Author Topic: How do I finger the C5 chord?  (Read 1732 times)

rdpatterson

How do I finger the C5 chord?
« on: July 05, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
I was trying to single finger a C5 chord but my PSR S910 didn't seem to recognize it. When I play it with the C and the G above it, it doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone have any hints for me?

Offline mikf

Re: How do I finger the C5 chord?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 03:34:48 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don’t think that power chords like this can actually be played on an arranger. At least not by the automatic accompaniment.  The thing is that power chords are neither major or minor so not sure how accompaniment can work out what to do. In fact traditionalists might argue these are not chords at all because they don’t fully define.
You can of course sound these open chords yourself by having a lh voice activated, but not sure how it would work for auto accompaniment. Might depend on which fingering mode you choose. You could try having a guitar sound in the lh then modifying the style by killing some channels in the mixer so it doesn't produce sounds that fight this.
Mike

rdpatterson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 08:48:20 PM »
Thanks Mike. I will try some of those things.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 01:35:12 AM »
I was trying to single finger a C5 chord but my PSR S910 didn't seem to recognize it. When I play it with the C and the G above it, it doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone have any hints for me?

Hi rdpatterson,

If you currently have the chord fingering type set to "Single Finger", it is NOT possible to play the chord "C5" (also called "C1+5"). Just try the "Multi Finger" type. With this fingering  type, both "Single Finger" and "Fingered" type chords are automatically recognized correctly, and it should then work to play the "C5" (C1+5) chord as you originally wrote (C + G above).

P.S.
With the fingering types "Fingered" and "AI Fingered" these "1+5" chords (root + fifth, without third) can of course also be played.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:47:38 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
If you're playing your own chords and will never want or need '1 finger chords' etc, then I'd recommend switching to AI Fingered Mode and leaving it there! The mode is totally transparent to normal chords, only 'springing into action' when you play something more interesting or demanding, like a 'slash chord' (like C/G) or maybe a rootless 9th or 13th.

Power chords like C5 are easy meat for AI mode! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com