Author Topic: "Open with" in Windows 10  (Read 2666 times)

"Open with" in Windows 10
« on: June 30, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »
Hi all,

A while back I did something dumb. I backup all my registrations (RGT files) to my PC. One time, I decided to right-click a RGT file stored on my Windows 10 PC and clicked "Open with Excel." I was hoping I could read the contents of the RGT file. It was a dumb move ::). Now every RGT file on my PC has the Excel icon in front of it, as show in the attached image. How can I get rid of those? I've done an extensive search on the net about un-associating a file with a program but nothing works. Any ideas? Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Re: "Open with" in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »
Go to Settings, choose Apps, select Default Apps in the left hand column, scroll to the bottom of window and choose 'default apps by file type'. Then scroll through the extensions and you can associate or un-associate the types with the apps.

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
Okay as usual, I found the answer AFTER I posted the question. For those who make the same error, here's the procedure:

1.   Right click the Desktop and choose New - Text Document. When the document opens, you need to save the document with a .bat file extension
2.   Click File > Save As and at the bottom of the Save As dialog box, change Save as Type to All Files.
3.   Manually enter the file name XXX.bat.
4.   Right click any file you want to disassociate and choose Open with > Choose another app > More Apps.
5.   Choose Always use this app.
6.   Scroll to the bottom and click Look for another app on this PC.
7.   Navigate to the XXX.bat file on your Desktop and select it. You will get a Windows error. Ignore it.
8.   Delete XXX.bat from your Desktop.
9.   Restart your system. The file association will be reset to Unknown.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: vanzee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Christophermoment. I tried that but the RGT file extension isn't listed on that page. The procedure I just posted works. Again, many thanks ;)!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
I don't have Windows 10 but you should be able to right-click the file...

Select "Properties"

Under the general Tab there is a field stating... "Open with"

If you don't see the App... click "Change"

You should see a list of Apps... select the correct program to open the file with and save.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 04:09:32 PM »
Thanks, Joe. The whole idea was, I didn't want the RGT files to be associated with any program because Windows doesn't have a program that can read the RGT file content. After using the procedure I listed earlier, the files now look like this...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Thanks, Joe. The whole idea was, I didn't want the RGT files to be associated with any program because Windows doesn't have a program that can read the RGT file content. After using the procedure I listed earlier, the files now look like this...

The better idea is to have Murray Best's Registration Manager on your computer, and associate .RGT files with it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »
The better idea is to have Murray Best's Registration Manager on your computer, and associate .RGT files with it.

Cheers,
Fred

Yes, I agree and had that thought in mind when I made the suggestion.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »
Thanks, guys! Yes, I have Murray's wonderful program and had forgot all about it :(. I'll update the file association.

Online overover

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »
Thanks, guys! Yes, I have Murray's wonderful program and had forgot all about it :(. I'll update the file association.

Hi Lee,

Probably direct opening of Registration Files in the Yamaha Registration Manager (by double-clicking in Windows Explorer) will not work as expected. For me (on Win10 64bit) it does not work with "Open with" nor when the file type ".rgt" is associated with the Registration Manager. The program starts, but the relevant Registration bank is not loaded automatically. So the whole thing does not really make an advantage. ;)

I recommend the file type ".rgt" simply assign to the Windows Editor (Notepad) or another Text Editor. Advanced users can also use a Hex Editor. (I use e.g. "Next-Soft Hex-Editor MX".) In this way you can open a Registration file simply by double-clicking it in the Editor and immediately see which external files (e.g. Styles, MIDI files) are linked in it or determine the "full path" of the linked files. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 05:16:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: vanzee

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 12:10:25 AM »
Chris,

Is it possible to run the program in compatibility Mode.  Either XP SP3 or Windows 7?

Joe H

Online overover

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 01:34:32 AM »
Chris,

Is it possible to run the program in compatibility Mode.  Either XP SP3 or Windows 7?

Joe H

Yes, Joe, you could run the Yamaha Registration Manager program in compatibility Mode for "Windows 7" on Windows 10. But this would make no difference to opening .rgt files directly from Windows Explorer with a double click, because this function has to be specially programmed by the developer. The current version "5.11 Special" obviously does not support this option.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 01:57:41 AM »
Thanks, guys. I wasn't wanting to actually open the .rgt files.  I can do that with Murray's program. I was more interested in not seeing the Excel logo at the beginning of all my RGT backup files on my PC because it looked crazy :). So, I guess it was largely a cosmetic problem.

Online overover

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 03:11:41 AM »
Thanks, guys. I wasn't wanting to actually open the .rgt files.  I can do that with Murray's program. I was more interested in not seeing the Excel logo at the beginning of all my RGT backup files on my PC because it looked crazy :). So, I guess it was largely a cosmetic problem.

Then, as mentioned before, just associate .rgt files with the "Editor". That doesn't look bad, does it? (See the attached little picture.)

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »
Yes, that's perfect Chris. It makes far more sense than seeing the Excel logo.