Author Topic: Genos Playlist & Single Finger Chords  (Read 5770 times)

Offline muzicman147

Genos Playlist & Single Finger Chords
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
Hi, I've been playing a Genos now for almost 2yrs and still can't work out why if I load a song from playlist it overwrites single finger chords and chooses multi finger instead.
Now I get that you can almost guarantee that most Playlist were written using Multi finger, but on the Tyros 4 when using Music finder the keyboard loaded the files fine with no changes to the way the chords were played.
The really annoying thing is that if I change the setting back to single finger the minute I go to the next programme button it goes straight back to multi finger.
If anyone knows how to stop this I would be most grateful.
Cheers
Drew
PS.
Before the usual "You should learn how to play using proper fingered chords" I lost the use of my left arm so now have to play the chords using a piece of wood in my mouth.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, Colin D

Online overover

Re: Genos Playlist & Single Finger Chords
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »
Hi Colin,

the short answer is: To prevent the currently set fingering type from changing by Registrations, go to "Menu > Utility > Parameter Lock" and tick the checkbox "Fingering".

In the same way you can also lock your Split Points if desired.

Note: To store the changed settings you have to CLOSE the "Parameter Lock" display (by using the X symbol or pressing the Exit button)!

By the way: You can play the Single Finger chords (one finger = major chords, two fingers = minor or dominant seventh chords, three fingers = minor seventh chords) even if the fingering type is set to "Multi Finger". So you don't necessarily have to switch to "Single Finger". In other words: With "Multi Finger" you can do exactly the same.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:52:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
The musicfinder was quite a limited feature. The playlist offers much more control of the set up and is an overall improvement.
I am sorry to hear about your left arm, must be very difficult. But have you ever considered a set of midi bass pedals - like an organ. Maybe someone else can throw more light on this but I think they could possibly be set up to trigger chords.
Mike

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »
Hi Chris
Thank you so much for the answer, it works great now,no more annoying changes.
Cheers
Drew

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
Hi Mike,
I have been told before about the use of Midi Pedals, but that was back in the dark ages when most people thought Midi was some sort of secret art.
When the world sorts its self out I may have to take a trip to someone who deals in Midi equipment on a fact finding mission.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Cheers
Drew

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Hi Chris
Thank you so much for the answer, it works great now,no more annoying changes.
Cheers
Drew

Thanks for your feedback, Drew!

I'm happy that it now works for you.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 05:18:51 PM »
Drew
I don't think there is any doubt that you can get suitable midi bass pedals and its not difficult to midi them to the Genos. Take a look at the Studiologic MP-113, - simple, reasonably priced. The thing I don't know is whether they can be used to drive the accompaniment. But I will bet someone here knows this already.
Mike

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »
Drew
I don't think there is any doubt that you can get suitable midi bass pedals and its not difficult to midi them to the Genos. Take a look at the Studiologic MP-113, - simple, reasonably priced. The thing I don't know is whether they can be used to drive the accompaniment. But I will bet someone here knows this already.
Mike

When using a MIDI Bass Pedal and the fingering type is set to Multi Finger or Single Finger, you can play major chords by pressing one single key. For minor chords and dominant seventh chords you have to press two keys (the root note of the chord plus the next black key to the left for minor or the next white key to the left for seventh). For minor seventh chords you have to press all three of these keys. If you use both feet if necessary, you should be able to play all four of the named chord types with the bass pedal. (If  necessary you can press two adjacent keys at the same time with one foot).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 05:50:56 PM by overover »

Offline acparker

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »
The MP-113 may be reasonably priced, but at $670.00, it is too expensive for my budget.  So instead, I built some Bass Midi Pedals using the Spinet Pedals from an old Lowery Home Organ I got for real cheap.  Added an Arduino and Midi Port, built a case, and now I'm trying to learn how to play on them.  If there's interest, I'll create a post of how I built them.

Anyway, the two points I wanted to make is to make sure you turn on the Cord Detect Feature in the Midi Menu, for the correct Midi channel that the pedals are using.  The other is while I was interested in trying to use the Pedals for chords only, using the single finger method, I have to admit that I'm much to fat for that to work.  I can't get both feet over to the pedals comfortably.  But for the Church Music I play, I've been really liking the effects I get using the Pedals with the On Bass feature.  It sounds much more lyrical to have the bass line moving smoothly, with the possibility of passing tones.  Some day, I hope to graduate to playing the actual 4 part harmonies. 

Adam

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
I believe I saw them for sale at Sweetwater for about $400.
If both feet are used you can with some practice of course get all four chord types, but even if not it has to be a big improvement over using a stick in your mouth.
Mike

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 03:22:38 PM »
I believe I saw them for sale at Sweetwater for about $400.
If both feet are used you can with some practice of course get all four chord types, but even if not it has to be a big improvement over using a stick in your mouth.
Mike

Just been looking and I can get this for £350 here in the UK, but to be fair for that sort of money I'd need a good while to try them out first to make sure it works as well as my "stick"
( A piece of finely shaped, finished pine with hard wearing plastic on both the mouth piece and the pointer end).
Do you know if the pedals can be used with the single finger chords to archive say a F sharp 7 chord ?

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »
How can you do that with your stick? You are never going to be able to do everything with either the stick or your feet. I admire your ingenuity, but I surely think the feet would be a vast improvement, both in ease of use and range of chords played.
Mike

Online overover

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
... Do you know if the pedals can be used with the single finger chords to archive say a F sharp 7 chord ?

Hi Drew,

yes, this is possible. For a F#7 chord you have to press F# and F keys at the same time (in Multi Finger or Single Finger mode).

I already described those Single Finger chord fingerings (that can also be used in Multi Finger mode) in my Replies #1 and #6.

Please see also the attached picture.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:00:49 PM by overover »

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
How can you do that with your stick? You are never going to be able to do everything with either the stick or your feet. I admire your ingenuity, but I surely think the feet would be a vast improvement, both in ease of use and range of chords played.
Mike
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9a3uE50ik
This is what you can do with a stick and 35yrs of practice !!

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
Drew
That is impressive. Amazing how people can adapt and still succeed. You play a lot better than many people with two arms! If I heard that without the visual I would never have guessed how you we’re doing it.
But I still think you will find the foot pedals a significant improvement.
Which fingering setting do currently you use?
Mike

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 09:43:14 AM »
Chris & Mike
Thank you both for your suggestions and help, I certainly will check out the midi pedals when i have the money.
All the Best
Drew