Author Topic: Rock Organ JS too loud at top end!  (Read 2050 times)

Offline shezza

Rock Organ JS too loud at top end!
« on: June 05, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »
Hello All, I have noticed when I select the Rock Organ JS voice the volume level gets louder toward the top of the keyboard with top C being being very loud. Has anyone got any ides about this.........Thanks

Offline overover

Re: Rock Organ JS too loud at top end!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »
Hi shezza,

it is the case with many Organ Voices that the volume in the upper part of the keyboard appears to increase. As far as I know, this is also the case with the electromechanical originals. Many Organ sounds consist of several superimposed different footings, and since the human ear perceives sounds in the so-called "presence" range (approx. 4 - 6 kHz) louder than the other frequencies, it can happen that certain Organ sounds are felt "too loud" in that range.

Since Organ sounds are ideally played with a Volume Pedal anyway, which only affects the Right parts (or possibly only the relevant part with the Organ voice), the whole thing shouldn't be a problem.

Possibly it could also be due to the Master EQ setting of the keyboard that these presence frequencies are reproduced "too loud" with Organ sounds.

If you do NOT play Organ sounds with a Volume Pedal, you could use a Compressor type Insert Effect with sampled Organ Voices like "RockOrgan JS" to get an even volume. If a Rotary Speaker Type Insert Effect is used with Organ Flutes Voices, you could use the effect parameters "EQ High" (Frequency / Gain), "Drive" and/or "LPF Cutoff Frequency" to reduce the high frequencies a little.

Basically, it could also help to use the Part EQ (in the Mixer or in the Voice Setting) and reduce the highs a little there.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, MadrasGiaguari, TheBitfiddler

Offline shezza

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »
Hi shezza,

it is the case with many Organ Voices that the volume in the upper part of the keyboard appears to increase. As far as I know, this is also the case with the electromechanical originals. Many Organ sounds consist of several superimposed different footings, and since the human ear perceives sounds in the so-called "presence" range (approx. 4 - 6 kHz) louder than the other frequencies, it can happen that certain Organ sounds are felt "too loud" in that range.

Since Organ sounds are ideally played with a Volume Pedal anyway, which only affects the Right parts (or possibly only the relevant part with the Organ voice), the whole thing shouldn't be a problem.

Possibly it could also be due to the Master EQ setting of the keyboard that these presence frequencies are reproduced "too loud" with Organ sounds.

If you do NOT play Organ sounds with a Volume Pedal, you could use a Compressor type Insert Effect with sampled Organ Voices like "RockOrgan JS" to get an even volume. If a Rotary Speaker Type Insert Effect is used with Organ Flutes Voices, you could use the effect parameters "EQ High" (Frequency / Gain), "Drive" and/or "LPF Cutoff Frequency" to reduce the high frequencies a little.

Basically, it could also help to use the Part EQ (in the Mixer or in the Voice Setting) and reduce the highs a little there.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
Very informative thank you very much.

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:39:39 PM »
This will be the case with the original Hammond models. There were not enough tonewheels in the generator unit to take the higher footages up to the top of the manuals, so they 'folded back', dropping down an octave. This emphasised the lower drawbars, effectively boosting the sound. If Yamaha have duplicated this, good for them, it's accurate!

You can play around with the EQ etc if you want something that's more to your taste!

FWIW, I have the volume pedal affecting all parts, style, left and right, but I'm not getting into that argument again - I know I'm right!  ;D ;D
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
Dear Shezza,

I used to have a wonderful Hammond, and the expression pedal is a basic component of playing an Hammond organ. The fact that usually it is called "expression" and not "volume", tells the difference. It is the same with other instrument, like, for instance, saxophones and many others. If you keep the volume static, you get a not natural sounding. Expression (volume) pedal instead helps you to create a more natural sound.

In Genos it is very easy to connect a volume pedal, and assign the pedal action to the parts that you prefer, according to the instrument (voice) that you want to play, and accordingly with your personal taste.

In my case I have a Yamaha FC7 pedal, controlling all keyboard parts (Lower, Right1-2-3), on any voices combinations, but not on style parts.
Besides organ voices, it is nice to use the volume (expression) pedal with pads, choirs. And the pedal action is very effective on other instruments as all brass, synth, ecc.
I don't use the pedal with decay voices, as piano and guitars, where I prefer to control the sound with velocity.

It is a matter of personal taste. But organs do require the expression pedal.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.