Author Topic: Genos and Windows 11  (Read 8863 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos and Windows 11
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »
Hi To All

Does anyone know what the new Windows 11 will be bringing to music production ??
All i have read about is new rounding off corners file folders and stupid things like that. Also everything changing positions like a Marks and Spencer store with food
I think it is due out next week
I will change over once all the beta tester guinea pigs have had there go.
always best to wait six months so bugs can be ironed out.
Might be the end of vst 2

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Bachus

Re: Genos and Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »
Much to early to answer that question..

There are barely any details known about the new OS..

Don’t think there is huge changes to be expected for users

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
Oh no! There goes my sleep again! More hair to pull out!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
It is NOT due out next week!  June 24 is supposedly the official announcement from Microsoft.
Windows 11 in it's early form was leaked by someone, surely needs a lot more polishing LOL
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
I agree with John. Wait at least 3 months (or longer) to see what headaches everyone faces by yet another group of marketing people who have been ordered to shore up the revenue stream of a company, at the overwhelming inconvenience of its users, instead of fixing the multitude of bugs they left unfixed in their previous release!

John, you use Cubase, right? I assume their developers will test Cubase against Windows 11. I didn't even know there was a new Windows coming out! You're right though. The first thing they'll do is move everything around so you can't find what you need, and then they'll rename everything.

It's like when MS bought out Hotmail and renamed it Outlook. Whenever you look on the net for help with Outlook, they almost NEVER tell you whether they are writing the help file with regards to the Desktop or Server version!! They are different in so many ways.

I'm a musician but also a technical writer and technical writing instructor. One of our rules is to, "Never force your users to fill in the blanks. Explain everything clearly!!" If only these developers would keep that in mind when they "improve" software ::).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »
The audio will be still handled by UAA (Universal Audio Architecture). So all your hardware and software, which works on Windows 10, will work without problems on Windows 11. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but that is mostly caused by software or drivers which does not conform correctly to UAA.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
Hope I can keep Win10 for a very long time though. 🙄

Win10 works very well, especially for music progs like XGW and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I remember Win8 was not such a success. 😜

Let us keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. 🤩

Best wishes, JH

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »
https://youtu.be/odZSCdNTFPw

I trust Linus Tech Tips.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 10:57:57 PM »
After looking at what the new features will be for Windows 11, it all seems to be cosmetic and nothing that will make a big impact at all.

Perhaps the leak only had some of the information and is not complete.

Rick D.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 07:02:43 AM »

Will a Win11 upgrade/update be free for a limited period of time ?

Microsoft were offering this nice present when they introduced Win10, right ?
Wishful thinking this time ... 🤔

Wait and see,  JH

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 07:27:34 AM »
Yes, the upgrade to Windows 11 will be probably free from Windows 7 and onwards.
https://www.xda-developers.com/you-may-be-able-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-11-for-free/
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline wersianer

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Microsoft will actually be introducing Windows 11 shortly. But this is more like a kind of Windows 10+.
In principle, however, this is Windows 10 with a prettied surface, under the hood little or nothing will change. The "new" taskbar is the most important innovation. The icons are positioned in the middle, which makes the whole thing reminiscent of MacOS. However, as with Windows 10, icons and the Windows logo (and thus the start menu) can also be left-justified.
It is also likely that Windows 11 will be free for users of Windows 10, 8.1 and even 7. After all, Microsoft repeatedly emphasizes how many Windows 10 users you have, so this number seems to be very important to the company. In the course of the publication, Microsoft should also want to motivate users of old operating systems such as Windows 7 to switch again - also for security reasons.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 01:07:12 PM »
Microsoft will actually be introducing Windows 11 shortly. But this is more like a kind of Windows 10+.
In principle, however, this is Windows 10 with a prettied surface, under the hood little or nothing will change. The "new" taskbar is the most important innovation. The icons are positioned in the middle, which makes the whole thing reminiscent of MacOS. However, as with Windows 10, icons and the Windows logo (and thus the start menu) can also be left-justified.
It is also likely that Windows 11 will be free for users of Windows 10, 8.1 and even 7. After all, Microsoft repeatedly emphasizes how many Windows 10 users you have, so this number seems to be very important to the company. In the course of the publication, Microsoft should also want to motivate users of old operating systems such as Windows 7 to switch again - also for security reasons.
Good point. It's also likely that someday newer software will not work with legacy Windows versions. You'll need at least Windows 10 or later. That won't be for some time but it's likely coming.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »
Does that mean a free home version win11 might be available for win10 and win7 owners or... not known yet ?

