Author Topic: Changing from S970 to SX900  (Read 4470 times)

Offline alanclare

Changing from S970 to SX900
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:15:10 AM »
Can anyone say how hard or easy they found making the transition? I’m hovering.

Alan

Offline keyboards

Re: Changing from S970 to SX900
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
Hi Alan
I made the change from s910 to the sx900 and the OS is a bit difficult to get your head around, but you will soon get into it. This is easily the best keyboard I have ever had. buy it, you will be very pleased with the sounds on board.
John.

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
Hi Alan,
  You will find most of the operating system the same It is the selection and saving from screen that is a little different but you soon get used to it. It is a great little keyboard and having three right hand voices is lovely.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
My SX900 replaced an S950 and an S710 before that.  After a couple of weeks I almost sent the SX back as it was enough different from the two prior keyboards.  However, a week or two later I made it over the hump and am now glad I kept it.  Be advised that there is a learning curve, however. 

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »
From a Ty5/76 to an SX900 was a big step but after a week I was very happy I made this move.

Best regards, JH

Offline alanclare

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
My thanks to all who replied to my question. Jeff_M - I have taken to heart your final sentence. I think that the learning curve is the scary unknown. I'm hardly in my dotage, yet, but I find that it is harder and harder to deal with new pieces of technology. I am going to stick with my first love, the S970. I still enjoy what I do with it and that really is all that matters.

Thanks again,

Aln

Offline keyboards

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 06:44:01 PM »
Alan, age is just a number. I was 80 in May and I even bought a headset mike and am now singing along with my sx900 although my voice is suffering from being an ex smoker and having COPD, I am having a great time with this keyboard, I play it every day.
John.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 07:52:57 PM »
I went from Tyros 5 and S975 to Genos, and had no problems. But I must say the S970 and S975 are very good keyboards. I kept mine. I kept all of them. But I am a little crazy😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 08:06:27 AM »
I went from Tyros 5 and S975 to Genos, and had no problems. But I must say the S970 and S975 are very good keyboards. I kept mine. I kept all of them. But I am a little crazy😀
Toril

Some people collect postage stamps, whereas you...

Alan

Offline jaebea

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 08:52:42 AM »
I went from the 970 to the SX900 nearly 2 years ago.  It wasn't hard but there are differences. A few things are in different places and two style genres are gone, Country and Ballads.  A few styles are gone but most of the Country and Ballad styles are mixed up in the others.  The two best new functions is the touch window (instead of the buttons on the sides) and the chord recorder which was something I thought the 970 could do but no cigar!  The SX900 is an amazing instrument and wouldn't give it up for anything!!

Offline Enildo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »
Hi Alan!
Don't miss out on the good in life, which is to experience good things!
You'll adapt very quickly or maybe in your own time, but you'll get there.
If you can do one thing, do it! Don't limit yourself by age or someone who will tell you you're not capable.
Don't even listen to yourself! lol
Simply accept the challenge and soon you will be teaching someone!

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline alanclare

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
Enildo

I know, I know. You make it sound very tempting - which it is. But as with so many things in life, it’s a question of priorities. I live on my own and a fair bit of my time is engaged in essentials. And then there is physical exercise, walking, cycling. And so the list goes on. All around the interior walls of my domicile, I have affixed a sign in large print, “Get up and do it”. In other words, “Don’t just think about it, Do It.”

I’ve just had a look at my profile and it tells me, much to my surprise, that come next December, I shall have been a member of this forum and an owner of my s970 for 7 years. I settled on this instrument because I wanted something that would help keep my mind active, be creative, and give me satisfaction. Another stipulation was that I should never be fully conversant with all the things that it could do. So far, it has met those requirements exactly, and I see no reason to expect it to not continue to do so.

