Author Topic: Usb not recognised  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Sillimtao

Usb not recognised
« on: July 11, 2023, 10:50:30 AM »
Hi I have a yamaha sx700 which won't recognise the usb input.
I have tried various different drives formated in fat32 but nothing works.
Is there a test I can do.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Offline Divemaster

Re: Usb not recognised
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 11:08:26 AM »
Have you tried formatting the drives on your SX700?

Go to Menu 2 / Utility /Storage.
Does a drive show there as USB 1If not then you have a socket or a drive issue.

If it does show USB1 then press on that line where it shows USB 1....which will turn green.
Then format the USB stick.

I use Sandisc Cruzer 16 and 3rd Gb drives on my SX700 and have never had any issues. If you are using older discs, consider buying a new one.

Does the drive work on your pc? If so, then reset your SX-700 by holding down the furthest white key on the right hand side and then turn your keyboard on. Keep it held down until your main screen comes on. Then let go and try the steps I've given you again.

Keith.
If that doesn't help, then come back to us.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 02:22:01 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Disposable

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 03:40:33 AM »
Most uSB drives (sticks) up to 16 gig should work even if formatted on the PC, but don't use Quick Format as the drive can fail to be recognised, always use Full Format option.
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

I play the music, but the Cat plays the strings.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 12:25:45 PM »
Hi I have a yamaha sx700 which won't recognise the usb input.
I have tried various different drives formated in fat32 but nothing works.
Is there a test I can do.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Sillimtao!

If the problem described still persists, you could use the internal Test program to check if your SX700's USB-to-Device terminal is working properly.

Just send me a Personal Message (click on the link "overover" in one of my posts and then on "Send PM"). Then I will be happy to send you the relevant information on how to use the Test program. Note that you will also need a USB "A-B type" cable ("printer cable") to connect the USB-to-Device and USB-to-Host terminals for the test.

P.S.
As has already been written, almost all available USB sticks should work on the SX700, provided they are correctly FAT32 formatted. Sticks over 16 GB (e.g. 32, 64, 128 GB) should also work. The corresponding "Compatible USB Device List" (USB sticks tested by Yamaha) lists models up to 64 GB:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html

Incidentally, in my experience, when formatting a USB stick on the computer, the "Quick Format" method can be used without any problems. It is not absolutely necessary to use the time-consuming "Full Format" method. Of course, it is safest to format USB sticks directly on the keyboard, especially if there are problems with a stick. But as far as I know, a Quick Format method is also used here.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 12:29:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
Yamaha always advise to format on the keyboard before using. I find Kingston and Verbatim to be very reliable on all keyboards.