Cross my fingers.
Best wishes, JH

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 09:31:42 PM »
From what I've read Windows 11 is still Windows 10 (the last Windows version) ... it's just an upgrade.  It may be called something else other than Windows 11.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 12:10:54 AM »
I live in fear of every update, because I use the magnifying program ZoomText. Without it I am totally blind on the PC. A couple of months back win 10 had an upgrade, and ZoomText stopped working. I had to apply for a new paid version. AND HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! Making me crazy! Sorry for the rant friends, but this was not good news for me...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:59:02 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 01:09:33 AM »
I feel your pain, Torril.

What the heck is win 10 "hsf sn?" Everyone on the planet is starting to use short forms for virtually everything. Can I get a dictionary so I can learn linguistics all over again ::)?! The last time I had to do that was in 1959.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 04:23:59 AM »
Re-reading the post, I think "Win 10 hsf sn upgrade" should have been typed as "Win 10 had an upgrade" based on that the funky letters are right next to what I believe are the intended letters on the keyboard.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »
I really understand Toril's feelings and emotions.🤔

Many people share the same fears when an upgrade is in the air.
If an upgrade is improving and interesting then it is welcome but not necessary IMHO.

Hope for the BEST but never shoot a winning horse.
JH

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
It was just a typo friends😀 Had an upgrade it should be😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 12:33:07 PM »
Have not heard anything about Windows 11 here in the UK. Not even a whisper.

Genos!

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
Toril, really? Vultures.

Buy a small NAS backup that's recoverable from payware/malware/viruses/rootkits.

Do a complete backup and turn off/refuse ALL of your updates.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »
Hi
No matter what happens, a new Windows will supersede the last
We all have to go with the flow nowadays as each program that comes on to the scene will eat up more ram and eventually you will have get a new computer.
Things can only get better and i now do not mind what the future holds and Bill Gates will love making more millions out of us. :P ;D
A new Genos or whatever will be coming :)

We cannot stop progress or decline.

All the best
John

ps--- But what is said above is imperitive to each and everyone of us that has a computer  "MAKE A CLONE OF YOUR DRIVE . YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK IF THINGS DO NOT WORK OUT" :) 8) I use a combination of Norton 360 and Malwarebytes and when making total backups you have all the lot including the updates from when you backed up.
Never had any hack or trojans etc. Just use one computer just for music and another for general internet.
When using the music computer, turn off all anti -virus software etc and click the internet off. Only turn on for updates and specify when you want an update not automatic.
Always leave updates for at least a month to see if any bad things occur and if good update.
Just my half pennies worth  :)  I also would say keep your updates up as if not you may possibly have vst or Daw problems or security problems.
I do find that having the internet linked to your music computer is helpful for downloads and essential updates. No problem if you have a fast computer. Just knock the anti-vrus and internet connection  off whilst using a Daw and vst ,Yem etc
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:52:18 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
Do a complete backup and turn off/refuse ALL of your updates.
I would not recommend that, because then you'll also miss the essential security updates and patches.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
Very true Robert.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
Hi,

After reading all your comments I have decided to wait for at least 6 months before installing the win11 upgrade.

The installation of win10 updates will be continued as long as win10 will be my operational os. Thank you, Robert ! 😀

During this " transitional period " I will read all your forum win11 comments before final installation will follow.

Thank you for all your future win11 feedback. 👌

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:09:29 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:58 PM »
Jeff, thanks for telling me about Win 11. I didn't even know it was coming :o! I'll do the same - wait.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 09:47:38 PM »
So will I!!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 12:23:04 AM »
The OFFICIAL news from Microsoft will be a live streamed Event on Thursday June 24, at 11 AM EST.
Here's a link if you want to watch it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/event

It's always been a good idea, through many various OS's,  to "wait and see" on these updates.
Hopefully, we'll get the details and release timing, and can make plans accordingly!

Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Joe H

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 04:15:51 AM »
... It's always been a good idea, through many various OS's,  to "wait and see" on these updates.
Hopefully, we'll get the details and release timing, and can make plans accordingly!

Jerry

You may not get to "wait and see". Usually Win 10 updates are automatic with new "Apps" and other features/upgrades.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 04:35:34 AM »
You may not get to "wait and see". Usually Win 10 updates are automatic with new "Apps" and other features/upgrades.

Installation of a new OS is not automatic. That’s why they’re calling it Win11. It won’t be installed automatically.

But when it’s available, I’ll be happy to install it.

