Author Topic: PSR SX-900 Speakers  (Read 2775 times)

vadesriux

PSR SX-900 Speakers
« on: June 25, 2021, 11:37:55 AM »
To owners of this keyboard, do you find the SX-900 speakers to be too much on the bassy side (too much bass by default)?... I like to hear the bass but woudn't want to have a keyboard whose speakers are always too boomy.

And if they are in fact a bit boomy, is there a way to internally control / "tame" the low frequencies of the speakers ?

Thank you.
Eduardo.

Offline Graham UK

Re: PSR SX-900 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:42:39 AM »
There is an option in EQ setting to adjust the levels of different frequencys.
You can make adjustments to your liking.
DGX670

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
I personally find the speakers fine on the SX900. There is a setting on the EQ section for Lower bass if you want this.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »
I was initially disappointed with the SX900 speakers after my S950, but when I discovered how to use the EQ I was much happier. 

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »
I am a novice and really understand nothing about EQ settings. I would be grateful if somebody could tell me how I can easily reduce the bass for the whole of the keyboard within EQ settings. Being a novice player may have a lot to do with it but I wish I could make the overall sound of the keyboard sweeter.
thanks
Geoff

vadesriux

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »
My question is somehow related to Geoff's question:

The EQ adjustments on the EQ section changes the SX900 loudspeakers sound, or only its internal sounds (ex: when hearing with headphones) ?

(thanks everyone for helping !)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 03:31:59 PM »
The Keyboard EQ setting change the overall output sound...styles and voices.
it's easy for to check this yourself by listening to the speakers and headphones and make adjustment whilst listening.
DGX670

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »
Hi Eduardo,

The overall sound of the SX900 depends, among other things, on the Master EQ and Master Compressor settings.

These settings apply to the internal speakers as well as if you play through an external PA system or headphones. Under certain circumstances, you may have to change (switch) the Master EQ / Master Compressor settings, for example if you switch between internal speakers and headphones. (There are 30 user slots on the SX900 for your custom compressor and EQ settings.)

A good pair of headphones should already sound good with the "EQ > Flat" + "Compressor > Natural" (or Compressor switched OFF) setting. The sound through the internal speakers also depends to a certain extent on the room or the POSITION in the room in which the SX900 is set up. For example, if it is placed directly on a wall or in a corner of the room, you will hear more BASS or low frequencies than if the keyboard is a little further away from the wall.

I recommend that you first read through the relevant chapters in the manuals:
- SX900 Owner's Manual, page 96: "Adjusting the Sound at the Final Output (Master Compressor, Master EQ)"
- SX900 Reference Manual, pages 103/104: "Editing EQ Parameters"> Master EQ
- SX900 Reference Manual, pages 108/109: "Editing Master Compressor Settings"

Please open the display "Mixer > tab Master" to see which settings are active there for "Compressor" and "EQ".

For a neutral sound, you could try the following settings:
- Compressor ON, Preset "Natural" (or Compressor switched OFF)
- EQ: Preset "Flat"

Also try the other preset EQ types ("Powerful", "Mellow" and "Bright") to hear the differences. It is best to play different Preset Styles (and their OTS) with these settings.

Note: With the preset EQ type "With Subwoofer" the low-frequency bands are reduced. (Intended for operation with an additional, external subwoofer.) This preset may also be suitable for you without a subwoofer.

If you basically like a certain EQ preset (e.g. "Flat"), only the low frequencies are too much, first turn the gain control for the frequency 80Hz (far left) a little counter-clockwise (e.g. from 0dB to say -3dB).

If that's not enough, you can also use the next Gain control to the right. A center frequency of 250Hz is set for this frequency band in the "Flat" preset. If necessary, you can also change this frequency (tap on the value) so that this Gain knob controls e.g. at 200 Hz.

The Q-Factor determines the so-called "bandwidth" for each individual EQ frequency band. Q=0.7 (= standard setting) corresponds to the largest possible bandwidth. With this attitude, you can least "go wrong". However, if you want to lower a certain (disruptive) frequency (e.g. because of room resonance), I recommend setting a narrower bandwidth, e.g. Q=1.5. Then you can lower the frequency set for this frequency band with the gain control in a narrow band, i.e. without strongly influencing the frequencies below and above.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:40:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, geoff5798

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks Chris, a lot of useful information there , I will read it all, and experiment. The room with my keyboard is a very small box bedroom and the keyboard is right next to the wall. I will have a play around with the settings over the weekend and try and improve the acoustics.
Geoff

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 05:17:36 PM »
The SX900 has speakers that are not only directed upwards, but backwards as well. This is good when gigging, the sound goes more out to the audience. The downside is more bass if you place it close to a wall.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

vadesriux

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
I lost my fear of having boomy speakers on the SX900 with such a detailed explanation :). In fact the 900 will be placed away from walls so hopefully the tweaking (if needed) will be less if any. But Chris explanation is super handy and with knowledge.

Thank you very much !

Online overover

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
Thanks for your kind feedback, Geoff and Eduardo!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:02:02 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)