Author Topic: Tyros 5 Optional speakers with subwoofer  (Read 2569 times)

Offline robs68

Tyros 5 Optional speakers with subwoofer
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »
I have a Tyros 5 with the Yamaha Tryros5 satellite speaker and subwoofer.  Planning a trip and was wonder if I could only use the  2 Tryos5  Satellite speakers without  the subwoofer to save hauling it.
I know that the headphones work independently without any speakers or sub connected.

Thank you!

Offline overover

Re: Tyros 5 Optional speakers with subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 01:04:22 AM »
Hi robs68,

no, you cannot use only the satellite speakers of the TRS-MS05 system, as all (three) power amplifiers are built in the Subwoofer. The satellites are only passive speakers.

Therefore you need a pair of active (self-powered) speakers.

Such active speakers are available in many different sizes and price ranges. A basic distinction is made between PA speakers and studio monitor speakers. Yamaha has, for example, just introduced the new MSP3A monitor speakers:
>>> https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/msp3a/index.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:16:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline robs68

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 02:00:00 AM »
Thank you Chris, much appreciated!
Rob

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:24:10 PM »
I have the older version of these and they are very good. Lovely sound.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
I have the older version of these and they are very good. Lovely sound.

I have the slightly larger Yamaha "MSP5 Studio" speakers, which also have a very good sound. Unfortunately this model has been discontinued.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline RONBO

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 02:45:58 PM »
I have a set of Bose Companion 2 speakers.  They were cheap for a Bose product and work very well.

Plug them into audio out or headphone jack.

Regards,

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:04:29 PM »
So many great quality choices in small active speakers nowadays at reasonable cost. I have a pair of Fluid Audio F4, cost $140 for the pair and they are incredible at this price, - clean sound, good bass for the size and quite powerful. Used them once for a noisy party of about 60 people in a medium venue and they coped easily. But there are many, many similar good choices.
Mike