Author Topic: Pitch bend wheel potentiometer replacement?  (Read 3448 times)

Pitch bend wheel potentiometer replacement?
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:30:17 PM »
The pot got stuck after I had some fun with the guitar solo in "nothing else matters". I didn't really give it a beating or anything.. But it totally locked up - cannot move it at all manually.

So I dissambled the keyboard and it is just a normal alps potmeter of course - but I just can't find the right part. Does anyone know of a replacement part?

It says "10K-some-chinese-character 332G" on the original.
I'm assuming its 10KΩ and linear but I have no idea about the rest and what 332G means.

I bought this one but the flat part is upside down in the "neutral" position (and I also think it turns to much).

(Yes, I took the pot apart and it looked fine, so not sure what went wrong with it)

Re: Pitch bend wheel potentiometer replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »
Oh well, I ordered this one. Asked the seller, he said it fits T5 as well and updated the item details so it also includes T5 now.

It will probably be ~$50 with tax and import duty, but I can't wait any longer.
A lot of money for a $1 part 8)

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:52:31 PM »
Hi Ronson,

$50 is really a lot of money for such a potentiometer.

Unfortunately I missed your original post. The T5 Pitch Bend poti (and also the Modulation poti) has the following Yamaha type designation:

Part No.                                  Description                                                                      Remarks
VT69510R         ROTARY VARIABLE RESISTOR      SP. 10.0K RK16311              PITCH BEND, MODULATION

At the German company "www.audio-service.com" this spare part costs 7.10 euros, but delivery times are possible. (See also the attached picture.)

At the Polish company "musicservice.pl" the poti costs 19 zloty (about 4.20 euros or about 5 US $):
>>> https://store.musicservice.pl/szukaj.html/szukaj=VT69510R

At the moment I am not aware of any other sources of supply for Yamaha spare parts (I live in Germany). But normally the Yamaha branch in the country concerned can help in such cases. Even larger music stores that sell Yamaha keyboards often know where to order spare parts (or even have parts that are often needed in stock).

Best regards.
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:53:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 11:38:22 AM »
Hi Ronson,

Thanks Chris.
I got the same answer from Yamaha today actually  :)

Unfortunately, you can not buy it directly from us, but it must go through a dealer.
Art.nr. on the potentiometer is
VT69510R ROTARY VARIABLE RESISTOR 10.0K
and it is in stock. It's the same pot for way pitch bend and modulation.

Also found this seller

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, Ronson!

I hope your Tyros5 can be repaired soon!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Unfortunately the pot from Israel did not work. As with the other pot I bought it was "upside down"..
Seller says he sold this part before, but I simply don't see how I can mount it, as the neutral position of the know should be turned 180° around so the flat part is in the opposite direction.

After exchanging a lot of messages and pictures he has now refunded the money (minus import duty), but he still claims he sold this part before. Don't know how they managed to mount it.. Or maybe he just sent me the wrong part.

Anyway, I will go ahead and buy yet another pot from within EU this time.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:08 PM »
Hi Ronson,

It's a shame that the part you ordered didn't fit.

I've attached a picture of the potentiometer in question. It comes from the above-mentioned German company "Audio-Service Schierbecker" in Hamburg (www.audio-service.com).

The other two pictures come from the T5 Service Manual and show details of the "Wheel Assembly".

Note: After installing the new potentiometer, the internal Test Program should be started and the "037 Pitch Bend Wheel Check" test carried out to ensure that the center position of the wheel is properly recognized and that the correct values are generated (minimum = 0, center = 130, maximum = 255).

If you do not have the T5 Service Manual or if you need details on how to use the internal Test Program, you are welcome to contact me via PN (personal message).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
I think it would be helpful to upload the service manual to PSRtutorial's library: https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/ServiceManuals/

The other two pictures come from the T5 Service Manual and show details of the "Wheel Assembly".
This shows exactly why I can't mount it when the flat part is on the bottom 8)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:19:37 PM by RonsonDenmark »

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
Ordered and got the pot from audio-service.com and it fits and works. Finally.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »
Ordered and got the pot from audio-service.com and it fits and works. Finally.

Thanks for this info, Ronson! I am happy that it finally works!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
Nice work! I doff my hat -- pj