Author Topic: SX600 connected to computer using HOST USB port  (Read 5039 times)

Offline tyros2009

SX600 connected to computer using HOST USB port
« on: June 29, 2021, 11:15:30 PM »
I downloaded the USB driver (for Windows 7)  for my SX600 keyboard, and expect that the HOST USB port connection is recognized by my Windows7 PC. My goal is to be able to let PC (Audacity) software to record digital audio directly from my SX600 keyboard. This way, I do nothave to record audio on my keyboard, then bring the USB thumb drive to the PC to copy the AUDIO FILE (in WAV format).
Well, My Windows 7 PC did not "see" the keyboard at all.
Using same cable, connected to a Lexicon Lambda audio interface box, no problem at all.

Has anyone with SX600 done this ? If yes, please let me know how you get it to work.
Many thanks.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline overover

Re: SX600 connected to computer using HOST USB port
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 11:25:59 PM »
I downloaded the USB driver (for Windows 7)  for my SX600 keyboard, and expect that the HOST USB port connection is recognized by my Windows7 PC. My goal is to be able to let PC (Audacity) software to record digital audio directly from my SX600 keyboard. ...
Well, My Windows 7 PC did not "see" the keyboard at all.
Using same cable, connected to a Lexicon Lambda audio interface box, no problem at all.

Has anyone with SX600 done this ? If yes, please let me know how you get it to work. ...

Hi tyros2009,

Which version of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver did you download and install? According to the information on the download page, the current version (V2.0.4) only supports Windows 10 (64bit):
>>> https://de.yamaha.com/de/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_for_win.html

If not already done so, I recommend to try the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Windows 10/8.1/7 (32-bit/64-bit):
>>> https://de.yamaha.com/de/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_v203_win.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:22:16 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 08:25:06 PM »
The driver I loaded is:  Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Windows 10/8.1/7 (32-bit/64-bit)
This driver is shown in the Software/Program list (in the Settings -> software removal menu).
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

janamdo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 09:21:58 PM »
Hi

With help of @ ckobu who is a expert on this subject,  i managed to record the playing of my sx600 as midi in Cakewalk ( free)
Don't  know if it possible to record as audio in Cakewalk ?
Note: using win10 pro 64 bit

Jan

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 11:00:40 PM »
The driver I loaded is:  Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Windows 10/8.1/7 (32-bit/64-bit)
This driver is shown in the Software/Program list (in the Settings -> software removal menu).

Thanks for your feedback, tyros2009!

Since the SX600 is still relatively new, it could be that the current version 2.0.4 of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (which is unfortunately only available for Win 10 64-bit) is absolutely necessary for this model. I recommend that you ask Yamaha directly whether version 2.0.3 can also be used for the SX600.

Regarding Audacity: Even the current version 3.0.2 does not support ASIO drivers by default, but the ASIO support could be installed later:
>>> https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/asio_audio_interface.html

By the way: If you haven't already done so, please try all three driver platforms integrated in Audacity: MME, Windows DirectSound and Windows WASAPI (switchable via the drop-down field below the transport buttons). See also the attached picture.

P.S.
Unfortunately, I can't test anything for you in this case, because I don't have an SX600, but "only" Tyros5 and Genos (and neither of them has an integrated USB Audio interface).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:15:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

janamdo

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 09:53:07 AM »
Here it is recording a style in Midi on sequenzer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqUzC4DqnI
Don't know yet about audiorecording from SX600 ( in general or styles)  into sequenzer ?

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:06:00 PM »
I tried same thing with my Windows 10 PC and the audio interface works as expected. Audacity recognizes this audio interface.
I can select this USB as input and/or output.
I can also use the Win10 Camera app to "capture and share".

The same Yamaha driver is supposed to work with Win7, 8 and 10, but does not work with Win7.
When my Win7 boots up, it pop up an error saying "Yamaha USB driver  cannot be installed, contact the manufaturer..."
At least, I verified that my SX600 works properly in this aspect.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Hi tyros2009,

Which Windows 7 version do you have exactly installed? The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver requires at least "Windows 7 SP1" (Service Pack 1).

The Yamaha Driver has nothing to do with your Lexicon Audio Interface. This either has its own driver or it is "USB Class compliant" so that no special driver is necessary.

It is also important that the SX600 is connected directly to the PC via USB, i.e. NOT via a USB HUB.

When installing the Yamaha Driver under Windows 7, it is important that you are logged in with an Administrator account. In addition, it doesn't hurt to start "setup.exe" with "right click > Run as Administrator" (instead of double-clicking).

In addition, the keyboard must not be connected to the computer via USB when installing the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver. (In contrast to the installation of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver, which can only be installed if the keyboard is already CONNECTED to the computer via USB.)

P.S.
I have just installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 on a virtual Windows 7 Professional SP1 (under VirtualBox). The installation went without any problems, and after the restart there was no error message. Unfortunately, I can't test more for you because, as already mentioned, I don't have a device that is compatible with the YSUSB Driver.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 01:18:18 AM »
I verified that my Windows 7 has SP1 (Service Pack 1).
This PC contains all kinds of music software that I use to create music sheets, collect song lyrics + chords, multi track recording, etc...
It would take me a few days to get my Windows 10 up to this level (it was mainly for a different purpose).
BTW, this Windows 7 PC works well with the Lexicon Lambda audio interface box which takes in analog audio, convert to digital and send to PC via USB cable.
I strongly believe the Yamaha USB driver for Windows 7 (SP1) is faulty.
Does any one has similar issue with Windows 7 and any Yamaha keyboard.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 01:26:41 AM »
Hi tyros2009,

Version 2.0.3 of the YSUSB Driver can also be used under Windows 10. If I were you, I would first install this version on Win 10 (and, if not already done, the same version of Audacity that you use on Win 7) and test the whole thing on Win 10. As I said, with me the driver can be installed perfectly under Win 7, and no error message appears ...

Best regards,
Chris

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
Using Windows 10, USB connection between my PC and the SX600 works as expected.
HOWEVER, after a month playing it and getting feedback from friends, I realize that its sound quality is not up to the level I expected (as shown in youtube video). So I end up returning it to local GC (for full refund).
I will order an SX900 instead. Still playing my Tyros3 at mean time.

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »
Using Windows 10, USB connection between my PC and the SX600 works as expected.
HOWEVER, after a month playing it and getting feedback from friends, I realize that its sound quality is not up to the level I expected (as shown in youtube video). So I end up returning it to local GC (for full refund).
I will order an SX900 instead. Still playing my Tyros3 at mean time.

Hi tyros2009,

if you are talking about the sound quality of the SX600 over the USB Audio connection, please note that SX900/700, as well as Genos, do NOT have a USB Audio interface (but only USB-MIDI).

This means, you need an external Audio interface (connected to the computer via USB) to make Audio recordings of an SX900 on a computer. (Or use the internal Audio recorder of the keyboard.)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
I am talking about the audio quality of the SX600 itself, not related to the USB connection.
I compare its sound to a S910 and the S910 sounds much better (and the S970 sounds even better).
The digital audio transfer from SX600 to the PC is perfect. I also know that SX700/SX900, Tyros3 do not have built in audio interface. For these keyboards, I would record to USB in WAV format, then bring the USB to the PC to copy the WAV file instead of going thru an audio interface (which I also have for recording guitar, vocal, etc....)
Yesterday, I had a change to hear a friend playing his SX900 and it sounds great. I plan to order one.