline Bill

Re: Switch on USB1 and USB2 locations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:59:21 PM »
Hi Alan

No there is no way to change the allocation after switch on.  Why do you need to have two USB stick inserted on start up.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 06:15:05 PM »
Bill

The two sticks are semi-permanent. One contains my collection of styles on a read-only stick which I want to be allocated tonUSB2; the other is the “general purpose” stick, containing, amongst other files, the all-important registrations, the songs, and the recordings which need to be on USB1.

Both of these remain on the instrument when I switch off.

Alan

Offline freeplay

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
Hi Allen
I have the same problem. I have downloaded lots of styles from this site which give so much enjoyment but when i leave both usb sticks in port i can't always find the music. I have tyros 5 so have one usb port at the back and front. i hope we can get some more replies to our problem.  You can't fit lots and lots of music on one usb even if it is 60gb. 

Cheers Margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
I have the same problem. I have downloaded lots of styles from this site which give so much enjoyment but when i leave both usb sticks in port i can't always find the music. I have tyros 5 so have one usb port at the back and front. i hope we can get some more replies to our problem.  You can't fit lots and lots of music on one usb even if it is 60gb. 

Unfortunately, the USB number is determined by when, not where. USB1 is the first one inserted, USB2 is the 2nd one. If both sticks are inserted when the power is turned on, there’s no guarantee they be assign numbers consistently.

Your choices are:
1. Use one USB stick,
2. Always have only one inserted when you power on, then insert the 2nd one
3. Upgrade to a Genos which has solved this problem by searching all inserted drives.

Given the size of USB sticks these days, I think the best solution is #1.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline freeplay

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 02:12:22 AM »
Thank you Fred for the reply. I will just use one USB stick i think. About how many styles do you think i could put on the hard drive.

Cheers Margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 02:31:00 AM »
Thank you Fred for the reply. I will just use one USB stick i think. About how many styles do you think i could put on the hard drive.

The average style file is 32K bytes. If you have a drive size of 64Gb, you can put 2,000,000 styles on it.

If all you're talking about is styles, registrations and midi files, you will never run out of room. The only time you might have storage issues is with a lot of .wav or mp3 files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline freeplay

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 05:32:54 AM »
Thanks Fred. Im not good with mp3 music only know how to load style files and play them. How many style files would the hard drive on tyros 5 hold. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
Thanks Fred. Im not good with mp3 music only know how to load style files and play them. How many style files would the hard drive on tyros 5 hold. Hope that makes sense.

The Tyros hard drive can hold millions of style files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
The Tyros 5 hard Drive is 500GB and will hold all you will ever need to put on there and you still will not fill it. No need to use USB sticks for playing from. Just make a back up of your hard drive from time to time.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 04:30:50 AM »
hi
Thanks Fred and Eileen. How do i back up the hard drive. I really am a novice here

Cheers Margaret