Author Topic: My New Genos  (Read 5268 times)

Offline DaveD

My New Genos
« on: June 07, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
My new Genos arrives later this week. Any set-up tips would be useful. I have upgraded from a Tyros 3.

Thanks,
DaveD

Pincho Paxton

Re: My New Genos
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Drsun19

Offline acparker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »
Back in the day, I too updated from the Tyros 3 to the Genos.

Two things I'd recommend.

First, I would recommend saving all of your registrations and other stuff like midi files, if you use them.  They will work on the Genos, for the most part.  Some styles will be changed to something 'close' on the Genos, and the voice will often default to the 'legacy' set.  But they are generally playable, and it beats having to do each one from scratch. 

Second, before playing a single note, set up the EQ Gold settings you can find on the forums.  I was very unimpressed with the sound of the Genos when I first got it, and the EQ Gold settings made a world of difference.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Genos!

Adam

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
It is a very personnel choice when it comes to EQ settings and I prefer the on board ones to the Gold settings which I did not like at all.
Firstly I would make myself aware of using the touch screen and how you now select things. Then take a look at the short cuts to can assign to six Assignable buttons and the six at the bottom of the screen. These can save a lot of fumbling finding things when starting out. Before loading any of your Tyros 3 content in Make up some folders on your User section (which we now have in place of a Hard Drive).
  I personally purchased a 64Gb USB stick which I placed in the USB port under the keyboard. This is used as a Backup and is removed from time to time and backed up on my computer. That way if something happens to my user I have a back up of it in two places.
  If you are going to use the free Playlists down loadable from the Yamaha site also save this onto this stick. It can only be read by USB1 so make sure you have no other sticks plugged in on start up. There are other freebies you can download on the Yamaha site also.
    Hope this will help. 

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Hi Eileen

I must admit that those Gold settings are too much and i find that if you choose a Yamaha setting and tweak them slighty you get a nice clarity and not boomy.
My room is about 12x12 ft and square so i have to be careful and on my DXR8's i switch the Contour from front of house to monitor and that gives me a great sound of quality.
It does take a lot of time to understand your room and that says all rooms are different and the only way that someone is going to get their ideal sound is that they have to use those good old lug holes. ;D
Now that i have used sound proofing and Sonarworks for room correction my recordings are sounding a lot better and not muddy and boomy bass like i used to get.
I use my Focal Alpha 50's for recording monitors and AKG 702's for headphone mixing and the combination is great.
The best thing to say to people is that getting your room right is the key and it is frustrating getting there.
I also stick a load of music on whilst in the room if i am not playing and that is another thing to get used to the pro recordings. It slowly tunes in your ears to the room that you are in.
It all takes time as it is almost impossible to cut corners.
I am still learning and i think that i will never stop as there is always another hill to climb.
Oh well it stops me from losing my memory ,HOPE!!! ;D

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Drsun19

Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »
Do you know how to programm it?

You download the FCB1010 Manager app, and then in the MIDI settings of the GENOS you can see all the CC codes in a list. Once you set up the Pedals to use the same CC codes it is done. If you decide that you want to try a pedal to do something else like Registration +, you can either change the pedals again, or just change the Genos MIDI command for that CC code, because all the CC codes can be anything you want them to be.

It's very easy, I'm rubbish at MIDI on some keyboards, but the Genos MIDI is the easiest of them all.

You can copy my settings until you think of some that you prefer....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:12:10 PM by Pincho Paxton »

The following users thanked this post: Drsun19

Offline DaveD

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
Thanks to all for the tips and advice. I am slowly getting to grips with the Genos.

DaveD

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »
Yes it is a great keyboard and will do most of what you want without having to buy extra's until you are ready to do so.
  I am afraid other members suggestions of EQ and pedals do not help when you want to know tips how to get up and running with a new keyboard. It can blind you with science and be off putting.

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 04:00:11 PM »
Yes it is a great keyboard and will do most of what you want without having to buy extra's until you are ready to do so.
  I am afraid other members suggestions of EQ and pedals do not help when you want to know tips how to get up and running with a new keyboard. It can blind you with science and be off putting.

I bought my pedal to go with my Genos, it keeps your hands free. I also bought 4 other keyboards at the same time, a Drum machine, Cubase, FruityLoops, a modular Synth, Force, Aeros, Digitakt, a mixer.

I felt that I kept it simple by just saying pedals... lol.

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 06:09:34 PM »
Eileen is right, 99% of people buying a Genos just want to get playing “tunes”.  They are not trying to create a production studio. Throwing in this kind of stuff as a suggestion for a new player is misleading and not what this forum is about.
Mike

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 06:33:24 PM »
Eileen is right, 99% of people buying a Genos just want to get playing “tunes”.  They are not trying to create a production studio. Throwing in this kind of stuff as a suggestion for a new player is misleading and not what this forum is about.
Mike

OK I will leave your forum then, and never come back. Bye!!! Seems like you are a bunch of trouble makers to me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:36:49 PM by Pincho Paxton »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 07:27:26 PM »
With all due respect,  this was nothing to get offended over! This forum has given help and support to thousands of menbers for two decades. We value each other and do not call each other names!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:07:50 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 07:37:28 PM »
Don’t worry Toril just let him go. I suspect most people didn’t like his (or her??) silly avatar anyway.  ;D
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 07:47:44 PM »
OK I will leave your forum then, and never come back. Bye!!! Seems like you are a bunch of trouble makers to me.

Nice knowing you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 07:52:43 PM »
Don’t worry Toril just let him go. I suspect most people didn’t like his (or her??) silly avatar anyway.  ;D
Mike

Which is immediately calling people names, a contradiction to the previous post already. You are all just trouble makers who want to use your way of thinking on others, and not allow people to learn faster than they can learn. Average intelligence may rule by numbers on the internet, but I will do something about that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:55:17 PM by Pincho Paxton »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 09:19:49 PM »
How?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »
Well DaveD now you know  .. if you want all those Jim Reeves songs you have been asking about to sound great on your new Genos you absolutely have to have this midi pedal board,  a drum machine, a modular synth, Cubase, Fruity Loops ........ We should have advised of this but when you only have average intelligence ....well sometimes things get missed 😂

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »
Well DaveD now you know  .. if you want all those Jim Reeves songs you have been asking about to sound great on your new Genos you absolutely have to have this midi pedal board,  a drum machine, a modular synth, Cubase, Fruity Loops ........ We should have advised of this but when you only have average intelligence ....well sometimes things get missed 😂

I only said 'pedal board' sorry if a piano should come without pedals to satisfy the group opinion. You remind me of school where you weren't allowed to act intelligent in front of the other kids.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:56:10 PM by Pincho Paxton »

Offline RONBO

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 01:39:16 AM »
YIKES!!!!

Stop it already
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 02:12:41 AM »
He won't cause any more trouble, Ron!!!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline RONBO

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 05:21:41 AM »
I see he is now a guest. Thanks for keeping the peace,Roger
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline DaveD

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »
I'm disappointed my initial email has caused so much aggravation on this great forum.

However, I must say that I believe that Pincho Paxton was genuinely trying to help and that the pedal board he mentioned, was of interest.

DaveD

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
I'm disappointed my initial email has caused so much aggravation on this great forum.

However, I must say that I believe that Pincho Paxton was genuinely trying to help and that the pedal board he mentioned, was of interest.

Your opinion of Pincho is different from most.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons