Author Topic: How memorize on OTS the Right3 split and octave settings  (Read 3077 times)

How memorize on OTS the Right3 split and octave settings
« on: June 11, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
Dear friends,

I read various discussions about the voices split, and repeatedly searched in both the User and Reference Manuals, but did not find an answer to the problem I'm describing below.

In Style mode, my goal is to memorize:
-OTS1  Right1, a guitar, standard split
-OTS2  Right1+Right2, Mandolini Tremolo (Tuned 0 and +1): central octaves
           Right3, Girls voice, upper octave (this way the choir may "answer" to the mandolini, as the mandolini and the choir play
           separately, not at the same time)
-OTS3  Right1+Right2, SuperMusette and SteirischeHarmonika: central octaves
           Right3, Girls voice, upper octave (this way the choir may "answer" to accordions, as for OTS2)
-OTS4  Right1+2+3, Piano, Girls 0, Girls +1, all the same standard split.

To get that, each OTS at a time, I make the related settings as above. Then SAVE as OTS, making sure that Style and Voice groups are selected.
Registration Freeze is off.

Unfortunately, it does not work: when I move from OTS4 to OTS2 (or to OTS3), it will keep the OTS4 split (Right1+2+4, same split point).
It looks like Genos "remembers" the last split setting, without considering the settings I had done before on other OTS. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, either I'm non doing something needed.

Any help?

Thank you,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: How memorize on OTS the Right3 split and octave settings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
You need to use registrations todo what you want. They’re actually easier than OTS, and much more powerful.

Cheers,
Frdd
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:03:05 PM »
You cannot save split points in OTS. As Fred says, the registrations can save much more settings than OTS.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
First of all, THANK YOU for the kind and prompt (I could say "immediate"!) answers.

Ok: registration.

My doubt about Registrations refers to the fact that I work a lot on editing styles. And this aptitude brings a continuous change of the styles location in the data base (adding new styles, deleting styles, renaming styles, ecc.).

If I use Registrations, do I risk to have style different from the one I saved, if that style has changed location?

Thank you

Angelo
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 03:03:13 PM »
Tried with 4 Registrations, but the problem stays the same:
the last split point recorded affects also the other Registrations, previously memorized with a different split point...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 03:08:28 PM »
If you change the style location from where it was when you set up the registration bank then it will not be found. You need to set up a folder with all the styles you want in your registration banks and keep them there. Work on the other styles that are not in this folder.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »
Make sure you have not got split point ticked in your parameter lock.

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
Tried with 4 Registrations, but the problem stays the same:
the last split point recorded affects also the other Registrations, previously memorized with a different split point...

Hi Angelo,

the current Split Point settings are always automatically saved when memorizing a Registration (Style and Left split points when the STYLE checkbox is ticked, Right3 split point when the VOICE checkbox is ticked in the MEMORY window).

And, as mentioned by Eileen before, if you want to change Split Points by Registrations, please make sure "Split Point" is NOT ticked in "Parameter Lock"!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks so much to all of you: it works with Registrations! Each one of your advise has been very effective.
Before I was changing variation by using the variations button.... Now I learned to use the Registration buttons to change variation, and it works fine, including the fill-in.

About dummies, as I am, the only leftover question regards the problem of the "stability" of the source styles that the Registration points to.
I understand that (thank, Eileen) I could make a source styles folder, where to put the styles the Registrations are going to point to.
BUT also in that folder there will be changes in the position, any time I will add another style to be played trough Registrations, or when deleting a style.

Am i still missing something?

Thank you for your patience.... ::)

Angelo

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »
... the only leftover question regards the problem of the "stability" of the source styles that the Registration points to.
I understand that (thank, Eileen) I could make a source styles folder, where to put the styles the Registrations are going to point to.
BUT also in that folder there will be changes in the position, any time I will add another style to be played trough Registrations, or when deleting a style.

Am i still missing something? ...

Thank you for your feedback, Angelo!

The exact "position" on which a certain file is shown in a particular file selection display doesn't matter, since the so called "file path" is linked in Registrations.

Just make sure not to move or rename files or change the icon (!) of files that are used in Registrations. And also the folders/subfolders in which these files are stored may no longer be renamed afterwards.

Examples for file paths:

If the Style "My Style.STY" is stored in the folder "Reg Styles" on the first connected USB stick (USB1), the resulting file path stored in Registrations would be:
"I:/Reg Styles/My Style.STY"

If the same Style is stored in the folder "Reg Styles" in the internal USER drive, the file path stored in Registrations would be:
"C:/STYLE/Reg Styles/My Style.STY"

As you can see, in USER drive there are addional System folders for each file type (in this case the folder "STYLE").

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:24:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
p
About dummies, as I am, the only leftover question regards the problem of the "stability" of the source styles that the Registration points to.

Registrations are pretty simple, Angelo. They will remember where you told them the style was. They will always look in that place for the style. If you move, or rename, the style, you just need to re-memorize the registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
Chris,

your explanation is VERY detailed and clear. Now I got it the concept, first time in my experience with Yamaha arrangers!

If I am right, the main factor is that the "source" style ("MyStyle.sty" in your example) will remain in the same folder (with unchanged folder name and folder path position), without changing its name and icon.
If I am right, if I add or erase another style within the "RegistrationStyles", that will not bother the Registration for pointing to the correct source style, since the registration memorizes the full PATH.

I must say that to me this makes a complete discovery, that allows me to organize much better all of my lay-out, also getting the chance to utilize the various search tools allowed to Registrations. Fantastic!

Your explanation should be in the Yamaha manuals.... really.

Fred, your post was useful also. Now I got the concept of Eileen suggestion.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara are waiting for you in Roma  :D

Thank you so much,

Angelo

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »
Dear friends,

here is the link to the song I was able to play thank to your suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsCt19GspM

Apologize for some mistake...... :)

Ciao,

Angelo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »
A beautiful rendition Angelo!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
Chris,

your explanation is VERY detailed and clear. Now I got it the concept, first time in my experience with Yamaha arrangers!

If I am right, the main factor is that the "source" style ("MyStyle.sty" in your example) will remain in the same folder (with unchanged folder name and folder path position), without changing its name and icon.
If I am right, if I add or erase another style within the "RegistrationStyles", that will not bother the Registration for pointing to the correct source style, since the registration memorizes the full PATH. ...

Spaghetti alla Carbonara are waiting for you in Roma  :D

Thank you so much,

Angelo

Thank you for your kind feedback, Angelo!

Just as a "precaution": Of course you always can ADD other Styles to your folder "RegistrationStyles". But if you DELETE a Style from that folder, you have to make sure that this Style is really no longer needed by any of your Registrations. If in doubt, don't delete any Styles from this folder.

P.S.
Since I probably won't be coming to Rome in the near future: Could you email me a plate of Spaghetti alla Carbonara? ;)

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 04:06:05 PM »
Thank you Toril and Chris!

Chris, there is an ancient quote saying: ALL ROADS TAKE TO ROME

Therefore, I'm confident that some time I'll have the pleasure.....

Angelo