Author Topic: Will a Yamaha FC3A Sustain Pedal Work on SX900?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline jcook980

Will a Yamaha FC3A Sustain Pedal Work on SX900?
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:00:51 AM »
I gave my venerable P-150 digital piano to my grandson with its FC4A sustain pedal. I need a replacement sustain pedal so I was wondering if I sound buy the "half damper" FC3A pedal. According to some websites, it's compatible with the "PSR-S Series Arranger". I also use the sustain pedal on organ voices to change the rotary speaker speeds. I assume it could be used like any continuous controller.

Thanks!
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

Offline overover

Re: Will a Yamaha FC3A Sustain Pedal Work on SX900?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »
Hi jcook980,

The FC3A works with PSR-S / SX / Tyros models and Genos. But it does not give you any advantage over the FC4A, because the models mentioned do not have a "Half Damper" functionality. The FC3A will work just like the FC4A or the FC5 simply as a foot switch (On/Off).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcook980

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Chris,

Not too worried about half-dampering. If I change the foot pedal assignment to, say pitch bend or glide, will the FC3A function as continuous controller?

Thanks!
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »
Chris is correct; however it *does* add a couple of functions over the Fc4a: with the fc3 you can do analog pitch bends, and inconvenient volume control, for example. But he's correct; none of them use half damper on the piano. In practice you would never use an FC3 for volume control because you'd have to be an android to accurately control the 0-127 value with your foot pressure; the pitch bend on the pedal I use all the time (in my Bohemian Rhapsody video, for example).

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:27:09 PM »
Chris,

Not too worried about half-dampering. If I change the foot pedal assignment to, say pitch bend or glide, will the FC3A function as continuous controller? ...

Hi jcook980,

Yes, the FC3A is recognized as a adjustable "foot controller" (like an FC7 expression pedal) . Therefore, you could theoretically also control all functions with the FC3A that are marked with an asterisk ("*") in the "Assignable Functions" list (SX900 Reference Manual, from page 112). In many cases, however, this should not be ideal because, unlike an FC7, you cannot "leave it" at a certain value (as it always automatically returns to the zero position).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:55:30 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)