Cheers,
Frec
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
I live in fear of every update, because I use the magnifying program ZoomText. Without it I am totally blind on the PC. A couple of months back win 10 had an upgrade, and ZoomText stopped working. I had to apply for a new paid version. AND HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! Making me crazy! Sorry for the rant friends, but this was not good news for me...

Hi Toril,

As a  8) err collegue I SO understand what you are saying. One moment everything works fine and then after yet another  underwater update some things suddenly don't, leaving you pulling your hair wondering what the #### you might have (mis)clicked or did wrong this time.

I think though that Windows 11 will not be forced upon you since it is not an update but more of an upgrade so to speak. Support for Windows 10 will be continued by Microsoft for quite a while (they always do that when a new OS is released) You will need to willingly choose for Windows 11 for it to be installed on your pc it will not be mandatory or unavoidable like with windows 10 home edition updates.

As others already mentioned here: Wait and do not go for Windows 11 right away. After a few weeks to 2 months of Windows 11 hitting the public market simply ask Zoomtext firm and other accesibility software firms if you use them. They will not only be able to answer your zoomtext quetions but also if and if so which accesibility options were changed/added or not there anymore.

regards,
Peter

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:41:35 AM by XeeniX »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 12:55:23 PM »

Joe H

Hi Joe
You can set windows to not update.
I do this as a matter of course and wait to see if the bugs are sorted.

All the best
John :)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
Hi,

After reading all your comments I have decided to wait for at least 6 months before installing the win11 upgrade.

The installation of win10 updates will be continued as long as win10 will be my operational os. Thank you, Robert ! 😀

During this " transitional period " I will read all your forum win11 comments before final installation will follow.

Thank you for all your future win11 feedback. 👌

Best wishes, JH

Hi Jeff
It is wise to wait and let the beta lemmings in first.
About a couple of months should see things out
I always look at the music forums and around the internet  to see if musicians are happy with the new programs that come out.
Also i do not worry as i always have a complete backup of everything (System Image),so i can always go back.
I have no problem with Windows 10 System Imaging and backup. All works great. A must is not to rename your System Image files to a favourite name . keep them on the drive that you save them to as originally made,or your computer will not find them ;D . In other word Mr computer may suffer memory loss!! ::) ;D ;D

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
We must be careful using the word update. We've used it in this thread to refer to two different things:
  • The move from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This is not an update per se. It is an upgrade.
  • Security and other patches sent by MS that involves Windows 10 only. This is an update.

Clarification
  • An upgrade to Windows 11 is optional.
  • All Windows 10 updates are obligatory, although they do offer some updates that are optional. Users have the choice of when to install the updates, depending on which Windows 10 version you own.

Please feel free to chime in if you think I'm talking through my hat. It's happened before :o.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »
For John.

I recently read where MS is not going to offer their System Image software much longer because they have admitted it's not entirely reliable. After much research, I discovered that one of the best replacement backup programs is Macrium Reflect found at https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. It's very robust and the good news is, it's free ;)!!

I recently used it to image my C drive to a larger new one. I'd consider switching.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »
Hi  :

My new desk top is used to make music.
My 3 keyboards  ( incl. all the music software ) are connected and/or installed there.
For the time being only win10 will be applicable here.
No win upgrade in the next coming months.

But I still have a two years old win10 laptop.

It is my intention to upgrade from win10 to win11 as soon as this new OS will be available on the market 
( for sale or free ? ) .

I want to know, understand and learn win11 to be able to talk about win11 with other members of this forum, if needed.

It would be very useful and interesting if PJ could tell us more about win11.
His comments are always👌👍👍👍.

Best regards,  JH
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:32:20 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »
Folks,  I just saw the Microsoft announcement event. 

A lot of Public Relations language, sales hype, but actually not much in the way of concrete details!

It's "free", but I didn't catch WHICH operating systems are available for upgrade! We can assume Win10, but not sure about any others others.
The Live Stream was constantly dropping out on Microsoft's site, so I switched to TechRadar.com
I may have missed some details, but apparently it will be available for "Holiday 2021" season. (No specific date that I heard)

But.........  get ready for the real fun and games.....  there is a tool you can download from Microsoft that will check if your PC can even run Win11!!!
Surprise!  The tool said my PC could NOT run Win11!   Quite surprised, I have a rather high end PC that I built myself with 32GB RAM, SOlid State drives, graphics card, etc.   It did not give me details as to WHY it thinks my PC can't run Win11.   Let's see how this all comes out as more people get "surprised" LOL

There really wasn't much detail that wasn't already leaked onto the Internet, again, we'll have to see how pundits tear into this deeper.
Jerry

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
Thank you for your great feedback,  Jerry ! 👌

It is very good news to hear win11 will be free of charge.😀

Have you any idea when the free win11 download will be available on the internet ?

