Author Topic: Style sounds  (Read 2132 times)

Offline raywil77

Style sounds
« on: June 28, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »
Hi everyone thinking about buying a clavinova 805 , problem is I’m a keyboard player not a piano player. The question is,   Is it possible to get the same sound of the clavinova ,from a Genos keyboard
Thanks

Offline Amwilburn

Re: Style sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Yes and no... they are fundamentally the same chipset, *but* the 809 only has 2 layers, not 3; No Ensemble mode (e.g. string quartet) and no sample installing from YEM.

Also, they remove the C7 and put a (very nice) Bosendorfer in the 809. But the speakers & keys are incredible on the 809.

The base sound library, other than a few minor additions and the aforementioned changes, are the same.

But for the CVP805, it's the same chipset as the PSRsx900 (but the sx900 contains a lot more drum kits in lieu of the Bosendorfer). Not the Genos.

The Genos contains nearly all the sounds from the 809 (the 809 has a few extra layered sounds). The Genos contains everything the 805 has, except for a few guitars are modified on the 805/sx900.

Conversely the 805 cannot do what a Genos can; it can do what the PSRsx900 can do, except for the international drums & voices.
Mark
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:21:09 PM by Amwilburn »

The following users thanked this post: raywil77

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 07:18:52 PM »
I believe the Clavinovas do not provide Aftertouch either. Is that still correct?

John

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
No multi pads or pitchbend/modulation wheels either on a Clavinova. Fundamentally the Clavinova is a nice piece of fixed living room furniture/good 88 key piano with most, but not all, the features of a Genos.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:46:40 PM »
Remember also the keys are weighted Keyboards have a lighter touch.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »
Yes, a CVP feels and plays like a real piano. They have a lot of overlap but some significant  differences. Buy a CVP if you want a decent living room type piano that has many features of a quality arranger, … buy a Genos if you want a top of the line studio /gigging arranger that can also be played like a half decent piano.
Mike

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »
Dear Ray,

I own a CVP309 Polished Ebony still in mint conditions (only replaced the keyboard contacts, which is within the regular maintenance), and I pondered for a long time whether to change it with a CVP805/809 or to get a Genos.

After many tests I did on the new CVPs, I decided to keep my CVP309PE and to buy a Genos.

I'm very happy of this choice. Clavinova has a beautiful weighted keyboard and an excellent audio system. But Genos is a war machine with an unbelievable power and the best interface you can imagine, besides an incredible range of precious sounds, including piano's sounds that IMHO are more than decent.

It could also be considered that buying Genos you save about 50% comparing to Clavinova (the lack of an audio system can be easy solved with the dedicated speakers or, as in my case, with a pair of powerful Yamaha Hs8, or similar powered monitors).

Another advantage is that you can carry Genos by yourself, in your car, which is impossible with the Clavinova, unless you have an SUV or station wagon and friends available to help you.

Finally, you say you are more an arranger player than a piano player. This could be a determining factor in favor of Genos.

In both cases, you will enjoy the new purchase, since these are high-end instruments.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.