I am a technologist. Technical subjects attract me (I wrote my first Assembler code program on the university mainframe 50 years ago). If I bought an SX900, I have no doubt that given time, I should eventually learn how to do most of what I can do on my s970, and a few other things as well. Cost is not a problem, but time is. I cannot justify it. I could be spending it on something of more value. An activity on my bicycle, an experience new to me, a visit. The list is endless.

And it includes finding something new in my beloved Yamaha Arranger.

Thanks all the same,

Alan

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
Alan... When I grow up I want to be like you! lol
I envy you for your Age vs Activity ratio and I want to be that way in about 40 years. lol

Look, I know there are many priorities in life and I guarantee that the new instrument will give you many hours of fun and excitement. That's how I feel when I switch keyboards.
Birmingham will be happier! Believe it!!!

Good luck buddy, your final decision is what really matters!
Enildo
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 04:35:27 PM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »
What I like about the SX series is the new interface. It looks much better and seems more intuitive too. Having a S970 myself, I feel the updates made to the Mixer screen itself in the SX line would be worth the upgrade.
PSS480, PSS290, PSR630, PSR3000, MOX6, Current: PSR S970 + PSR SX600 + Casio CTK-240

DonaldG

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:47:23 PM »
Greetings Fellow Musicians: I am new to this forum so excuse me if I am in the wrong page.
I am a long time guitar and keyboard player and vocalist. Having recently retired from 30 years of monitoring British Columbia’s Dams, I now have time for my first love..Music.
I have been playing guitar and singing for years but arthritis in my fingers has made me spend more time on keyboards. I have been recording on my Zoom 24 with my Strat, my Yamaha PSR E433, and my Sure SM58 for several years with pretty good results. I decided I deserved a better keyboard and recently purchased an SX 900. I am very happy with the sounds and the feel but have had zero luck in getting my mic to work. I bought a ART USB DualPre PreAmp yesterday, and still nothing. The Yamaha dealer had no idea what the problem was/is so I am here to ask if anyone can help. The main reason I purchased the 900 over the 700 was the vocal harmonizing feature. Did I waste 1000 dollars?
Can Anyone please help? Thanks. Don.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
There is a mic gain knob at the back of the keyboard, but i guess you have tried that. The mic has to be dynamic the XS900 doesn't have phantom power. Maybe the mic cable is broken?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:50:50 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

btweengigs

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 01:24:58 AM »
If you are a singer, you did not waste your money on the SX900. As stated above, be sure the mic gain switch is set to mic and not guitar and that it is turned up.  When setting up song registrations, I always like to have one of the buttons under the monitor assigned to turn vocal harmony on and off. Enjoy your SX 900

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 01:50:06 AM »
Alan,

When in doubt... take no action!  You should feel comfortable with your decision to change keyboards.  Maybe going to a dealer and trying out a sx900 will make you more certain about your final choice.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline alanclare

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 06:29:21 AM »
Joe

I may do just that. Sound advice. Thank you.

Alan

Offline music by allen

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 06:36:21 AM »
This is in reply to our new member Donald G.

Refer to page 100 of the sx900 owners manual for setting up the mic. Your sm58 will work perfectly with this keyboard. When recording into your Zoom 24 you probably used a balanced xlr cable into the recorder. You will need an XLR (mic end) to 1/4 inch (keyboard end) cable since the keyboard is an unbalanced input. You don't need the ART pre. That is only for recording into a computer(audio interface).  The manual shows how to access the MIC setting display either from the menu button or a dedicated "MIC SETTING / VOCAL HARMONY" button on the top of the keyboard. Don't forget the gain control for the mic on the back next to the 1/4 inch input jack ( as Toril previously mentioned ).

I hope this was a help. Good luck,

Allen

Offline alanclare

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
Joe

I’ve just twigged that I made a pun in my previous post. “Sound advice”.

Is “sound” a homonym or a homograph?

Alan

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
Once you have touch screen, you'll never go back to buttons. However, the SX-900 has both touch screen AND buttons, making the transition easy, and more important... fun!
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings