Author Topic: Chord Looper... Do you use?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Enildo

Chord Looper... Do you use?
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »
Hi everyone!

After 2 years, does anyone use the "Chord Looper" for a song or in any situation?

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline metcam

Re: Chord Looper... Do you use?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
 Not at all!

Best regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »
Neither did I ... 🤓
Wonder if I ever will ... 😜

Best regards,  JH

Online ckobu

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
I don’t use a choord looper in a live gig.
 It occurred to me that it could be used as an aid in creating a SONG. The video has English subtitles.

https://youtu.be/-BljSgJEB6w
Watch my video channel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »
It can be very useful to sequence your chord sections and then play two handed piano over the top. Another use is if you have a piece of music with very tricky chord changes in part of it you can use Chord looper to pre record this section and use it when playing that song. Remember you can use any style with it plus the intro's and Ending's as it just records the chord information and nothing else.

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
It's handy for me with a tune that uses simple, quick, repetitive chord changes.  I set up the loop (usually on the fly) which then frees up my left hand to use the joystick. 

Offline Enildo

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »
I know it's an amazing feature, but in practice I think almost no one uses it.
I was wondering what need I would use the "Chord Loooper" in a live performance and I couldn't imagine anything.
Of course my example doesn't fit all, but I think it's an unused resource in everyday life.

Enildo

Offline hans1966

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
Hi Enildo, in this song fragment I am using the Chord Loop, so that I can play the string section on the keyboard with both hands.

regards

Hans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPDdTE_GxI
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 03:07:37 PM »
Hi Enildo, in this song fragment I am using the Chord Loop, so that I can play the string section on the keyboard with both hands.

regards

Hans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPDdTE_GxI

Thank you Hans! Good example!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »
I use it when I want to hear chords I can’t handle (especially on bass), or when chord changes are too fast, or when I want to do something else with my left hand.

If I use it, I use it fir the whole song.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 09:18:01 PM »
Interesting to know why most people are using
this chord looper.

Thank you all for your feedback. 👍👍👍

Maybe Yamaha might continue to produce this tool in the near future, who knows.

JH

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
I never use it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »
I use it on occasion, but just for fun, and although I find it a little confusing, I can see where it would be great for difficult chords, and to free up the left hand. I just need to get into it more, it's a bit of a learning curve, at least for me.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline TerryE54

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »
I find it useful to record a difficult chord sequence section slowly then use it at the correct speed to hear how it should sound when you play normally. Especially when you are learning a new song.
I have tried to use when playing a song but find it a bit difficult to use 'on the fly'.
A good upgrade would be to provide a means to set up a sequence to play each loop similar to registration sequences, you could then set a sequence to play each section a number of times e.g. If the first loop is required twice, the second loop three times and the third twice you could set a sequence of 1122233, that then leaves your hands free during the playing of the song to concentrate on other things! As far as I can work out there doesn't seem stop be a facility to do this as I suppose the expectation is that you would record a song and play it back as a backing track.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
I find it useful to record a difficult chord sequence section slowly then use it at the correct speed to hear how it should sound when you play normally. Especially when you are learning a new song.
I have tried to use when playing a song but find it a bit difficult to use 'on the fly'.
A good upgrade would be to provide a means to set up a sequence to play each loop similar to registration sequences, you could then set a sequence to play each section a number of times e.g. If the first loop is required twice, the second loop three times and the third twice you could set a sequence of 1122233, that then leaves your hands free during the playing of the song to concentrate on other things! As far as I can work out there doesn't seem stop be a facility to do this as I suppose the expectation is that you would record a song and play it back as a backing track.

Well, as you said, the facility is the registration sequencer. You just put each loop in a registration, and use its sequencer.

The other option is to create a chord looper for the entire song. That leaves your left hand free for other things.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: TerryE54

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
Hi TerryE54,

Please note that the "Chord Looper" checkmark must be ticked when memorizing Registrations in order to save the current Chord Looper settings.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: TerryE54

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 11:07:54 PM »
Chord looper is similar to a guitar looper, but the later is much more flexible allowing user to continue to keep overdub on subsequent plays of the loop. Once "recording is stopped", the recorded part will keep playing in a loop allowing the guitarist to play solo.
I would use it this way, in a live play situation:
1) activate chord looper on the part of the song (when singer is singing) and you are playing accompaniment, this way, the accomp. for this section if recorded
2) when the singer pauses for the interlude, you play the chord sequence and using both hands to play melody+other stuffs making a RICH solo (that's the main advantage of chord looper).
3) when this soloing is done, go back to normal accomp. play for singer to continue.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Floodie

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 11:26:42 PM »
It can be very useful to sequence your chord sections and then play two handed piano over the top. Another use is if you have a piece of music with very tricky chord changes in part of it you can use Chord looper to pre record this section and use it when playing that song. Remember you can use any style with it plus the intro's and Ending's as it just records the chord information and nothing else.

I think you should'nt make any chord changes during Intros and Endings, maybe start Looper after Intro?

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »
I use it constantly but as preset sequence. Have many songs with CL saved this way for each section of the song. Would love to have a live looper type ability similar to a Boss Loop Station pedal.

Offline Pityus

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 12:36:12 PM »
It would be good if a complex chord could be repaired afterwards.
For example, just rewrite another bass start.
It’s annoying that this can’t be done just by doing it all over again.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »
Yes Floodie,
  Of course you would only start the chord looper at the place in the song you wanted it. Just use the intro as you normally would.