Author Topic: Korg 'Songbook' to Yamaha 'Playlist' ?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline advid

Korg 'Songbook' to Yamaha 'Playlist' ?
« on: June 11, 2021, 01:50:33 PM »
..on my old Korg PA900 I can save a song (registration...key tempo, styles ect) into the Songbook BUT also save it with a number of my choice..
I look into my song/lyrics book to sing any song I want and simply enter the number at the top of the page..This takes me instantly to my song (registration)...I've got many hundreds of songs and a three number enter gets me straight to it... (great when out gigging...)
Can you do something like this in a Playlist or is the sequence fixed...?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Korg 'Songbook' to Yamaha 'Playlist' ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 01:56:28 PM »
..on my old Korg PA900 I can save a song (registration...key tempo, styles ect) into the Songbook BUT also save it with a number of my choice..
I look into my song/lyrics book to sing any song I want and simply enter the number at the top of the page..This takes me instantly to my song (registration)...I've got many hundreds of songs and a three number enter gets me straight to it... (great when out gigging...)
Can you do something like this in a Playlist or is the sequence fixed...?

You can do this on a Tyros. Does that help?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline advid

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:13:15 PM »
You can do this on a Tyros. Does that help?

Cheers,
Fred

No.....thanks.....I sold my Tyros 4 and brought a Korg PA 900....have  used it for gigs fot the past 5 years...no problems....BUT..thinking of buying an SX 900 to play at home and hope 'eventually' to put my stuff onto it and 'eventually' take it out and use it for gigs.... Can the SX900 do it like the Tyros...?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 03:06:11 PM »
You can create your own playlists and put them in the order of your choice. I usually put mine in the order I have the music set up on my IPad. Then very easy to select.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 03:19:42 PM »
No.....thanks.....I sold my Tyros 4 and brought a Korg PA 900....have  used it for gigs fot the past 5 years...no problems....BUT..thinking of buying an SX 900 to play at home and hope 'eventually' to put my stuff onto it and 'eventually' take it out and use it for gigs.... Can the SX900 do it like the Tyros...?

Unfortunately, neither the Genos nor the SX has the ability to respond to entering a song number like the Tyros did.

You can, as Eileen suggests, create a playlist of your song numbers. You would then find the song by paging through the playlist.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline advid

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 07:24:41 PM »
You can create your own playlists and put them in the order of your choice. I usually put mine in the order I have the music set up on my IPad. Then very easy to select.

...thanks but when you're out gigging 'live' people want what 'they' want....If they're up dancing and you want to keep it going for another couple of songs you can't just stop and go on to the next song in your pre-arranged playlist....  Things change and it's the people who are paying you to give them what 'they want' - not your feeling of  when i've played that, they'll like this one.... Just doesn't work when you're playing live ....maybe playing nice dinner  music where it's just background music but when the public get out of their seats to dance you have to read the room and feeling of what to play next immediately in order to keep the mood and atmosphere of the night......

Offline Oldden

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 09:51:34 PM »
Just as an extra to the reply about what people want. Before all this corona problem we used to holiday in Europe in Spain , Tenerife, the Greek islands and other places. You would get the same person playing in different hotels, restaurants, bars and so forth on different nights. Depending on where they were the songs were German, Spanish, English and more songs to suit the location. So he must have had a selection of playlists or more likely midi files for where he was at the time. So I think it may be an  idea to do something similar if it suits,  Christmas, wedding, children’s, love songs, country and western  and many others . The same song in different lists if needed. It all depends on where you play and what you what to do. Most people in an audience in a bar or similar aren’t all that fussy, if they can get up and dance or sing along they are happy, they just want an enjoyable time.
On a final note when we go to Jamaica or Mexico things seem a bit different. Reggae , salsa or the local music only no matter where you go.
Oldden

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »
...thanks but when you're out gigging 'live' people want what 'they' want....If they're up dancing and you want to keep it going for another couple of songs you can't just stop and go on to the next song in your pre-arranged playlist....  Things change and it's the people who are paying you to give them what 'they want' - not your feeling of  when i've played that, they'll like this one.... Just doesn't work when you're playing live ....maybe playing nice dinner  music where it's just background music but when the public get out of their seats to dance you have to read the room and feeling of what to play next immediately in order to keep the mood and atmosphere of the night......

We understand completely. But when you ask questions, we answer them as best we can. If you just want commiseration on gigging, we can do that too.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline advid

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »
We understand completely. But when you ask questions, we answer them as best we can. If you just want commiseration on gigging, we can do that too.

Cheers,
Fred

..My apologies..don't want to upset anyone on this site....

BUT..... I've had an idea....would this work ?
When saving a modified style as a new registration (style, tempo, key, sounds ect.) could the name be saved with  the title with a 'number' included .....Then entering search just type in the number and it wlll be found ? No need to save it in a pre configured playlist...?

My background : I 'sing' (not play just an instrumental) to about 95% of my performances using my PA900 for backing. I have my lyrics all typed out in a big fat A5 book on my  keyboard stand with the number of the song at the top of the page with the title... When I'm singing I if I want to do similar stuff I can find a simiar tempo/style title and find it in the book while still playing and type in the number ready to continue instantly while people are still dancing...I the press enter..my new song/style comes up and I can continue almost seamlessly...

To take over from my Korg while 'gigging' a new keyboard must fit in with this sort of method....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:11:53 AM by advid »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 12:52:00 PM »
..My apologies..don't want to upset anyone on this site....

BUT..... I've had an idea....would this work ?
When saving a modified style as a new registration (style, tempo, key, sounds ect.) could the name be saved with  the title with a 'number' included .....Then entering search just type in the number and it wlll be found ? No need to save it in a pre configured playlist...?

