Author Topic: Registration Problem  (Read 2317 times)

Offline sunny

Registration Problem
« on: June 20, 2021, 03:50:23 PM »
Friends,
 When i played Yamaha PSR 740 before , I used to save my registrations quickly  during my live performance by pressing memory button and Registration button 1-4 and i used to copy registration one bank into other bank easily, no pop up message appeared whether to save the file or not.

But in Tyros5, and Genos keyboards, when ever i copy registrations and save to another bank, pop message appearing whether to say the file or not. It is causing very inconvenience during live performance and i have to wait few seconds without playing anything . I am facing this problem since i purchased Tyros5 and now in Genos also.

Is there any way to directly save the Registrations into another bank like old keyboards PSR 740 without getting pop up message to press yes or no ?

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:52:16 PM by sunny »

Offline vanzee

Re: Registration Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
Hi Sunny,
I don't think that can be change.
What is possible:
you can select the duration from the PopUp
in Genos > Utility > Display Touch screen > Popup Display time > select from 1,5" to 6,0" (and "Hold").
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »
Sunny,

The real question you need to be asking yourself is why you're copying registrations during a live performance. You should never have to do this.

You should have all your registrations set up beforehand, then all you have to do is select one either from the registration list, or a playlist.

You'll find your performances go a lot more smoothly, with a lot less stress, if you set up the registrations ahead of time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sunny

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »
Sunny,

The real question you need to be asking yourself is why you're copying registrations during a live performance. You should never have to do this.

You should have all your registrations set up beforehand, then all you have to do is select one either from the registration list, or a playlist.

You'll find your performances go a lot more smoothly, with a lot less stress, if you set up the registrations ahead of time.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred,
Why cant we have same way of  storing registration like old keyboards Psr 740 etc where we can directly copy and store our settings into another bank without any pop up message.

Sunny
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:06:46 PM by sunny »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »

... Why cant we have same way of  storing registration like old keyboards Psr 740 etc where we can directly copy and store our settings into another bank without any pop up message ...

Hi Sunny,

The PSR-740 had 32 Registration banks with 4 Registration buttons each, so it could manage a maximum of 128 individual Registrations. In addition, the parameters that were saved were fixed, so the user could not set them after pressing the Memory button. In addition, you could only export or import the complete Registration Memory (all 32 banks) on disk (keyword .USR file).

Nowadays we have a completely different Registration Memory system. Each Registration bank is saved as a separate file, and when you save a new bank you either have to enter a new or changed file name, or, if you want to overwrite the existing file, you have to confirm this with Yes. Such security queries are common in all computer systems.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:40:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:38:18 PM »
Sunny, the operating system has changed. Personally, I think Yamaha needs to get rid of the useless prompts like Save here. It seems we have to answer a bunch of questions for the simplest functions. For saving, copy, and pasting, Yamaha should use a more conventional system like the way Windows works.

Meanwhile, I fully agree with Fred. Do all your preparations at home and don't be making major changes on stage. That can become a problem.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 11:05:03 PM »
Hi Fred,
Why cant we have same way of  storing registration like old keyboards Psr 740 etc where we can directly copy and store our settings into another bank without any pop up message.

Only Yamaha can answer that question.

We can answer questions like "How do I make my life less stressful when I'm on a gig?"

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 06:34:28 PM »
When the 740 was current, there was only the fixed array user memory for Registration saving (ie you couldn't add more); they didn't really have to ask where to save; there was only 1 user memory. Now you can have user, USB1, USB2, etc so yes, it's going to take an extra button press at least. And since there's no file undo, they also need to make sure you're not overwriting an important file. Fred is 100% correct; why on earth are you changing registrations *while* performing? The whole point is to have all your settings pre-saved and then just call them up as needed.

Also, if you recall, you had to save all the registrations banks in one go onto a floppy drive; and if you wanted to load a song or style you couldn't read it from the disk, you had to copy the file into the one of a handful of user memory slots for songs (I think styles worked the same way; it's been a while since I've had a 640/740 in front of me). *That* was inconvenient! I was very glad when they changed the OS to the (still in use) non-touchscreen file i/o where you could load from your usb/floppy without having to erase the user memory song/style first!

Offline sunny

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »
When the 740 was current, there was only the fixed array user memory for Registration saving (ie you couldn't add more); they didn't really have to ask where to save; there was only 1 user memory. Now you can have user, USB1, USB2, etc so yes, it's going to take an extra button press at least. And since there's no file undo, they also need to make sure you're not overwriting an important file. Fred is 100% correct; why on earth are you changing registrations *while* performing? The whole point is to have all your settings pre-saved and then just call them up as needed.

Also, if you recall, you had to save all the registrations banks in one go onto a floppy drive; and if you wanted to load a song or style you couldn't read it from the disk, you had to copy the file into the one of a handful of user memory slots for songs (I think styles worked the same way; it's been a while since I've had a 640/740 in front of me). *That* was inconvenient! I was very glad when they changed the OS to the (still in use) non-touchscreen file i/o where you could load from your usb/floppy without having to erase the user memory song/style first!

Please note that Genos keyboard is not only meant for Home users, it is used worldwide for Live performance. All the features of Genos keyboard are convenient and very easy to use for live performance except Registration saving.
When we played Tyros5 keyboard for live performance, we are lacking Joystick and limited number of Registrations 10 and no tempo lock . We requested Yamaha to include Joystick, number of limited Registrations buttons 8 and lack of style temp lock feature, Yamaha considered our request and included all the requested features in Genos. We hope they will make the Registration feature more convenient for live players like providing two optione either to save Registration directly without any pop up message and other option to save registration by confirmation.

Sunny.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:03:47 AM by sunny »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
We hear what you are saying, Sunny.

But to be honest nobody really understands *why* you want to save registrations during a performance. It just doesn't make any sense, so it's really unlikely that Yamaha will do anything about it.

It would be interesting to everyone if you could explain *why* you find that you need to save (i.e. change) registrations during a performance. Either we will learn something or you will :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 11:17:16 AM »
The whole point of registrations is that you can set everything up before a gig. I too would like to know why you want to ghange a registration on the fly. Older keyboard models had much less features, so everything was a bit simpler.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page