Thank you for your reply, JH

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2021, 05:41:32 PM »
Same here Jerry. My video feed crashed several times in the first five minutes of the narrator's nauseating home pictures and how Windows 11 inspires our relationship to our everyday lives. Just tell us what the heck it does and forget all the extra junk!!!!!! Rounded window corners and centered taskbar icons aren't going to cut it alone.

It really doesn't inspire me to download the program when its developer can't even produce a decent and informative video that crashes every few minutes  ::)! Then again, we're talking about Microsoft :-[.

Edit
Like Jerry, i just downloaded the tool to see if my PC will run Windows 11. It won't. Mine is on par with Jerry's except I have 48GB of RAM. Microsoft, you're like a sick joke ;D.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:48:06 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »
Jeff,

There was no specific date mentioned for when it's available to download it.

A little more info --- the PC Health checker can be downloaded at:   https://t.co/hJ7fYBlb51?amp=1

If your system passes, it says "You can download Win11 -- when it's available" 
I'm still trying to figure out why it thinks my system can't run it.   I  "think" it might be a requirement for   TPM 2.0
That's  "Trusted Platform Module"   --- not sure if it can be added to a system, it might be part of the motherboard.

Jerry

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:37 PM »
Lee,
Yes, indeed, it was a bit nauseating with the emphasis on how you "need" Win11!!! LOL

It looks nice, but we're still left wondering just what the specific details are. Stay tuned.
Jerry 

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-11-system-requirements-are-bad-news-for-old-laptops-and-pcs

More detailed news is being reported on all the technology sites.
This article was just posted on TechRadar.com, they are reporting more concrete requirements and details on Win11.

Interestingly, they indicate that the PC Health checker is not accurate, so for now, don't believe it just yet!
We need an update to the update checker!! LOL   Isn't this stuff FUN???

Jerry

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
Thanks Jerry. So, MS can't produce a video that won't crash and their assessment tool is broken too. It really doesn't inspire me to sign up ???!!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:49 AM »

Apparently Win11 will be available in The Netherlands as of late 2021 or even early 2022.

Win10 updates would end in 2025.

Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:05:03 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFCeCPpfnhQ&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

WHY did I get my hopes up? - Windows 11 Announcement ( Linus Tech Tips )
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline DerekA

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »

I'm still trying to figure out why it thinks my system can't run it.   I  "think" it might be a requirement for   TPM 2.0
That's  "Trusted Platform Module"   --- not sure if it can be added to a system, it might be part of the motherboard.

Jerry

If you use Windows+R to open the Run window and run tpm.msc, it will tell you if you have TPM available. ( I don't! )
Genos

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
TPM is not required, despite the fact that the Health Check App suggest this. TPM is only needed when you use enterprise features like Bitlocker.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »
Derek, Robert,

"The Devil's in the details"!!  The marketing hype that Microsoft put on yesterday did not explain Win11 requirements.
The details are buried in documents on their website though.

After researching this more than I really cared to do, there are some potential pitfalls.
Yes, TPM 2.0, and "Secure Boot mode" are listed as requirements.  Both of them are settings in your motherboard BIOS setup.
I built my own PC from scratch 6 years ago, with the best components at the time. There was no reason for me to turn on these features.

Once I turned on both of these features, and ran tpm.msc  it showed that TPM 2.0 status was ready.  It also shows up in Device Manager.
Yet, the Health Checker still said that my PC can't run Win11.    There is something else that's an issue ---- my CPU!

Take a look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

The 6th and 7th generation CPUs are not on the list!   I have a Skylake i7-6700K, which has 4 cores, 8 threads, and runs everything fine on Win 10.
But that's a 6th Gen. CPU, and I'm pretty sure that's why the Health Checker fails. I have no idea why Microsoft has left off Gen. 6 and 7.

Well, it's still early in this release, people are already talking about possible "workarounds" to get this to work. We'll just have to see what happens.
I could buy a new CPU chip with Gen. 8 or 9, but that's several hundred dollars  ---- to replace a perfectly good component!
Jerry

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
This discussion belongs in a Microsoft Windows 11 forum, not Genos, as it has not been released yet, no one knows how and if it will affect the Genos, and as Windows 10 and Genos are working together like symbiosis, there is no pressing reason to change to Windows 11, IMHO suddenly.

:)
Uday