My background : I 'sing' (not play just an instrumental) to about 95% of my performances using my PA900 for backing. I have my lyrics all typed out in a big fat A5 book on my  keyboard stand with the number of the song at the top of the page with the title... When I'm singing I if I want to do similar stuff I can find a simiar tempo/style title and find it in the book while still playing and type in the number ready to continue instantly while people are still dancing...I the press enter..my new song/style comes up and I can continue almost seamlessly...

To take over from my Korg while 'gigging' a new keyboard must fit in with this sort of method....

Aren’t you now proposing to do exactly what I suggested a couple of days ago: create a playlist of your song numbers. Or, you can name your registrations and have them start with your song number.

There have been many threads on this forum about how to seamlessly move from one song to another in a gig. Gary Diamond was a master at it.

The answer is you can get a Yamaha keyboard to do what you want. It won’t be exactly the same procedure as with the Korg, but it will work.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline advid

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »
Aren’t you now proposing to do exactly what I suggested a couple of days ago: create a playlist of your song numbers. Or, you can name your registrations and have them start with your song number.

There have been many threads on this forum about how to seamlessly move from one song to another in a gig. Gary Diamond was a master at it.

The answer is you can get a Yamaha keyboard to do what you want. It won’t be exactly the same procedure as with the Korg, but it will work.

Cheers,
Fred

.....I 'don't' want a fixed 'playlist'.....I want to pick any song from my hundreds of songs/styles immediately as I'm playing.....then go straight into it..Not the next one from a fixed playlist...
Korg owners will know what I'm saying...I think Yamaha still hasn't got the flexibility of the Korgs...
No disrespect to anyone..I'll probably be buying an SX 900 but only for home use until I suss out the OS and al the other stuff....

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »
I believe that what you are describing can be done on Yamaha keyboards . . . . it just depends on how much time, money and effort is invested.

This is what i have . . . .

Yamaha Genos keyboard . . . . iPad with all songs in PDF . . . .. SongBook+ software .....Quicco Sound Mi.1 wireless midi adapter

The iPad is wirelesly connected to the Genos keyboard.  The Songbook+ software is loaded in the iPad and contains all my songs in PDF format.

All my songs are stored in PDF format in the iPad controlled by SongBook+ software.  I have a list of ALL songs by song name in alpha order . . . .. i can select any song from the iPad and automatically and instantly bring up the corresponding registration on the Genos keyboard as well as the PDF song (with chords and lyrics) on the iPad screen.  The transition from one song to another is seamless and immediate with virtually no time in between songs.

I can either create gig playlists in advance or just use the main list in alpha order and just touch the name of the song and instantly bring the Genos registration ready to play.  The times i have used gig playlists most of the time i get out of the playlist and go to the main screen . . . .

Don't even need to number the songs . . . . as long as i know the name of the song, just touch on the iPad screen and that's it.   Can have hundreds or thousands of songs this way . . . . . can select by song name or by Genre, or Singer or Author or you name it . . . . . .

Not sure that you want to do it this way because it takes a lot of time and effort to set it up (one time investment,  to add new songs it is very easy once I have my process setup) . . . .just saying it can be done using a Yamaha keyboard.

Transition time between songs is virtually zero . . . . .I do it with a Yamaha Genos keyboard. . . .  not sure about the Yamaha SX900 because i do not have one.   However, Chris has confirmed the same can be done with the SX900 (post below).

Have a great day.

Note: By the way . . .with the iPad i got rid of the big fat binder book(s).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:30:43 AM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »
... This is what i have . . . .

Yamaha Genos keyboard . . . . iPad with all songs in PDF . . . .. SongBook+ software

... I do it with a Yamaha Genos keyboard. . . . not sure about the Yamaha SX900 because i do not have one. ...

It works the same way on the SX900 as it does on the Genos. The only difference is that SX models have no built-in WiFi module. But a wireless MIDI connection is more stable anyway if you use an external Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter instead of WiFi (e.g., "Yamaha MD-BT01", "CME WIDI Master" or "Quicco Sound Mi.1 II").

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:09:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
Chris
Good to know the Yamaha SX900 can also connect the way i described for Genos . . . .

I agree with your wifi statement . . . the other issue i had with wifi connection is that not all gigging sites have wifi available . . . . and to avoid monthly charges for a wifi cell phone plan account i use the wireless Quicco M1 connecting the iPad and Genos via bluetooth.  I have also used the Yamaha MD-BT01 succesfully.

Thanks 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 10:21:40 PM »
.....I 'don't' want a fixed 'playlist'.....I want to pick any song from my hundreds of songs/styles immediately as I'm playing.....then go straight into it..Not the next one from a fixed playlist...
Korg owners will know what I'm saying...I think Yamaha still hasn't got the flexibility of the Korgs...
No disrespect to anyone..I'll probably be buying an SX 900 but only for home use until I suss out the OS and al the other stuff....

No one, other than you, said a playlist was 'fixed'. You can jump around in a playlist, just like any other list. I assure you I can bring up a requested song from a playlist faster than you can find the lyrics in your book.

But as you're unwilling to believe anything we have to say, I'm out of here.

Enjoy your Korg,

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:42:46 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline advid

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
No one, other than you, said a playlist was 'fixed'. You can jump around in a playlist, just like any other list. I assure you I can bring up a requested song from a playlist faster than you can find the lyrics in your book.

But as you're unwilling to believe anything we have to say, I'm out of here.

Enjoy your Korg,

Cheers,
Fred

....I'm out too..many thanks for all your suggestions.....

I'll definitely try some 'when' I get the SX900....